Grade 'And Here's To You, Mrs. Azrael'

Rated A.
Great episode, amazing story. I was shocked at the end, that was very sad, really.
Hawkes was stunning, Hill's interpretation was perfect. He's great.
The chasing scene: AWESOME!!! :)
The funniest moments were Sid guessing with whom Mac's gonna spend the Thanksgiving Day, and Adam licking Danny's phone :lol: :lol: :lol:

What did you say, Mrs G? Mr Lenkov wrote the script?
Oh well then, he's my hero now!!!
If you read here: THANK YOU MR LENKOV!!! WE LOVE YOU!!! :D
That locker scene is... is... is...

*drool*

The thing with the wheelchair really irked me, I have to admit. I have cousins in wheelchairs, and the idea that someone would think their life wasn't worth as much because of it makes me angry. :mad:

I can understand taking that 'angle' if you're interviewing someone and trying to get them to confess--pretend that you understand how 'horrible' life would be like that and how it would be 'better' to put the person out of their misery. But I need to rewatch it before I can say if I think that might have been the point, or if the characters actually felt that way. :(

Now, on to happier things. :)

Hawkes backstory = yay! :lol: I think it was over-simplified, yes, but at the same time we have to remember that Hawkes was a young prodigy, and was probably very idealistic about what power he would have as a surgeon. Also, it's like that other doctor said to him--he was always very empathetic (or something like that). You know that Hawkes is a sensitive person that connects to people and really feels their pain.

The scene between Hawkes and Mac was good as well. We don't get nearly enough of these two in the same room, and Gary and Hill are phenomenal together. :D

Sid talking about carving the turkey with a scalpel? Oh, Sid, you've gone to that creepy place again. :lol: (Psst, Sid, invite Stella to Thanksgiving. *wink wink* ;))

Adam is so adorkable. I love when he's on the show, even if the more we see of his personality the more my Danny/Adam fanfic seems horribly out-of-character. :lol: C'mon Adam, that didn't hurt! :rolleyes:

I agree that it sucks that Hawkes' scene in the locker room was totally taken over by Danny taking off his shirt, but I can't pretend I wish the scene hadn't happened. :lol: When he started taking the shirt off, I believe my reaction in my weekly-chat was "OMG HE'S NOT WEARING A TANK TOP!!!" :lol: I hate that he got rid of the chest hair (*points to signature* :p), but he still looked so f***able in that scene. Now, Hill, darling, you need to pony up a shirtless scene so that we can do a real comparison and see if your claims of having better abs is true. ;)

My slashy tendencies picked up on so many possibilities in this episode. Mac/Hawkes, Mac/Flack (a little bit ;)), Hawkes/Danny, Hawkes/Danny/Adam, etc. :lol: The slash, it has taken over my brain! :lol:

But the best slashy moment was by far the locker room scene. Sheldon, my darling, you are upset and need some lovin', and there is a hot male specimen standing three feet away, already half-nekkid. Take advantage of that! :lol: Guh, can you imagine how hot that scene would be?...*drools* :lol:

Totally off-topic, but this episode has officially ruined my idea of what the locker room looks like. :lol: Oh well, the shower is the part I concentrated on in fanfic, and if they gave us a shower scene I'd be willing to shrug off the fact that my descriptions are totally inaccurate. :devil:

You have no idea how much I love reading your reviews :lol:

I hate that he got rid of the chest hair (*points to signature* ), but he still looked so f***able in that scene.
Chest Hair Lovers Unite
Carmine, grow it back, baby!
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! :D :lol:

About the upset Hawkes with the hottie next to him... I had the same thoughts in my LJ :devil:

I'm sure I'm going to get burned for this, but:
I absolutely hated the Mac backstory we had in this episode. I thought that it felt awkward, it took away from Hawkes, and just like Danny, I'm beginning to feel like there's just too much -- Mac is a war hero, he lost a wife in September 11th, he had a man die in his arms, he and Flack were in an explosion ( and HE saved Flack's life ), and now he had to refuse to kill his dying father and so magically has a deep connection with this case?

However, I still gave the episode an A, because I loved everything else. STILL, I would have liked to see some mention of just how young Hawkes had been when he became a board-certified surgeon. Sheldon Hawkes was suppose to have graduated college at 18. When Danny asked, "And you just walked away?" that would have been a perfect time for Hawkes to tell Danny that he was just a kid himself, trying to make a difference and still idealistic about saving everyone.

Other than that, I LOVED every single bit we learned about Hawkes. And his preformance was STELLER. I thought they could have done an interesting angle with the ( unreasonably ) hostile Chief of Staff -- some kind of backstory for their hostility, although I have my guesses ( even going so far as to wonder if race had something to do with it? ). I loved the way Hawkes full on stalked out of there -- I thought for a minute he was going to punch the guy!

Also, Adam's bits are so short but so personal -- I liked the bit about Danny's phone and the house blend coffee ( maybe because I can identify? I work at Starbucks ). I also like how Danny always has to pull him back on topic. What I enjoyed the most was that Adam obviously respects Hawkes, and was eager to get the second opinion on the trace found in the vic's mouth, and that Adam ALWAYS refers to Hawkes as "Doc."

The ending was good -- I'm glad it was quick, but it was a nice way to have Hawkes recognize that he is still a life-saver. And I also TRULY enjoyed his reasoning behind going to the ME's Office.

So, an A+ for me, because I absolutely love Hawkes and I think that this was a long overdue nod to his abilities, and a solid episode with interesting catches and twists, plus a lot of great moments for all the other characters.

I liked this eppy, loved half-naked Carmine. I also loved Hawkes since some focus was on him. And Hammerbeck! I just love him. I believe TPTB have listened to us and know that he is a character almost no one has anything bad to say. Great eppy, great bodies ....

MrsGiovinazzo said:
I gave this episode an "A." Strip Danny naked and I'll start dishing out "A+"s like candy on Halloween.

Yes, my brain stopped functioning. Also, I thought of you when the opening song played: Sweet Child O' Mine. It's almost as if you wrote that epi, MrsG!

I called the killer too as soon as it was mentioned that her daughter was in the crash too.

I'm still laughing at the thought of Sid Hammerback carving a Thanksgiving turkey with a scalpel to give wafer-thin slices. :D

Springmoon said:
I thought of you when the opening song played: Sweet Child O' Mine. It's almost as if you wrote that epi, MrsG!
I absolutely loved that too! :D If I ever wrote a CSI:NY episode, you better believe a GnR intro and shirtless Danny would be essential elements. Neither can be topped ... well, except maybe a naked Danny [CENSORED] me while GnR plays in the background. ;) But within the realm of reality, Lenkov is my hero.

I'll have to watch it again tonight to get a deeper impression, but I honestly didn't think the characters themselves thought that the girl's life would be worthless if she were in a wheelchair, but I think they figured that some of the people connected with her might think so, and they ran with it. They assumed a mercy killing from the get-go rather than a murderous mom, and I got the impression they were trying to coax a mercy killing confession from a so-called "well meaning" but misguided friend or family member. I never got the impression they felt that way themselves, otherwise they wouldn't have had Mac reveal the story about his father. Even though his dad was in pain and terminal, Mac still obviously felt that his life was still every bit worth living, down to the last natural minute.

You have no idea how much I love reading your reviews
Aw, thanks. I'm glad to know someone is amused by my slashiness. :lol:

*sigh* I had a nice long post done, and I managed to delete it. *headdesk* Let's see if I can remember everything.

I finally re-watched the episode, and I thought I'd come in and blabber some more. :p

Aw, did Flack fall down go boom? :( Poor baby, here, let Mama kiss it and make it all better. :devil:

When he told that kid he had some "splainin'" to do? Bwuah-hahahaha, Flackie, you keel me sometimes. :p And the pat-down? Be still my heart! (Or rather, be still my tingling naughty-bits. :devil:)

I loved his line to Stella about how the team should 'hang up their test tubes.' Hehehe. :lol:

I'd like to add Flack/Hawkes to my list of slashy pairings from last night. That interrogation scene was very nice. ;) And, you know, me being me, when Flack was standing behind Hawkes my mind went hehe *poke*. :devil:

So let's see if I understood the locker room scene correctly: Danny had managed to spill the 'house blend' coffee on himself and presumably his cellphone as well. He went in there to change and talked to Hawkes. Adam came looking for them (how did he know where to find Danny, I wonder? ;)), because Danny didn't answer his phone. Danny threw the phone to Adam, who proceeded to sniff and lick it, pronouncing that he knew it was the 'house blend' coffee based on some vaguely-scientific mumbo-jumbo and the fact that he was a 'coffee sommelier' in college to pick up chicks. :p (I thought sommelier was a term that was used to refer to wine, but whatever.) Adam, darling, why in the world would you lick and sniff the phone? What if Danny hadn't told you that the phone 'drowned' in the toilet until you'd gotten a good taste first? :rolleyes:

But I wonder if Danny expected Adam to fix it for him? Hehe, slash! ;)

I would have loved to know just what happened when that scene ended and the three of them were alone in the locker room. Sheldon, my darling, I totally caught you sneaking a little peek at Danny's delectable little tummy.

"When I get that feeling, I need sexual healing..."

:devil: Yes, indeed, the good Doctor does need a bit of that sexual healing.
Sheldon: Who's the doctor?
Danny: *squeals* Oooh, Sheldon, you're the doctor!
*spank*
Sheldon: That's right...

Not sure what Adam would be doing, but I have the sneaking suspicion Danny would make him play look-out while he and Sheldon took care of business--with the promise of some hawt man-love to make up for it later that night. :devil:

Anyway, back to the case itself. ;)

The guy that played the janitor was great. He did an excellent job of showing just how terrified that poor man was, worried about losing his job because he wanted to help the girl. :( *gives him a cookie*

I think the characters were definitely using the 'being in a wheelchair is a horrible fate' thing to get someone to talk, like MBGrissom said. The only time they really had an individual character talk to another character about it was when Hawkes was talking to Mac, and he obviously didn't think it was worth giving up on life. So hopefully that's what the writers had in mind, rather than the characters actually thinking being paralyzed was such a horrible thing. :)

How in the hell did the woman not even pause when she heard 'mom' come out of the girl's mouth in the hospital room? Even if she was totally convinced that it was Nicole, wouldn't she have been even slightly taken aback by the familiarity of it? Or looking into the girl's eyes, wouldn't she have recognized her? :rolleyes: But really, it's just such a sad story, that the woman killed her own daughter. :(

I'm glad they're starting to give us some background on the characters, but I hope they don't think they've done all they need to do with Sheldon. ;) No, my lovely writers, we must have more for him in the future. Don't neglect the good doctor, or I'll be forced to throw rotten eggs at you. :)

Hehe. :p

Now, what's this little tidbit about Danny sometimes thinking he should have gone into the construction business with his uncle? Very interesting that they threw that in there. ;) During our little chat, we discussed if the construction business was at all significant for Danny's family's 'connections,' and I believe my most brilliant deduction (please note the sarcasm) was the cement. You know, dumping bodies in the freshly poured foundation or something, or maybe getting cement to make into nice blocks for sending people to sleep with the fishes... :eek: yeah, *sporks self*. :lol:

Am I the only one who hopes that they show Hammerback's daughter at some point? :lol: She's probably so totally normal that it would be hilarious. I wonder how she reacts to her dad's total creepiness? :lol: I don't envy the boyfriends she brings to meet him, though, if he uses medical equipment in the kitchen or goes to his 'creepy place' on a regular basis. :lol:

But I'm curious why the young blonde girl in "Not What it Looks Like" reminded him of his daughter, but the young blonde girl in this one didn't seem to have the same effect...

So, anyway, in conclusion: This was a very good episode, the case was interesting, the twist at the end was well-done, the character backstory was lovely, and all the guys are totally shagging each other. :devil:

A

I gave it an A

It only took two and a half seasons to FINALLY give hawkes a History. Took them long enough.
But how hot did he look in this episode?
And it took them two and a half seasons to get Danny out of a shirt? Hmmmm.....
Thats all i really have to say.

Ok, last night's ep would've been an awesome ep if the plot hadn't been completely ripped from the headlines. That just made me think the writers got lazy. I don't know why it irked me, because tv shows do it all the time, but maybe because this story was too similar. However, I must admit that the writers made up for their lack of creativity in many ways, so overall I enjoyed this episode. I thought the backstory with Hawkes was fascinating, it's just too bad that they wrapped it up so quickly. And I was expecting more tensions between him and the chief of staff, but it just kind of faded away. Along with Flack, Hawkes is another character who sorely deserves more screen time. As we've seen from recent episodes, Hill Harper does an excellent job.

Although it was interesting to find out some more backstory on Mac's parents, I felt that it took a bit away from Hawkes' story. Let the poor man have a storyline to himself for once! Mac is somehow always stealing scenes.

Earlier someone mentioned that they didn't like CSI:Q, and I couldn't agree more. By giving the suspects it's essentially spoiling the ending. They only good thing about it is getting to see more of the characters during the commercial breaks.

Shallow me says the locker room scene made up for all the writers' lack of creativity.

Oh, and why does Flack have such a hard time chasing suspects? He's always getting knocked down or at the very least having to share the collar with someone else, I think they need to just let him have one successful take down all by himself. His line about new pants was priceless though.

ETA: Just one more comment. Maybe I was blind, but I could've sworn that one of the scenes from the preview wasn't included in the ep last night. I'm talking about the one where Flack is with Mac questioning a suspect (the boyfriend I believe) and he gets up in his face saying something to the effect: "Who gave you the right to play God" and Mac is trying to break them up. Am I hallucinating here?

MrsGiovinazzo said:
The only disappointment I have here is that I truly felt bad for Hill during the scene in the locker room. Here his character has been given this fantastic moment in which we get a glimpse into Hawkes' past and it's this revealing moment and then damn if they don't have Carmine remove his shirt for no apparent reason ("I'm wet"??? Yeah, so was I after watching that. ;)). Much as I love shirtless Danny, I hated the way that was written. Did anyone even hear Hill's lines while Carmine's shirt was off? I know I didn't and that's a shame.

I totally hear you. As much as I love what I've seen so far (read: comments and caps, I'm going to watch the episode in a little while) poor Hill deserves better. ;)

More thoughts later!

Back