5 years since 9/11.. What do you think?

It's strange how i find it difficult to remember most things that happen 5 years ago, but i remember when i first found out about this perfectly. I walked to my mum's work after school and she had the radio on and was listening to the news. As me and my sister walked through the door she looked up at us and said that someone had flown a plane into the twin towers. My first thought was how can someone fly into a building, because i assumed that it was an accident. She had to explain that it was done on purpose. I was about 12 at the time. When we got home and turned on the TV all the channel were full of the pictures from the world trade center, and i remember feeling completely shocked.

Now i'm all for freedom of speech and religion, but i feel sick that some people will use their religion as an excuse for mass murder. Killing hundreds of innocent people in order to make a point is horrific.

I was in class actually and I remember getting on the subway after it ended when I noticed a lot of people calling each other, I called home and my mom told me what happenend. I rushed home and walked in when the second tower fell, I remember being in shock over it. I just watched tv all day, trying to make sense of it all.
That being said, I hate how the US responded. Yes, killing those people was terrible but so is starting a war that is not neccesary. Going to Afghanistan was pointless, they didn't catch Bin Laden and five years after 9/11 it doesn't look like they'll ever will or stop the Taliban. The only people suffering from that war are the soldiers and the innocents living in a country with enough problems already.
They US has revenged the attack on the Twin Towers by killing other innocent people in return and the world watches and nods his approval. That will never feel right to me.

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was visiting a friend and she woke me up to make me watch what was happening. I must have just sat there in stunned silence with tears streaming down my face for hours.

It's funny, a guy I work with and I were just chatting about this a while ago, and when I said I can't believe it's only been 5 years- it seems much more recent- he said, "It seems like it happened a really long time ago." His reasoning? He travels a lot and he said it seems like he's been dealing with tightened security forever, since he's been travelling so much and seeing it first hand. He wasn't complaining- he obviously feels security is the most important thing. I guess I'd never thought of it that way.

To delve into the taboo side... I think the acts were horrendous and horrifying and I absolutely hate the people who did this. Terrorism anywhere is an affront to humanity. The thing is, the American government has opened itself up to being a target for decades. With their foreign policies, I'm actually a bit surprised it hadn't happened before. Do I condone such acts? Of course not. Am I surprised it happened? Sadly, not really.

Of course it's appropriate- it happened- I was hoping someone would mention it- the worst day in history for our country- I was getting ready for work- had on CNN and saw the first plane hit--- I thought it was an unfortunate accident- left- got to work and my boss said" do you know what happend"? I go "what"? and he told me we were attacked- and he sent us all home-on the drive home, I was in complete shock and the roads were eerily empty- creepy- and then for days on end that's all I did was watch and cry and sob and freak out- like eveyone one else did- in constant contact with family and friends- sharing our thoughts-there's many memorial services tomorrow, and I'm not going to work- can't!!!!! too sad- to concentrate- :(

How it changed my life- can't ever trust again- the terrorists are always planning to get us- the airplane situation is horrific- and we'll always live in fear-and be afraid of what's up next!!!! from that day till now-- :(

We were living in Sacramento. My husband was at work, my son at home asleep. I woke up and got online, and checked the Foo Fighters postboard first. In the general section I saw a thread called "A plane just hit the World Trade Center!" I started reading it, thinking it was a horrible accident, but then I read about the second tower being hit, and went out to the living room to turn on CNN. My husband got home about five minutes later - basically the whole city had shut down for the day. Additional buses and light rail trains had been put on the routes to deal with the sudden mass "rush hour". Also, as our apartment complex was next door to a federal building, there were National Guardsmen (armed) stationed outside the entrances to our building and parking lot.

How has it affected us? Well, leaving the politics aside (my husband is better than I am at speaking out politically), the company he was working for took a hit, as their two largest accounts were in or doing business with the World Trade Center. With the loss of income, it meant immediate layoffs - including my husband. (They laid off close to half their work force and went under not much longer.) The IT job market being what it was at the time, our finances suffered. I fell and broke my back a month after 9/11 and was unable to work, and the state didn't approve my disability claim, strangely of the opinion that with a significantly compressed T-11, I should be able to continue carrying 50-lb file boxes. (I can barely lift my cat!) Long story short, we went from a normal life to public assistance to homelessness. Been living here in L.A. with my husband's mother for three years.

But I'm not going through life scared. Exercising due and intelligent caution, of course. I always have. But fear? I refuse to live that way.

I almost got detention on that day...

We had already heard about the attacks, and we were watching the television in Science class. The newcast switched to people jumping out of the towers from 90 stories up to avoid the flames... and the boy sitting next to me started to laugh and make fun of those poor people...

I punched him, right in the face as hard as I could, I'd never been so angry in all my life...

I would probably have been even more angry if I had know at that time one of my friends was in New York, and in one of the towers at the time...

I would probably have been even more angry if I had know at that time one of my friends was in New York, and in one of the towers at the time...

I knew two. One was strictly an on-line/postboard friend. She worked on the 59th floor of the second tower to be hit. Thankfully, she and a friend of hers disregarded the instructions they'd been given to return to their offices, and they decided to evacuate. My friend was in the lobby when the plane hit that building. She described the sensation in part as of all the air being sucked completely out of the building. In fact she wrote quite a graphic and harrowing description of the entire event from her own all-too-close perspective.

Another friend, close friend in real life, was in New York studying to be a nurse. He'd invited me to come back there, in fact, to celebrate his birthday, but I couldn't afford the plane fare. He was still there on 9/11. He doesn't talk about it much. And, a London native, he was back home on 7/7 last year. Not at work that day, but as far as I was concerned, too close for comfort yet again.

Attacking and killing innocent people is evil, I don't care what the perpetrator's excuse, uniform or religion.

Do you recall where you were 5 years ago?
I fell asleep with my radio on the night before, so I was woken up by the guy on the radio saying that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Centre. My mom works in the local World Trade Centre building where we live, so that's where my mind first went, knowing she was already on her way to/at work, before they said it was in New York City.

My thoughts and prayers are with all the family and friends of the victims.

There is a tribute version of The Fray's song 'How To Save A Life' on their Myspace if anyone is interested- The Fray

I punched him, right in the face as hard as I could, I'd never been so angry in all my life...
I've never punched anyone in my life, but safe to say I probably would have decked that creep too!

PrettyEyes said: (...) If they want to listen in on my phonecalls, so be it. If they want to read what I type online, so be it. If they want to see where my money goes, so be it. I will gladly give up some of my personal freedoms if it means that a terrorist attack will be prevented.
Bang! May I second that?

PrettyEyes said: I'm 100% pro-military, and I'm glad we're taking the fight to them. I don't want them bringing the fight over here.
Please remember fighting terror is really difficult. I mean, look at the Iraque. America kills two terrorists and twenty replace them. Therefore noone here should say war can impress terrorists.
On the other hand we must arrest them. We must show terrorists we´ll never fear them.
This is the difficulty we have to overcome.

PrettyEyes said: As for the people who have attacked us, as far as I'm concerned, they lost their rights when they killed 3,000 humans
So you may kill a killer? For me this is no question. My point of view is this "yes" makes you a killer, too.

PrettyEyes said:on 9/11...there weren't just Americans in those towers...there were humans of every nationality, religion, etc. What happened to their rights?
You wanna say not killing terrorists is an insult for the honor and dignity of innocent victims?

PrettyEyes said: Sorry to be critical, I'm just really affected by this. (...) and on subsequent mornings in other countries, and are becoming wrapped up in political spin. I just want our world to be safe.
We all long for safety. Yet refering to politics 9/11 only showed what still nobody wants to believe: War against war doesn´t work.
As long as we don´t recognize this, I refuse calling 9/11 "a change".

Uhm - needed to remark this. However this is a memory thread. So I´m afraid deeper details are off-topic here.

I was watching Regis and Kelly on our local CBS affiliate when the newscasters cut in with a live report about the first plane hitting one of the Twin Towers. In just a few minutes time I saw the second plane hit. I was in shock to say the least.

I remember going and waking my husband up who was off work that day and telling him what happened.

Since that day I don't really feel that our country is as safe as it should be from further attacks.

Wow. Here we go.

I was in New York. Queens, to be exact. I went to a Muslim private school, and I had Art when the towers were hit. friend's mom came into the class and told her to hurry and get ready cause she was going home early. Then the Principal came into the room and told us all to move away from the windows. He said to close them and move away. I remember making a joke about a robber/rapist/murderer climbing the cable and attacking us with beans or something. We laughed it off, till we realized that the whole school was in the hall way. I don't remember who it was that made the announcement but someone told us (the entire school) that the office had received a phone call, a threat, where the speaker claimed he would "kill all your children and wipe New York's walls with Muslim blood.". A few minutes later, we get another threat saying someone left a bomb in the mailbox in front of our school. We had no clue why this was happening, till we got downstairs and I heard that the Towers had been hit and that the news was saying it might be Palestine because they had played a video of Palestinian children celebrating the attacks.
They started to fill up the buses to drop all the kids off to their houses. My mom was in Brooklyn, my aunt was in Queens, she came by to our school and we left with one of the teachers. Because she wears a hijab(the head cover), we knew that being in the car with her was giong to be a risk, since everyone was turning their anger to the Muslims. We left the school at around 1 or 2 pm, and didn't get home till 10 pm that night. On the road, we got lost and asked someone for directions, he looked at the lady driving us and told us to turn the car around and go back that way. Turns out he had said that to get us even more lost, because the direction he pointed us to takes you back into Queens and not to Brooklyn. (there was an obvious reason he did that, but i wont mention it so as not to hurt any feelings or give people the wrong idea).
We had to stay home for a week and a half. Becuase our school had gotten so many threats that the cops were watching it 24/7. But thats a whole other story.

To those of you that have commented on how the "war on terror" is a good idea, just think with me for a second. Did Bush know that the attacks were going to happen or not? Did he not read the Presidential Daily Briefing on August 6, 2001 that claimed that there was goin to be a massive attack on America? ANd if he did, didn't he approve of it or brush it off, thus allowing it to happen and kill as many innocent people as it did?
It sickens me that any of you would think what happens at Guantanamo is any good for your nation or for the safety of the world. When you have army members raping prisoners, you have alot more mentally ill patients to deal with than mass murderers. And Iraq was never a threat to America. Bush's claims that they owned "weapons of mass destruction" was false because since 1994 the UN has ruled out that there is no potential threat from Saddam or Iraq at all. They attacked Iraq for obvious reasons. Money. (will be opening a New World Order page soon, you can read more about that there.)

Oh and those of you supporting bush's idea to listen to your phone calls and go through your mail, and allow you to spy on your neighbors, you got another thing coming. The government plays you all with fear. They know that as long as you have a fear of more attacks, you will be willing to work with the government. Don't just take my word for it, I'll supply you with links to radio chats you can listen to, or visit Alex Jones' website for more information. You'd be amazed at how much the US government makes asses out of its people EVERY.DAMN.DAY.

Peace out.

Hm, on with it.

So let US government have known. In this case war in Afghanistan reveals as one big fake. Because this means Bush started Afghanistan war only to save his reputation.

Coming to public safety. I wouldn´t say politicans trick us at this topic. They benefit from our fears. Don´t blame politicans for us believing almost everything from them.

Of course public surveilance makes privacy insignificant. But this is a hole we bulit with our own hands. You have alternatives? Speak them freely!

= war-makers are too weak for peace =

I would blame the media as much as anyone for cultivating fear in the American public, and I didn't need "Bowling For Columbine" to make that conclusion. Fear sells. Sad but true. I think the government just reaps the benefits.

Alrighty.. I know I was one of the first ones to start comments but what if ...we wait Roka starting with NWO thread and we... continue with the original questions :)

Back