5 years since 9/11.. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Lizzy_004, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I am truly sorry for the loss of your aunt tuesday.

I remember the day very clearly which is odd because I was eleven at the time and didn't pay much attention to the news. When it happened I was in a God awful school and they told us about it very poorly. All our teachers told us was that a plane hit a building in NY. After school I remember being at a store with my mom and sister and seeing the images on the news then.

2. KimAZ

KimAZ Prime Suspect

I have always heard from lots of older people and they could always say that they remembered exactly where they were when Pearl Harbor was attacked or when Kennedy was shot. I was always amazed at their memory. I never in a million years imagined that somthing like that would ever happen in my lifetime. But yet five years later I can remember exactly where I was, and exactly where I was the day before.

On Sept. 10, 2001 I went to Disneyland, it was with a friend for his birthday. I was 13. That night we stayed in a hotel and the next morning we woke up, turned on the T.V. and saw the first tower burning. We didn't really know what was going on than a few minutes later the second plane hit, than the Pentagon, then United 93. It was then that we knew exactly what it was. I know because for whatever reason I remembered the Pearl Harbor attack. (maybe it was because the movie had come out that year and I just remembered it from that. I really don't know why.) I know we just sat there watching, not really knowing what to do, we were scared at the time because we were in L.A. and not really sure if something would happen there as well.

Everybody should remember that day. It needs to remembered. We have to know what we are fighting for. that is why we take the fight to the terrorists. Because if we didn't fight in Afghanistan and Iraq, we would be fighting in New York, L.A. and Chicago. I know that some people don't think that it is worth fighting for. But all they have to do is open thir eyes to the threat and realize that there are people who want all of us dead or subject to their oppression. And I know that some people want to forget that day as much as possible. To not have it brought up, to not think about. But I want to. I want to remember why we are in this war. I want to remember that there are people in this world that will go to any means to kill innocent people because they are free Americans.

I don't exactly call myself a hardline Republican. But I know that this war is necessary, that we have to defeat this enemy. They are evil incarnate. And when good people stand by and do nothing, they are no better. I never, ever forget that day, even though I have very little connection to it (I have a cousin and a few friends in the military) I have seen what has happened to our not so distant past of the 20th century. I don't want that to happen now. Its to dangerous.

God Bless America
    God Bless our troops
    God Bless President Bush and our leaders
    And may God be with the families of those who lost a loved one that day.

3. drkate

drkate Corpse

i remember my mum woke me up at 6 in the morning (australian time) and told me that there had been this horrible terrorist attack or something like that... i was only in grade 7 at the time so i didnt really understand the enormity of the attack and it took a while to sink in. before then, i dont think i had ever even heard of the world trade center... but it eventually sank in... i thought there was gonna be a third world war so i got a little freaked out. but now it has sunk in and its just so scary to think that something that you think is worlds away is actually affecting the world that you live in...

4. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

I'm going to second that, KimAZ.

5. Tequesta

Tequesta Rookie

I was 11 years old when it happened. I don't live in America, but I am a quarter American. When I came home from school, my mum was sitting in front of the TV, crying. I aske her why she was crying, and she said something about palnes crashing into towers in New York. I was too young to understand what was going on. A year went by, and I found an old newspaper, from the day after, and it showed pictures of people jumping from the building. I sat down and cried. Last Thursday, I watched a program abot the widows of 9/11. And for the first time, I saw the plane crash into the first building. My mum had never let me see the footage of that before, and I couldn't stop crying.

I'm sory if anything I've said offends anybody.

6. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

I remember... some days after 9/11 I went shopping, and I couldn´t get this question outta my head.

What the hell will parents tell their children? I...
    I still wonder...

7. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

Yes, good question.
    Alot of parents are thinking the same thing in Lebanon right now. :)

8. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I was in college my second year, found out when I went to the dining hall and the clerk talked about it. I didn't find out the whole story until I finished breakfast (I didn't usually put the TV on that early except the weather channel) and went back to my room, after the first tower fell but before the second.

9. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

I bet. :( Maybe also in London or Madrid.
    War or terrorism. Doesn´t matter for such a question.

What do you say to a kid, while people kill each other?

10. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

Thing is, I think kids are beginning to understand things on their own, that there are "bad guys" and "good guys", even if they fail to understand which one is which. If you have kids these days it wouldn't be as hard telling them the truth as it would have been loooong ago.

11. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

But they won´t decide between good and bad on their own. Thus if parents are wrong
    -> kids grow up wrong. :eek:

12. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

I think the source of pain comes from watching the scenes, like those of people jumping out the towers on 9/11, its scenes liek that that would damage the children to a certain extent. I mean, even adults have been effected by that. If you limit it to stories, maybe its alot simpler to explain it to your child.

13. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

Stories and reality. For children this is the same. :(

14. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

I meant telling them what happened as a story (not twisting the truth, just not being brutal enough to show them pictures.)

15. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

OK. You mean hiding the brutal pictures? Why - show them the world they will grow up in? Can´t this work as a warning?