08 Presidential Elections

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Calihan, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

*I was wrong to get involved in a political discussion. I have to remember two things to never argue about with friends: religion and politics.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Actually it is clinched according to CNN, he's got the delegates to win the nomination, and to each his own, but on McCain, he's waay to old, talk's like he's got a mouth full of mush, and has the Bush politics, ARRGGG,:klingon: haven't we had enough of him? for me, one is either a Democratic, or a Republican:confused:

3. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

First off, it is clinched. Second? That may be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Clinton and Obama have essentially the same policies. Voting McCain simply because you don't like the Democratic leader completely defeats the purpose of having a vote. Go for a third-party who holds the same values, as I can hardly imagine that as a Clinton supporter you have much in common with McCain's policies.

An Obama-Clinton bill would be amazing.

Congrats to Obama. He'll do an amazing job as president for America's reputation, and he seems to have the balls to do the right thing. Here's to hoping the American's bring him in.

If only we could get Dion up on Parliament hill soon ...

4. CSIvela

CSIvela Hit and Run

Showtime, you are correct! I hate it when people say they vote for the opposite side of the coin just because "its to stop the other side of the coin from winning." Even if said person is so dead against the voter's values.

As for me, I'm going Bob Barr...the libertarian!

5. Desertwind

Once again a big [​IMG] and your speech was riveting, brilliant, YES WE CAN good job and good campaign, a cool calm collected man even when he had so many nasty barbs thrown at him he remained strong and focused, the sign of a great leader:thumbsup: he'll be great:bolian: young, enthusiastic, charming and electrifying[​IMG] and Michelle is a class act as well!

6. AppleJack

AppleJack Police Officer

I had to comment on this. This is a forum, people discuss topics here. It doesn't matter if we agree with each other, that is the excitement of discussion. Try to make other people understand what you believe in even though they don't see it the same way as you do is a challenge, it can be fun. There is no absolute right or wrong when sharing political insights. But if you don't want to discuss or elaborate on your point of view then why bother to even post it here? On the other hand, I can understand that you didn't expect to get a harsh reaction like Showtime's and you do not want to be the center of the sh*tstorm this discussion could become.

Please believe me, it's not my intention to bash you. I'm genuinely curious what your reasons are to vote for McCain instead of Obama just because Clinton is probably out of the race. Although I may not agree with you I would like some insight in your opinion. :)

I'd like to point out that I'm not an American citizen. American politics are different from dutch politics. We do not have the position of an elected President and instead cast our vote on political parties based on their manifesto's.The feeling I get is that in America you don't just choose democratic or republican but you mostly choose a person that you believe is capable of the presidency and thus capable to be your country's Commander in Chief. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

7. Desertwind

So now that Obama is the presidential candidate nominee, who do you all think would be a good running mate for him? Bill Richardson would be a good choice, and he's got loads of foreign expierence! I'm almost positive he won't choose Hillary, to much baggage, he picks her, he's got Bill to deal with:(

8. rissarose

rissarose Rookie

I would love it if he picked Hillary. That would be one awesome ticket. :)

9. CSIvela

CSIvela Hit and Run

If the Democrats want to woo the Latinos, he'd better pick Richardson, IMO.

10. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

Obama won't picked Hilary. If he does, she will bring complication to the White House like Bill Clinton did when he cheat on his wife and they don't want to go through that again. Obama already pick his Vice President and I don't know who.

11. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

What? I'm sorry, nickngris, but that's ridiculous. Bill cheated on Hillary, true. But how does that mean that Hillary will bring trouble to the White House? Bill won't be the president or the vice. And the reason he was almost impeached isn't because he cheated on his wife, it's because he lied about cheating on his wife. The key pronoun there is 'he'. Not 'her'. Just because her husband cheated on her, that doesn't mean Hillary can't do her job.

Anyhoo, in regards to a VP for Obama, he doesn't really have a choice; he has to pick Hillary. Whether you think it's practical or not, the fact remains that many Clinton supporters have either been switching their party affiliation to Republican or deciding that they won't vote at all in November because Obama is the nominee. Considering how close all the primary votes were, Obama needs the Clinton supporters or he won't win the election. That's just simple math. McCain has already been going after the Clinton supporters to get them on his side and so far, it's working. I understand that Obama and his ego need to give off the impression that his VP spot is his choice, but really, he knows it's not. He's just waiting an appropriate amount of time before he offers it to Hillary.

Personally I'd like to see an Obama-Clinton ticket because 1. It guarantees the US won't have another Bush and 2. Hillary will at least be in the White House in some respect, where she belongs. One of the big issues anti-Obama people were having with him is he lacks experience. Well, with Hillary at least on the ticket with him, that experience will be there, in her. There's no need to worry about bad decisions from inexperience.

I'm done now.

12. Desertwind

With all due respect, Obama won't pick Hillary in million years, from what I and others observed, she and he can't stand each other, and she'd try and take over, and tell him what to do, and then there's the Bill issue, poking his nose in whenever he felt like it, it would be a diaster, no way.. I was just at a Obama rally, with at least 50 Democrats, and not one wants her on the ticket with him!!! and Barack is doing nicely without her on his ticket, he'll pick someone that's more suited to be his VP, and listen to him not tell him what do do at every turn! and big news, yesterday Al Gore endorsed Obama, his speech was riveting, what a poweful orator:bolian:my opinion;)

13. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

I'm thoroughly confused. What is it about Hillary that tells you that she would try and take over and tell him what to do? She would be the vice president: not a position with a lot of power at all.

I also completely disagree with what a lot of people are saying regarding Bill Clinton. Despite his behavior which may have been one of the many factors that doomed this campaign, he is still an extremely popular individual and would be a tremendous asset as a campaigner provided he stick to the talking points. Not using Clinton's popularity was one of Al Gore's biggest mistakes back in 2000, but not to rehash that old mess...

Personally, I believe that Hillary should stay in the Senate. At the moment, there is a Democratic majority there of one and that means that a lot of compromising has to be done. Whatever you may think of Hillary, as left-leaning as she is, she understands getting things done through compromising with the other side and would be a greater asset to the Democratic party on this front than as Vice President. She's definitely cut some kind of deal with him, likely to campaign in return for him asking his donors to make contributions to her so she can retire her campaign debt.

I'm not sure who Obama should choose as his running mate, but it will have to be someone with very broad appeal who can bring in to the fold those silly people who want to vote for McCain because their candidate didn't win. I am *never* going to do that: continuation of the war in Iraq, minimal changes on health care, economic policy that rests on tax breaks for corporations and the wealthy, and a steadfast determination to overturn Roe vs. Wade. Simply a continuation of the disastrous Bush administration policies if you ask me.

14. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

I actually thought the unity speech was very telling. Clinton had to go on and on and on trying to convince her supporters to back Obama. If she manages to do it it will be an amazing feat, considering how deadset in their ways those supporters are. And yes, they're not exactly the best of friends, and it was definitely an act at that speech, but let's be real here. A lesson we learn early on in life is sometimes you have to work with people you don't necessarily like. If Obama has a chance in Hell of winning the election, he needs to unify the party, and the only way to do that is to bring Hillary on. And considering all Hillary's experience in government, that wouldn't really be a bad thing. Like all politicians, Obama says he wants what's best for the country. Well, maybe what's best is putting both his and Hillary's assets together, on one ticket.

15. Desertwind

The latest new today on his VP running mate is that John Edwards is re-considering that position if asked! super:bolian: and on the HISPANIC/LATINO issue the latest on that is~

Obama was blunt about their importance "This election could well be decided by Latino voters" A recent AP-Yahoo News poll showed that Obama leads McCain among Hispanics, 47% to 22 % with 26% undecided. Pres. Bush captured about 40% of the Hispanic vote in 2004, to Democratic rival John Kerry's 58%!

The Associated Press via Press Enterprise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.