Grade 'And Here's To You, Mrs. Azrael'

Fay's right, Azrael is the Angel of Death, but also the Angel of Justice -- so I think the title refers to Heather's mother, who murdered the girl ( hence the "death" ) to avenge what she classified as a murder ( the car crash that killed her 'daughter', hence the "justice" ). The title is implying that she is the 'wife' or female counterpart of the Angel of Death/Justice.

Also, as I said, I disliked the backstory for Mac in this episode VERY much.

Faylinn said:
...it's still the fact that both people wanted to avoid 'suffering' and asked someone to help them die...
I know that's probably what they were trying to bring across. But there is still a huge difference between someone suffering and wanting to die because he's going to any way and someone suffering, but with a fair chance of life, and wanting to die because it's not the life she anticipated.

But I don't wanna make this a big issue. The comparison just hurt me because of something personal :( and that's why I hated that scene.

detectdevotion said:
Fay's right, Azrael is the Angel of Death, but also the Angel of Justice -- so I think the title refers to Heather's mother, who murdered the girl ( hence the "death" ) to avenge what she classified as a murder ( the car crash that killed her 'daughter', hence the "justice" ). The title is implying that she is the 'wife' or female counterpart of the Angel of Death/Justice.
OK thanks, I think you're right. I didn't know who Azrael was (I know could've looked it up, but I'm feeling lazy today).

I liked the episode but really felt bad for the mother at the end. Then again well.....didn't. I can't begin to even imagine how I'd feel finding out I'd killed my own daughter. If she'd paid attention to when she said"mother"she'd have known it was her child. Revenge is soooooo powerful. We don't stop & think before we say & do things & that is our downfall. The right to life thing is I believe a person has that right to choose on their own. As far as someone else taking it hmmmm I'd understand even though I'm sure it would be considered murder by law if done outside the family & without a Dr there. Hope this makes sense.

You have seriously got me wanting this scene so damn bad. I would laugh my ass off, especially if Flack stops for a hot dog. He'd be like 'don't go too far' as he stopped to order one.

If i bring it up often enough, then maybe the PTB that allegedly lurk here will humor me. Or maybe they could throw in a scene with Flack getting pissy because the roller keeps running over his toes.

This post marks my first in the New York forum. I just watched Wednesday's episode, and felt the need to give a 'review'.

I thought this was a very powerful episode. Absolutely amazing. The case itself was very touching, and thought-provoking at times. The scene with the father saying goodbye to his daughter was moving.
I always love to learn about characters pasts, and so I loved the glance we got into Hawks', and even the small one into Macs, when we learned about his father.
It was nice as well to see the shot of the whole team together at the end.
And of course, I was thrilled to see that the biker at the very end was still alive. I was afraid Hawks was about to loose another one.
The only downside to this episode was that I had the killed pegged before we were even introduced to her. And I'm reallly bad at guessing the killer. Although, the case of mistaken identity was a surprise. It almost makes up for the transparent killler. I couldn't even bring myself to feel sorry for her in the end.
Once again, excellent episode. I give it an A.

I thought it was an excellent episode. How tragic for that woman to find out she killed her daughter.

A

Absolutely loved this episode--the show really is on a roll this season! I'm glad we finally found out why Hawkes gave up surgery for the morgue, even if it did just end up being because he couldn't stomach losing patients.

The story was so good that it made up for the fact that I figured out who the killer was right away, too. Given the title, there really were only two suspects. THe twist at the end was quite unexpected, though.

Other good things about the episode:

--Mac's personal stake in the case. I didn't think it was overkill--anyone could have been in that situation (as opposed to something very specialized, like having fought in Beruit in 83 or losing a spouse in 9/11).

--Flack's snarkiness! Though I wanted to see him lose it a bit like he did in the preview.

--Danny stripping down! Wow, I guess it doesn't matter that he's gotten zero character development this season. [/sarcasm] ;) Seriously, I like seeing his chest, but he's hot because his character is passionate and interesting. Sexy, buff guys are a dime a dozen. I'm not complaining, he looked good, but it did take away from Hawkes' big confessional moment.

--Lack of Lindsay. Every time she's on screen I'm reminded of what an annoying character she is. It's so nice not to have her as an irritation while watching the show.

I've been gone for a while but I had to weigh in on some things with this episode -

1. Cheap shot with the plot. I've said this before (exhaustingly I'm sure) but VICTIMS HAVE FAMILIES!! including those two girls in Indiana. TV shows should not take current events and make them into plots.
2. Since when does a hospital administator outrank a cop? Arrest his condescending ass and then see if he cooperates.
3. Hill Harper needs some medical teaching. When he's not butchering medical terminology, he's letting an accident victim's head fall without supporting his neck. Major, major no-no!!
4. I too am tired of Mac being connected to everything. Give us a break please. He got a personality finally this season, now lets lay off the crap.

I'm going to give it an A-. It's one of the most original CSI pplots, I'll give it that. Not very memorable otherwise though, honestly.

I'm still catching up on CSI: NY (and wishing I'd recorded the first part of Season 4 so I don't have to wait to catch up the whole way till next year! :rolleyes:) I really liked this episode, though I was surprised that they used the story line with two girls getting mixed-up after an accident, and burrying one thinking that it was the other who had passed away. This was a little too soon after the real life case of Whitney Cerak and Laura VanRyn. I have to think that the writers were aware of that case by the time they wrote this script, though.

When we saw Heather's mother talking to Nicole's mother, and she revealed that Heather had died in the same accident, I suspected she was the murderer. Soon after, I started suspecting that it could be a case of mistaken identity. I just really thought it couldn't be that because I couldn't believe they'd have run this story line so close to the real life event.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here on the way they were portraying people as feeling that life in a wheelchair wouldn't be living. My take on it was that the teenagers who made that pact felt that life wouldn't be worth living, and that the adult CSI's were just recognizing the teen's perception of that when during questioning and the like. I did NOT get the impression that the CSI's actually felt that way.

I think most teenagers who heard of another teen being injured and in a wheelchair would feel horrified and feel like that person's life was over at first take. And, I think that many people's first reaction, regardless of their age, to an accident in which they were paralyzed would be similar. Yes, life can be very fulfilling even if you use a wheelchair, but it does take some adjustment. I have known three people who have suffered spinal injuries and are paraplegic and use wheel chairs, and they all have good and fulfilling lives.

I enjoyed seeing a different side of Hawkes, though I kind of felt that his being so in-the-face with the chief of surgery (or whatever his title was) was a little over-the-top. They waved the "we're about to reveal skeletons in his closet!" flag way too hard with that. When all was said and done, I see no reason for Hawkes to have gotten that harsh with the guy, other than to let us know personal drama was coming. I did like the rest of the back-story on Hawkes, though, and was glad that they gave him a main story-line.

I enjoyed the scene between Sid and Mac with the whole Thanksgiving invitation. It was so well done and just left you wondering whether his motives were really pure or just how much he suspected about Mac's "other plans" to start with. :)

Nice, sad touch with Mac talking about his dad asking him to pull the plug, too. I can't imagine how awful it would feel to be in a position where someone asks you to do that.

And my husband and I laughed at the scene where the team was walking up the hallway with Lindsay slightly behind and Stella's file held out at *just* the right angle to hide Anna's pregnancy. It reminded me of the scene in M*A*S*H where Hawkeye was walking across the compound naked and all sorts of objects were used to hide his nether-regions from the camera. :lol:

GreenEyes said:
I'm still catching up on CSI: NY (and wishing I'd recorded the first part of Season 4 so I don't have to wait to catch up the whole way till next year! :rolleyes:) I really liked this episode, though I was surprised that they used the story line with two girls getting mixed-up after an accident, and burrying one thinking that it was the other who had passed away. This was a little too soon after the real life case of Whitney Cerak and Laura VanRyn. I have to think that the writers were aware of that case by the time they wrote this script, though.

I thought so, too, but in an interview with the episode's writer, Peter Lenkov, he swears that it's an idea that came to him independently of that case. It was the first thing I thought of, though, when I saw the episode.

I enjoyed seeing a different side of Hawkes, though I kind of felt that his being so in-the-face with the chief of surgery (or whatever his title was) was a little over-the-top. They waved the "we're about to reveal skeletons in his closet!" flag way too hard with that. When all was said and done, I see no reason for Hawkes to have gotten that harsh with the guy, other than to let us know personal drama was coming. I did like the rest of the back-story on Hawkes, though, and was glad that they gave him a main story-line.

I liked that confrontation between Hawkes and his mentor. It was obvious that there was something behind it, but eh, I enjoyed it so much that I didn't mind that so much.

And my husband and I laughed at the scene where the team was walking up the hallway with Lindsay slightly behind and Stella's file held out at *just* the right angle to hide Anna's pregnancy. It reminded me of the scene in M*A*S*H where Hawkeye was walking across the compound naked and all sorts of objects were used to hide his nether-regions from the camera. :lol:

Yeah, that was all sorts of cheesy. :lol:

^^^ I never noticed that before! So me being me went and checked and it's well done! (You can tell though that they were trying to do that by the way Melina kept 'arranging' the folder and anna looked at it s few times- to check :lol:)

Back