5 years since 9/11.. What do you think?

It seems to me that our eyes have been opened up in the last 10 years. Oklahoma City Bombing April 23, 1995
Columbine April 21, 1999 and Sept 11, 2001. All of those I remember and all were significant in changing America. Oklahoma because it was in the Heartland, Columbine because of the scale of the attack and planning, and Sept 11 because we learned that as a whole we are not safe from threats abroad.

BabaOReilly said:
I would blame the media as much as anyone for cultivating fear in the American public, and I didn't need "Bowling For Columbine" to make that conclusion. Fear sells. Sad but true. I think the government just reaps the benefits.
What is better? Fear or a world of daydreamers? :eek:

btt now ;)

I think there's a happy medium myself... but I'm Canadian and we're living that up here. :)

Plus, I will continue this in the new thread, as per DaWacko...

I watched that 9/11 special last night, the one with the footage with the firemen inside the tower. Let's just say I was teary-eyed the entire time. :(

I watched the same documentary Baba. It was very touching. I've seen the videos of the planes crashing into the towers countless of times now, but I still get shivers when I watch them.

Speaking of 9/11-related TV specials, did anyone else watch "American Vesuvius"? I was excited because I'd read Charles Pelligrino's book, "Ghosts of Vesuvius", which is brilliant. Goes into a LOT more depth than they could in a 2-hour TV show (the first part of the book is heavy on the geo- and astro-physics, but don't let it scare you off if you're not a science nerd...he explains things so beautifully, you'll get it...) but it was very well done, I thought. Does away with the politics and extraneous forces and deals with the nuts and bolts of what happened, in 79 AD and 2001 AD. Heavy on the forensics (hello, CSI fans!) but also on the humanity - not at all without emotion. If History Channel re-runs it, I highly recommend it. If not - read the book, which I recommend anyway...

I was in 7th grade on 9/11/01 and I remember being really confused as to what was actually going on. I remember the kid that carpooled with us asking if we had heard about the plane crashing into the WTC and I just shook it off like "Oh its no big deal, planes crash all the time. It was probably just an accident anyways." Then I got to school and my teacher wouldnt tell us what was going on. I didnt eat my lunch that day because I was too upset. And then when I heard that it was terrorists...I got even more upset. I actually thought that there were terrorists on the ground coming to get me. And then I got home and I looked up in the sky and remember seeing the most brilliant blue ever. And it was so eerie because there were no planes in the sky.

And that night I remember watching the news and crying...I didnt sleep for at least a week.

The next week I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. I think the emotional stress was just too much for my immune system.

My prayers go out to all the victim's families. You are not forgotten.

This might sound weird, but everytime I see the footage of the planes hitting the Towers, it feels like I'm seeing it for the first time. It still brings tears to my eyes and makes my heart stop dead.

So often? :lol: don't be so full of yourself, I was merely replying to you.
Thread's open now. See yall there.

I was getting ready for a meeting, when someone called and told us to turn on the TV, when we did we saw the first plane had already hit and as we watched the second hit. I was afraid, Especially when I saw all of the firefighters going in. I knew that my cousin and uncle were there inside, when they collapsed we had no idea weather they were gone or not and we did not know for several days. They both made it out but they lost 8 and 11 members from their squads. We were frantic for quite a while. and I feel kind of guilty that I am releaved that they live when so many have died.

I know there are a million stories about where everyone was and what they thought so I am not going to share mine. I am going to give you this little tidbit however.

We were reading a book in school about 9/11 today and a father talked about how he went running into his daughter's school that was next to the towers. Some kids were screaming...they had parents that worked in those buildings, and as they looked outside their windows they saw bodies going past. I left the class shaking. It makes you sooo greatful that you are alive and that so many others are not....it almost makes you guilty like joy7 said.

i think this event will become the next 'where were you when jfk was shot?' i know exactly where i was. it was near the end of my second class (food and nutrition) when the principal made an announcement to the school. in my next class (history) my teacher got a tv and we were able to get a fuzzy feed of ctv. we watched to coverage all class. no matter how many times you see the footage of those planes going into the buildings its still so hard to believe it happened. this christmas im going to new york with a friend, and ground zero will definately be an important stop.
as for revenge on terrorist? i seriously think theres nothing we can do. if theyre willing to die themselves in these attacks how is threatening them with jail or execution going to affect their decisions? its just really sad that some people can do these things to each other and feel proud about it.

I agree Allmaple I don't know how some people can be so freaking ugly really, I hate what they do, it's stupid really, there stupid, taking innocent lives does not get you into heaven in my opinion.
and I also agree with you that it will be hard to stop them, but I really don't think any new attacks will acure in the future... at least i hope they don't... sorry it's just me ranting.

Wow, it's been 5 years all ready? oh it feels like it all happened yesterday, it's a weird feeling really.

I was 16 when it happened, we lived in Seattle at the time, I shared my room with my two sisters. they were still asleep as was the rest of the house.
I had a thing I did where I would listen to the radio (KISS FM) in the morning for the morning show.
well the DJ was going to do the weather, when she was interrupted by the other DJ, he said that a small plane had hit on of the Twin towers.
the freaked me out, I listened some more and quickly got up and ran to tell my mom, she didn't go to work till later, we turned on the TV and turned to CNN, and we were just in time to see the second plane hit, it wa sthe most horrifying thing I have ever seen, I almost thought it was all not happening, or I wished it wasn't.
soon the whole family was up and watching as it happened, watching all the terror and we were all shocked.
then as word came of two more planes crashing, I didn't know what to think.
my mom was trying to call her sister who lived in New York, near the towers, she worked near them (she's fine, was no where near them) but it was hard since half the country was calling New York at the time.
then as the first tower fell my mom said it was falling, I didn't believe it, then I realized she was right, after the second fell, I didn't know what to do, i was scared, confused, I felt for all the people I saw running from the clouds, I had no idea what was going on.
I prayed that this wasn't going to happen all over the US.
by the time that day ended, we were all spent, we kept the TV's on the news for a few more days, just watching and listening.
I honestly don't know what all of those people felt, from the people in the planes, the people in the boulding's, and the people on the ground, it must have seemed like the end of the world for them, it almost felt like that to me.
I will never forget that day, I have only been to New York once in my life, I was 3 years old, I don't remember a thing, but I plan on going there soon.
it brings back horrible memories for me every time I see any footage of it, but I can't turn a way, I just watch it and wonder little things, like if this happened, or this did not.
I'm hoping nothing like this will ever happen again, and I really don't think it will, after the thwarted attacks from London a couple months ago, I see that tptb are trying to handle it, I may not have much faith in most of the government, but I honestly believe this will never happen again.

God Bless America...
God Bless the world for that matter.

SMW

(I hope it wasn't to long, I have never writtin about the 9-11 tradigy and I hade to get it out, and I some times tend to get to wordy)

Us going into Iraq is a completely whole other topic. 9/11 has nothing to do with that. The only thing that connects it is Bush and he, well, we're not going to go there.

9/11 was just a day that literally took all of us by suprise. I lost my Aunt in it and to this day, I can not even step towards the WTC because I'm afraid I'll see her body even though they've cleaned it all up.

What sickens me is the people that believe the government was all behind this. Get over it. They're not. My God. There's no way. Too much evidence pointing against them so do not try to tell me.

And today, in my Advanced Government class, we began our 9/11 Project and I'm excited yet horrified at the same time. And when I'm finish, I plan on showing everyone about it. Everything I've learned, the stories we were told, etc.

Five years later and we're so numb that the mourning is unbearable.

I'm really sorry about your Aunt, Tuesday. Please believe me when I say I'm not numb or callous about that event at all.

Could you PM me a link to your 9/11 project when you're finished? I'd be interested in seeing it.

it brings back horrible memories for me every time I see any footage of it
I could not watch extensive coverage of the 9/11 anniversary. I felt myself dying inside, just like I did that day, and I don't want to drive myself into depression (which is exactly what happened after 9/11).

Back