08 Presidential Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I live in the Netherlands, my English teacher try to involve us with the Presidential Elections in the US
And I have to confess that Obama has something...
what exactly, I don't know, but if my English teacher would live in the US, than he'll vote for Obama, just like me (if I had the right age!)

I say: Give him a chance. It couldn't be worse than Bush, could it? Bush a lot of worse things, Obama could give the country hope

Hear, hear. I admire the hell out of her. The "Bill years" were only one "small" part of her "political life and contributions". She's got that steely determination coupled with the wealth of experience to do what it takes not just within the borders but without as well which on another level is of significant concern. It's not only about "us" anymore as we are so heavily invested on multiple levels within the global socioeconomic and political stages. In this arena I have more confidence in her capabilities to handle the job. Like it or not, our domestic policies will be even more shaped by international affairs and the increasing rippling effects from China and Asia even more so then from Europe.

With this said, it's still going to be a fantastic run to the finish line.

And if my boss thinks that I'm staying away from the Convention this year just because I have a young baby at home, she's got another think coming! I wouldn't miss this convention for the world. I went to the last one and, aside from the nights when Obama and fmr. Pres. Clinton spoke, it felt like one long stretch of partying since the nominee was already decided.

Springmoon, if you don't me asking what job do you have that has allowed you to go to the conventions in 2004 and this year?

I watched a debate when John Edwards was still in the race. Clinton said that for over 100 times Senator Obama voted 'present'. Can you explain to me what 'to vote present' means in this case?

I'm quoting here:

"In the Illinois state senate, lawmakers sometimes vote "present" instead of "no" to block bills without officially opposing them and Barack Obama was no stranger to the practice. He calls it party tactics, his opponent calls it ducking tough issues.

The ritual has the practical effect of sometimes stopping legislation while preventing critics from using recorded votes to typecast legislators as consistently voting the same way on abortion, gun control or any number of other contentious social issues. That can be particularly handy for lawmakers representing swing districts.

But the practice has gained national attention after Sen. Hillary Clinton questioned whether Sen. Barack Obama used present votes 129 times over eight years as an Illinois state senator to duck tough votes."

====

excerpts taken from:

Article

How is he supposed to become experienced if nobody wants to give him a chance?! There are enough examples that even people who seemed to be unexperienced did a darn good job!

Here's my thing with that, though. It's the same old story, not giving someone a chance to get experience just because they don't have experience; I have to deal with it all the time when I look for work because I'm so young, so I get it. But this is different. With something as big as running a country you really want someone you KNOW can do the job. Obama's been a senator just like Hillary, so he's had time to do stuff, just like she has. And yet, all we hear from him is "Change! Change! Change!" while Hillary actually makes it happen. That's why I would support her if I was American.

Some tid-bits about last nights primary!

Obama had a total of 1,477 delegates, including separately 'chosen party and elected officials known as superdelegates" according to The Associated Press count. He picked up 3 superdelegate endorsements Tuesday. Clinton had 1,391 delegates. It takes 2,025 to win the nomination. Obama had campaigned hoping to land a knockout blow. As of March 1, his campaign had spent about $9 million on TV advertising in Texas and about $4.5 million in Ohio. Clinton had spent about $5 million in Texas, and about $2.3 million in Ohio. They call Ohio a bellwether state, the battleground state. It's a state that knows how to pick a president, and no candidate in recent history, Democrat or Republican has won the White House without winning in the Ohio primary.

Did you all listen to Obama's pastor's speech:klingon:pretty ugly and offensive, and yet Obama repsonded with an absolutely eloquent follow up speech, and said he didn't agree with his nasty remarks, but he still will go to his church, amost other outstanding comments boy he is a great speaker:bolian: he's really candid and truthful;)

Last edited:
I have trouble trusting any of them and not for reasons of gender, race, etc. But rather because of all the promises of "when I become President", when I hear all that to me I hear dead or hot air, apparently they are assuming that the senate and congress will just go right on along with them to make the promises come true. Hmm didn't other presidents past do the samething, and if they were lucky got a little of what they promised done. So they say "I will make sure it gets done", yeah well I will make sure I vaccume today don't mean it will actually happen.

All the pretty promises wrapped with a bow, problem is again IMO you don't hear the how they plan to get them, what would be involved, who is going to PAY for it. Were already in debt, where the heck are they going to get the money for all these promises, by cutting this, adding that, all of which would take time and then it goes back to saying "I will get it done within my first year in office." Well then okey dokey then what do I know I am just a common american who has to sit through it and then deal with the fall out if it doesn't happen, or if it doesn't happen the way they "promised".

I still go back to how stupid they must think we are, honestly I don't care if they could promise the sun was going to shine tomorrow, there are no guarentees in life or in politics and I don't care how smart, good looking, they are, how experienced they might or might not be, what their gender, race, or record is, it all comes down to the fact that if they think that people cannot see between the lines then IMO they are not all that bright to begin with.

As to Obama's spiritual advisor, the guy has a right to his opinion, I personally don't care for it and am personally sick of the replay of the samething over and over again via the news, the guy came out and said his peace on the matter, yay okay done, but no now they get to repay the ministers words, and then Obama speech and tear it all apart and pick through it and twist it all around (pretty, not pretty, he said, he said, yadda yadda yadda), and when its all said and done, its just a minister giving his opinion that alot of people don't agree with, and Obama giving a speech on it and his beliefs about it. So a week or two on the first, then the second, then both and it ends up being about three weeks of my life I will never get back. Remedy for that, Turn the channel unless I am really bored and can't find anything else on tv to watch or to do without tv.

I know, I know I am just a bundle of happiness lol, but hey they all have good points and they have bad points and they as I said can make promises and make them sound pretty and make you want to believe that no matter what we will be all the better for them being elected. Maybe we will, maybe we won't, time will tell, the upside if they suck in four years they can be voted out, the down side in four years we get to go through this again no matter how they do.

DISCLAIMER: this is just my long opinion and should be taken as that, and for what its worth. :)

How cynical Destiny:( I do understand however where you're coming from, the thing is anybody is better than the idiot, imbecile, illiterate we've got in there now:klingon:, I like the freshness of Obama, and he has got charisma, and he showed his true character, he's very wise. And, he doesn't represent anybody but himself, what ever others say, it isn't him saying those words! Now in saying that, I also and others want to know where the money will come from, amonst other issues, but I guess we have to keep the FAITH, and hope for the best:thumbsup:and this always gets to me "older white women all vote for Hillary" I'm an older white woman , and that's not true, I'm a delegate here in Nevada, and have been invited to attend the convention here, so that will be an exciting event;)

Last edited:
I was kinda leaning towards Obama until this came up. You cannot tell me that you can honestly sit and support a church where stuff like that is being said and run for President. I am not talking about religion here, the statements against races should not be tolerated by someone who will be looking after the welfare of the people of the US as the other countries of which we are currently "helping".

I may be in the minority here but I to some extent agree with what his pastor has said. I agree with the pastor with his saying that we did a lot of what would be considered terrorism throughout the world and only complain when it happens to us. Look at all the dictators we've instilled and supported throughout our history. I disagree saying we deserved it, with Barack's most recent speech he didn't make his pastor the fall guy and disavow him which happens too much and it's given me much more respect for the Senator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back