08 Presidential Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Pennsylvania! Understatement to say that Hillary really needed this win. Must have tasted very sweet after such a bruising run up to the vote. I really don't see how the Democrats are going to secure a nomination by the time the primaries end in June.

*off to read the penn voting demographics*

Well I'm not American, so it doesn't really matter, but I am following the elections, they are all over the news here in the UK, if I was voting though, I'd say Hilary for president, I think a woman president would do things differently, I think she'd do a great job. I'm also so glad that Bush is going to be out, he has done a terrible job, made a real mess during his time in office...

I agree, it was great that Hillary won Pennsylvania. And it was typical of sore loser Obama to take off before the results were even announced. But I have a question: Since the race has been so tight, what happens if neither of them get the magic number of 2 025 delegates? There was this thing on CNN I was watching and they hypothetically gave x number of states to Clinton and x number to Obama of the ten that still have to vote. They played around with it a couple different ways and neither of the candidates ever got to that delegate count needed for the nomination. So if that happens, what will the Democrats do at the convention?

I think right now Obama has like 1,705 delegates and Hillary has 1,574, so he's ahead so far, and Pa. didn't change that, she got 38 but he got 34, it's a strange process:cardie:

Really? The stats I saw said it was 1 719 for Obama and 1 586 for Clinton. And that she won 81 PA delegates as opposed to his 69.:confused:

COOL:thumbsup:I was going by last nights results thank's for the up-date! He's going to win the nomination, any bets?

Last edited:
To answer your question Liberty if neither candidate gets the magic number than at the convention party leaders or super delegates will caste their votes and if no one gets it then it goes through another round of voting until someone gets it. Or if one of them does drop out which isn't going to happen then the other person gets the nomination.

Desertwind I hope you're right and he does get the nomination so I'll join you in your bet.

As the results stand now Hillary is winning in West Virginia, but in delegates Obama still has the lead :bolian:so far he's got 1875 and she's got 1697

So what do we all think about Michigan and Florida? Should they get their delegates back? Or should they be punished for their actions? Personally I'm with Hillary, I think the delegates should count because it's not like it's the entire state's fault that somebody decided to schedule the primaries in January, and there are Americans living in those states that deserve to be heard. And yeah, being a Hillary supporter I would like for her to get the delegates from two states that she won, but I've heard it might not be enough to help her (especially now that Obama's taken over the superdelegate lead).

Either way I think this thing will still go all the way to the convention. They're only separated by 185 delegates, and Clinton is just not going to give up (one of the things I like about her). But Obama seems to think it's over and is directing his attention to beating McCain (which, from all the stats I've seen, would be a greater uphill battle than it would be if Clinton was the nominee. A lot of Dems are saying that if Obama's the nominee they'll either vote McCain or not at all).

To me Michigan and Florida already made this decision, and so it's over, get used to it folks & Hillary, moving on, she right now doesn't have a chance in hell of taking over what Obama has already won, the delegates the popular vote, and the super delegates, she needs to drop out:alienblush: he will be the candidate, and John Edwards endorsement:bolian: YEAH!

So what do we all think about Michigan and Florida? Should they get their delegates back? Or should they be punished for their actions? Personally I'm with Hillary, I think the delegates should count because it's not like it's the entire state's fault that somebody decided to schedule the primaries in January, and there are Americans living in those states that deserve to be heard.
I feel that changing the policy and seating the delegates sends the message that if you are a 'important' (read: big) state the rules don't apply and you can do what you want. Sure, it's unfortunate for the voters in those states, but they should voice their displeasure with the state leaders who disenfranchised them during the primary season by voting those guys out of office. The results as-is are not valid (especially Michigan, and in FL I'd argue that the results reflect name recognition back in January) and a re-vote is costly and unfair to those states who played by the rules.

They'll find some compromise and seat the delegates anyway, of course.

For me its the same speech different year. I have lost all faith in the presidency. If only we could wipe the slate clean and start fresh. But that is an unrealistic dream, so I will just try to endure.

Well, they've finally come to some resolution on this Michigan-Florida mess, they each get 1/2 delegate, silly, and un-realistic, Obama still wins:bolian:

READ IT HERE

Last edited:
I don't understand how they can give Obama delegates in Michigan. He took his name off the ticket knowing full well that the people in that state would not be happy their votes wouldn't count and would want to force something like this. He had to know they'd at least get some sort of recognition, and he chose not to campaign in the state anyway. If Michigan and Florida are getting punished for moving up their primaries, shouldn't Obama be punished for his choice as well?

YIPEE:bolian:, we've got a new Democratic nominee Barack Obama nailed it
congrat.gif
good job Mr. President
drinks.gif
read all about it here~~

http://news.aol.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back