5 years since 9/11.. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Lizzy_004, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Lizzy_004

Lizzy_004 Pathologist

I'm not sure whether this is appropriate, but since it's 9/11 tomorrow, I thought maybe it's interesting how other people feel about this..

Do you recall where you were 5 years ago?
    And for Americans: How has it affect your life?
    Maybe you don't even care at all?

Post and let's see what other people think..

If this isn't ok, please close :)

2. heartagram69

heartagram69 Head of the Swing Shift

i still remember sitting up infront of the tv all night in utter disbelief. i was 12 at the time.

the footage still seems surreal, i mean the planes going into the buildings and then them collapsing, its just totally unbelievable. i know its real, but it seems so surreal.

3. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

It was a pretty sunny day. I was strolling around downtown. Then I saw crowds of people at this store-window. They were watching the news.

Dunno if this thread should also be about progress. But, if you ask me collecting terrorists in guantanamo isn´t enough. We need to open up so much further. My hope is people insisting on cultural communication to be intensifyed.

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I was having a nap after school.

Having Guantanamo and another prisons are piece of crap and huge violation of human rights.

WHat comes to 9/11... doesn't really bring anything to me. Except that it was a day when americans found out such a thing called "terrorism" even it had existed for years.

Tho it brings my mind to Iraq war, where they went with a lie and all the stuff they've stepped in in MIddle East even they should stay out.

5. CSIsMANIAC

CSIsMANIAC Captain

Uhmm...I was at home. Certainly. It was during the holidays and there was this major news that seem to flood in from everywhere. It made headlines here at our local news and the footage was played from CNN. I was shocked and confused.

I'm not an American and never been to New York. I can say that the event was a catastrophe and it's sad that such things happen to innocent people. Gives me the chills sometimes to see the buildings fall down like that. I guess I'm mostly sad because this great calamity have caused this tension between religions and terrorism suddenly becoming a major problem. :(

6. YouandMe1105

YouandMe1105 Lab Technician

:( I know exactly where I was when it happened. I had just walked into my second class of the day, Communications, and the teacher had the TV on. The second tower hadn't fell yet and I remember vividly when it did. It didn't really sink in that all those people died until I got home.

I think as an American that it changed me yes. I started to pay attention to what goes on outside of the States more, thinking maybe it would help me understand why this tragedy happened.

My thought and prayers will be with the families of the victims tomorrow and always.

7. Roosey

Roosey Captain

I was in the car, my dad just picked me up from school. I was ten, I believe. There has been a terrorristic attack on the World Trade Center, I heard, on the radio. My world was really small back then, so I didn't know what was going on and I asked my dad if they meant the WTC on Schiphol Airport. (here in Holland). I saw what had happened that night and I suddenly realized it meant war.

I'm not an American, but it has changed me. I flew from Amsterdam to Toulouse earlier this year, without parents and I wasn't really afraid, but I paid attention. A year after 9/11, I flew from Amsterdam to Bodrum (turkey) and I had to puke during the whole trip. I was afraid, I think. I was eleven.

I watched a documentary about 9/11 a few weeks ago, the one made by the two French brothers, don't know their names. But I mean, you saw the plane crashing into the first tower and my jaw was nearly on the ground. The reactions of the people were really sad to see. I really don't get why you would kill thousands of people.

8. meshellb2001

meshellb2001 Lab Technician

I was just walking into work when my supervisor was saying the first tower had been hit, I was ok, WTF ever, then the second on got hit, then we heard about the Pentagon and then another plane in Pennsylvania, We were all just like what the hells going on????? I do feel for the families who lost loved ones that day, but it didn't really effect me any. I do have a few choice words about Bush, but I will keep my comments to myself.... :lol:

9. SaraSidleStokes

SaraSidleStokes Captain

I wont get into the politics because unlike alot of you I like Bush and am a republican and our opinions differ
    so I'll just go into where I was and How I felt
    I was at home getting ready for work I was about to leave when I saw the second plane hit the second tower I was such in a state of shock I couldnt move and all day long at work I was staring out the window in fear that a Plane might hit us (I work in a church surrounded by windows and though I doubt they would hit a preschool center based in a church *shrugs* thats how I had felt crazy I know)

10. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

Teaching English to third graders tomorrow, tough class, hard kids, so hard teaching. I think I will focus on 9/11 tomorrow, see what they still remember etc, there's about 80% of the pupils that have a Muslim background, so I hope I can get a discussion going on.

11. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

Good comment. However, I´m afraid that´s not everything. I think America underestimated terrorism. Bush believed no terrorist would dare attacking the U.S. . And innocent people paid for this mistake. :eek:

I´m not American, but I´ll never forget this day. What shocked me most is this attacks killed those innocents.

However now I see death of innocents is just what terrorists intend. This makes incidents more shocking.

Maybe Guantanamo is against human rights. Yet I´m not against it totally. I´m pro fair jurisdiction - even for terrorists.

Tortureing terrorists is illegal and must be punished. No doubt. This is why I would accuse terrorists and send them to Guantanamo after trial. Catch them with only bread and water.

12. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

Mods: Please let me know if you think this is too inflammatory.

I live in southern California, so it was early morning here when the attacks occurred. My mom came running into my room and told me to get up. I thought this was odd, because I was going to be getting up in 10 minutes for work anyway.

When I saw the second attack unfold, I felt completely numb. However, seeing the people jumping out of the towers just completely devastated me, I think more than the towers collapsing. I was beyond feeling at that point, if you can understand what I mean.

I told my Mom that they were going to hit Los Angeles next. We were freaked out all day. I went to work, and we were all walking around like zombies. We knew we were living through something that would change our lives forever.

Don't worry...you're not alone.

I realize I'm in the minority when I say this, so please don't yell at me. I'm one of the few people who agree with President Bush and Homeland Security. If they want to listen in on my phonecalls, so be it. If they want to read what I type online, so be it. If they want to see where my money goes, so be it. I will gladly give up some of my personal freedoms if it means that a terrorist attack will be prevented. I'm 100% pro-military, and I'm glad we're taking the fight to them. I don't want them bringing the fight over here.

As for the people who have attacked us, as far as I'm concerned, they lost their rights when they killed 3,000 humans on 9/11...there weren't just Americans in those towers...there were humans of every nationality, religion, etc. What happened to their rights?

Sorry to be critical, I'm just really affected by this. I feel like the world has forgotten what it felt like to be attacked that morning, and on subsequent mornings in other countries, and are becoming wrapped up in political spin. I just want our world to be safe. It's nothing personal against any of you.

13. grssom89

grssom89 Pathologist

i was sitting in my history class as i was about 12 at the time i was'nt really paying attention but all of a sudden a teacher froma nother department came running in and told my teacher to put on the tv.
    he did.
    what i saw after that will never leave my mind. those images of the innocent people will forever be with me. i am not an american but my mum had a friend who worked in the north tower so its just as hard for us over here in england (im irish btw) i definatly feel i have changed as a person and tomorrow my thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this awful tragedy and their families

14. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Every human has rights, they shouldn't get tortured etc. and their religions should be respected. After all, Christianity is more aggressive and has caused much more pain/destruction in the world than islam.
    no matter what they've done, they still have their basic rights (I don't mean they should be treated as kings and queens. But you get my point). As I've said, everything goes wrong when a man starts to play god.

But so is US army killing (along with terrorists/rebels/other nations soldiers) innocent civilians, children and old people.

The attitude "we can kill anyone who gets in our way" is wrong. But US has it.

Was 9/11 horrible? Yes it was. US thought that it's safe because it's on other continent, far from Europe and middle east. But the actions that US has made when they've considered themselves as "world police" - I don't wonder that they got attacked.

I am sad that it had to be that kind of way.

If the wars would be on your own soil, you'd think differently. But no, you have not seen the civilian victims, neither have your parents or grandparents.

I've always wondered... US thinks they are so much better than everyone else..intelligence... all oh-so-great. So how did Bush miss? I swear with that money that he puts in military stuff and so on, they had to have some kind of note that there's some plans to do some kind of attacks. But oh, now who would want to attack Amerika?

Oh yes, the one thing that I care about, what has changed since... I will never travel to US again. No way in hell they get my fingerprints. It is wrong to take those.

15. Depth-Of-Love

Depth-Of-Love Lab Technician

i remember getting up in the morning to go watch tv with my mom. we sat there and watched the horible footage for what seemed like forever. my younger sister was a fraid to go to school...everyone was just really scared. i myself was terrifyed because i have relatives in the states and i was afraid they may be dead(thank the lord they werent). it was just a horrible horrible ordeal. i think that every ones veiws of safety were changed that day. and still now i never really feel 100 percent safe when i get onto an airplane.