08 Presidential Elections

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Calihan, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calihan

Calihan Captain

All right even though it's still over a year away, who do you want to win and who do you think will win?

Republican Candidates

2. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I know this is serious thread but what about this ;)

http://www.dennycrane2008.com

:p

Anyways. Even I am not American, I support Hillary. One good thing about these elections is that GWB cannot be selected anymore :D USA presidental election is always exciting to follow. And I hope you Americans vote if you can. If you say your vote doesn't - if 1000 says that - it's quite lots of votes [despite the strange USA system]

I think it would be much more interesting if USA had more 'big parties' [we have three in Finland]

3. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I don't know anything about Crane's early days, but the actor was born in Canada and is not eligible to run for president.

I miss the old days when Pat Paulsen ran for president. From IMDB.com:
    In 1968 Paulsen first ran for President of the United States under the Straight Talking American Government (STAG) Party, first as a "gag" candidate, then apparently for real. Some critics claim that he stole votes from Hubert H. Humphrey and caused Richard Nixon to be elected (n the televised election returns of that year, he was referred to as a "minor party candidate"). Until his death, he ran as a perennial write-in candidate. His last campaign slogan was "Send Pat Paulsen to the White House! He has to sleep somewhere!"

Even though he passed away ten years ago, he could still win over present candidates.

4. Ducky

Well it wasn't about Shatner - it was about Denny Crane. :p

5. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

:lol: Yay! Danny Crane for President, haha... he might fall under Republican candidates, huh? ;)
    Well, as much as I like the Danny-idea, I'd go with Hillary or Obama if I'd live in the US.
    Doesn't matter what you would choose, but just vote for someone, otherwise a candidate might win that nobody wanted to win.

6. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Well, I'm not American, so I can't vote either, I'm just thrilled Bush is going to be gone :D :D :D

I think I'd probably support Hillary.

7. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I'm not American either so I can't vote but I'm also glad that Bush is FINITO. :p What a superb job he did, eh? :rolleyes:

But if I could vote, I'd go for either Hillary or Obama. Good luck with your new Prez, my neighbors to the south! :)

8. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

Does anyone find it funny that all the people in here are from other places in the world, not the US? :lol:

If I was American, I'd definitely vote for Hillary. But what's sad, I heard on the radio a little while ago that there was a poll done and 53% of Americans DON'T want a woman president. Meaning they would vote against her just because she's not a man. I find that very sad. I hope she gets in, then she can clean up all Bush's messes.

9. Ducky

I was just thinking the same :lol: Rest of the world seems to be more excited about US presidental election than Americans :p

That's very sad :( And should be leading country in the world :rolleyes:
    The women do have troubles in politics everywhere (It's funny because here some 60% of Political science and stuff students are female but in top positions most are men :p ok fine we've had woman as a president for 7 yrs and with her, for few months we even had female prime minister).
    I guess in a way it would be new and strange. Even tho Condoleezza Rice has very high position so woman being president isn't so far from that :rolleyes:

10. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I will be able to vote in 08. I will not vote for Hillary, not because she's a woman. She's using the fact that she was married to President Clinton as a reason why she should be President. Yes she is a senator but for 1 full term and is into her second term.

I support pretty much all the democrats except for Hillary, I really only know much about Obama and Edwards. From what I know about Richardson he sounds like he'd be a good president.

I like Ron Paul, he seems like a good guy and I like the fact that he's opposed to the war, and often votes against republicans.

11. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

While I am an american it doesn't bother me one way or the other, as to voting and such and alot of people tell you, you make a difference, the problem with some of the decline in voting is from all the problems over the years. The hanging chads, not all the votes mailed in getting in on time to be counted, not to mention at least here in ohio people having problems with the machines, or you having to be in a certain district to vote. Heck around here if live on the varitable line between district one or two, both will have trouble deciding which poll you should be at.

As to who I would vote for, or against, I can honestly say I wouldn't vote for Hillary. To me it has nothing to do with her being a woman, or being president is a man thing, it has to do with personality, and honestly to me she doesn't have any, well thats not true, she is boring as heck (no offense to those who like her). If it were Condoleezza Rice now she has personality. I am sorry but in this time, you have to have a strong presents, a personality that won't either put you to sleep or be too loud. You have to have humor (cause some of these reporters you need it) that draws people in, there are many one liners from presidents that are funny and that tend to stand out, that stonic stone face to me at least sucks lol.

Honestly I think that alot of the problems when it comes to voting in general besides my opinions above are due to the campaign trail you have a bunch of people saying "I will do this or that" (how about the famous no raise on taxes my personal fav). Its all for show but not something that we don't already know but after a time you just say to heck with it.

But thats my opinion take it as you will. :D

12. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I voted but, will keep it a secret till the elections are here, lets just say I'm not a Republican :(Bush has been such an embarassment :(

13. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

I will definitely be voting in 2008, and will likely vote for Hillary in the primary elections. It's not just that she is a woman (although that's a neat bonus!) and personality doesn't have very much to do with it either -- look who's been elected before. I was all for Obama a couple of years ago, but his campaign has done an excellent job of raising money but someone really needs to coach the man on getting his point across succinctly. He goes on and on and you simply lose interest in what he has to say. *shrug*

Destiny that's an excellent point you make about why people don't vote. There have been so many instances of voter fraud and just outright criminal activity during elections that it would discourage people from voting. There are ways around them, however, and I hope it doesn't throw people off of voting.

And, don't ever let anyone tell you that your vote doesn't count. More and more elections in the U.S. are being decided by very narrow margins. In fact, in the 2004 elections in Washington State, the governor was elected by a margin of just 129 votes. That's an extreme case, but many elections are being decided by mere thousands of votes.

Truthfully though, I work in politics and I cannot wait for these elections to be over, they've begun so early!! Thank goodness I get a nice 3-month maternity leave "vacation" right in the middle of it to take a break from the madness.

14. Calihan

Calihan Captain

About the one vote making a difference, I'd like to point out two times in US history when one vote was the difference.

Thomas Jefferson was elected by 1 vote.

and when President Johnson was impeached he was one Senate vote shy of conviction and removal from office. The one vote came from the Senator who would have succeeded him as President (Not sure how that would have happened because the next person in line is Speaker of the House but maybe he was speaker then President of the Seanter comes next).

15. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

That's an interesting point you bring up. I know a lot of people that have gone into or are thinking about going into Political Science, and they're almost all women, but when you think about it, they don't get to the top that often, do they?

Here in Canada we had a female Prime Minister once, and it was only by default and she was in office for about three months. Nobody really considers her the "first woman PM" because like I said, it was kind of an accident she ended up in office, and she wasn't there long enough to do anything (Canada does not have set federal elections, the PM calls them whenever the hell he/she feels like it).

But you said you have BOTH a Pres and a PM? What country are you from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.