Grade 'And Here's To You, Mrs. Azrael'

So I gave this episode an A.

Boy oh boy, a total Hawkes centric-episode with a little Mac characterization to throw in for good measure.

Perhaps it was because I walked in on the episode after it started, but I was a little confused on what exactly Hawkes and the chief of surgery were arguing about. Yeah, so the guy was a little defensive when Hawkes accused him of having a potential murderer on staff. But when it came down to the little spat over why Hawkes left the hospital and comparing it to the dead girl….it didn’t fit. Those were two totally different circumstances (a guy who couldn’t stand helplessly watching people die and an unknown assailant committing ‘mercy killings’) and it reminded me more of a catfight than anything.

Again. I love Adam and I love Sid. They have easily been this season’s highlights for me. I have no idea what Adam was rambling about to Hawkes and Danny, but it still didn’t lessen my giggling of the scene. Sid on the other hand, I enjoy watching that he has both a creepy side and a general concern/sympathy for others. He isn’t a one-dimensional ME, and despite scattered appearances, the viewers know quite a bit about him.

Heck, they probably know more about him than they do Flack.

Now Danny and the shirtless scene….my opinion is torn between ecstatic fan-girlish joy and the continual growing disappointment I’ve felt all season. On one hand it was nice to see a more updated shirtless scene, but on the other hand I frowned on the fact that that was his sole purpose in the episode. It’s been noted that he’s the show’s sex symbol in the past, but that’s basically all he’s been this entire season. In my opinion, he’s been used to prop up another character’s existence and look damn good doing it. All this characterization they’ve spent building on him has been tossed to the wayside and instead we’re left with a guy who’s popping Prozac pills and choosing to spray-paint his clothes on.

Don’t get me wrong, the guy is hot, but he was also hot last season and the season before…and his character had bite. I feel as though now he supposed to be a sex prop instead of a member on the show. I know Carmine’s been subjected to stripping before (and apparently hasn’t a problem with it, lol), but to go from having a kick-ass (drama queen) character to basically peddling the 18-24+ demographic(s) sex is kind of not as exciting.

Heck, next season he's going to be solving crimes in a pair of boxers.

But crap, he looked good. *drools*

Anyway, I can’t think of anything else at the moment and will probably add other stuff later.

I don't have a lot to add to the other comments as most of the highlights of this episode have been covered. Nice to have more back story on Hawkes, following through on his comments in Grand Murder At Central Station, and a little more insight into Mac is always a bonus. Sid's invitation for Thanksgiving was a delightful scene and Shirtless!Danny an unexpected bonus (I can hear the fangirl squeeing from here!) although it is disappointing that Danny has been relegated to the sidelines a little too long this season IMHO. This episode carried through on the theme of family which is being explored this season - not only the (somewhat shaky) plotline but the references to Mac's father, Sid's family, the chief of staff referring to the hospital as Hawkes' 'home' and the final montage where the whole team are walking away from the mother together (a judicious use of a file by Stella covered AB's pregnancy) showing their bond as a team. I was going to give it an A until the locker room scene . . .sigh, I ended up being fangirly, too, and gave it an A+ just 'cos of Danny's pecs.

Wow. I have to say reading the reviews have been just as good as watching the show.
The good thing about CSI: New York is that fat, and/or old, and/or ugly people never die. And yet every week there's more young, beautiful people than the week before! It's a mystery. I think for every young, beautiful person that dies, three are born.
Midnight your too funny. What happened to any normal person dying?

Nice chase scene with Mac/Flack taking down Matt Huxley, the ex boyfriend. Mac can still run pretty good for his age, and Flack does not like getting his clothing scuffied up, he doesn't have a suit allowance, thank you veddy much...
MBGrissom, so true. Because Flack looks damn hot in a suit. He needs a suit allowance. But I guess that doesn't cover the ties. :lol:

I do think the end with them in the hallway was cheesy. Liked seeing Danny, Hawkes, & Adam in the locker room. Because that's where the really good stuff happens. ;)

midnight_tiptoes said:
Why are all the male characters on CSI: NY so whiny? What a bunch of girls. It's like Stella has been systematically removing their penises and keeping them as charms.
Lmao. :lol:

...and if Anna Belknap were any more pregnant she'd be migrating to tropical waters.
It is just me, or do TPTB seem to not really care if they hide Anna's pregnancy or not? It seems that they try to do it, and if it works -- great! -- and if not, well then it's not really a big deal. You figure in 'Murder Sings the Blues' you wouldn't have an obviously pregnant woman hanging on a subway rail above the crowd. Hide her in the crowd or something. But I thought tonight's blunder was the biggest of them all. Why on earth would you put her in an open white labcoat and wearing a dark shirt? Then not only not bother to button the labcoat up, but proceed to let her bend over and show a shot of the nice round hump? That labcoat sure did provide a nice backdrop for showcasing that pregnant belly.

But what? Are they expecting the viewers to believe that Lindsay's now taken to wearing a beach ball underneath her clothes?

That was bad with the lab coat but I thought her in the hallway with the gang was the worst. She walks in stage left with a belly profile then she turns and you see how high they had the coat tied. Hello look she is pregnant! Way to go TPTB.

I had some very mixed feelings about this ep. I liked that there was only one case and the "twist" of the girl in the hospital bed not being who everybody thought she was caught me by surprise.
Here's what I didn't like: the suggestion from almost everybody that it would be "more merciful" to kill a person than "force" them to live the rest of their life in a wheelchair.
Here's why I didn't like it: I have a brother who was in a diving accident when he was about the same age as the character in the show and has been in a wheelchair ever since. During the first few months after his accident, my brother was very bitter and depressed and often said he'd be "better off dead." However, he got over it and has lived for the past 20 years quite happily. He was just out of high school when his accident happened and in the intervening years he has completed college and a master's degree and is currently working on his doctorate while employed at a university.
During the first few months after any kind of major tragedy -- whether it's losing the ability to walk or see or losing a spouse or child -- it's natural for people to think they'd "rather die" than go on living. What people need in these circumstances is encouragement to LIVE not tacit approval of suicide!!

This episode gets an A+ from me.

Hill Harper's AMAZING, AWESOME, INCREDIBLE, acting. He really did great with the material given to him. :)

As a Danny/Hawkes shipper I totally loved the locker room scene(the fact that Danny was shirtless didn't hurt either. :D) I liked Danny's line "You're still a doctor." Very cool.

NO B CASE!!! I really ejoyed the fact that there was only the one case.

Hammerback and Mac, be it fishing or sincere invitation it was a very cute scene.

I knew who the killer would be, but I was surprised by the identity switch.

Now that Medium airs on Wednsdays I have to watch CSI:NY on cbs.com. It's not too big of a pain, although the clip sometimes does that start/stop thing, or I'll have the audio but the picture freezes up. Oh, well. It's a minor annoyance and on the plus side there are no commercials. :D

Liked it. A-/B+

Way obvious on Anna B's pg. But...big deal, really. There were some pretty obvious shots of Mariska Hargitay's on SVU, too. Everyone knows Anna B is pg IRL, why make a fuss?

And...i agree with the people who have mentioned the assisted suicide angle of this case....a friend of mine from high school was in a car accident a few years ago and is paralyzed from the chest down. He's still the same fun, nice, easy-going guy he always was, living a full life. Why imply that somehow you are worthless if you can't walk, like this ep did?

Love the Hawkes stuff. The chief of staff at the hospital was played by a guy who also played a jerky doctor in the early seasons of ER. And...the locker room scene with Danny & Hawkes was important, IMO - not because of the partial Danny-nudity, but because he said "You're still a doctor, Hawkes." And later, at the end of the ep when he was saving the cyclist, he said "Yes. I'm a doctor." Kind of him stepping up and defining himself TO himself. Liked it.

Hmm, I gave it a A-/B+ as well.

What I liked: A backstory on Hawkes, The team working ONE case instead of 2, Sid, Danny and Hawkes bonding in the locker room, and of course, Shirtless Danny.

What I didn't like: Well I knew who the killer was immediately. And the heart pad twist was pretty obvious. I had not heard the RL story, so maybe it would have been more emotional to me if I had heard of it before hand.

I was so excited for Hawkes' backstory, but pretty disappointed in it. I thought it was a pretty superficial backstory. Although Hill did an excellent job as usual.

And the whole assisted suicide thing was beaten to death. I didn't like the girl from the get-go. Of course the one dancing half naked on a table in the middle of the club would be so superficial to think her "life" would be over if she was in a wheelchair. She wouldn't be able to drive her precious lexus obviously. And no more dancing half naked.

I don't know, I was just bored with this one.

The assisted suicide thing bothered me as well. Isn't this the same show that had Stella say to a killer, "[He] took away your brother's LEGS, not your brother's LIFE?"

Maybe if the girl was brain dead, or would have to spend her entire life hooked up to machines then the assisted suicide would make more logical sense. But not a wheelchair.

ThisIsMe-how had you read that scene beforehand?

And I don't like this CSI-Q thing-it eliminates some suspects.

I gotta say though-the ending was IMO the best CSI: NY twist since "Three Generations are Enough."

I gave this episode an "A." Strip Danny naked and I'll start dishing out "A+"s like candy on Halloween.

First off, let me say thank you to Peter Lenkov. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Mr. Lenkov is clearly a friend of the fangirl. This episode was penned by the same generous soul who brought up "Trapped." Personally, I believe Lenkov should write every episode. By the end of the season Danny would surely be naked and, if Mr. Lenkov reads this board, he'd be [CENSORED] Flack as well. ;) [Mr. Lenkov, please please tell me you read this board.]

Aside from the gratuitous and entirely unnecessary whoring of Carmine (for which I am grateful), this was possibly the best episode of the season. I'm almost surprised I'd say that given the negligable amount of screentime Danny saw, but it's true. The story was well-crafted, even if jacked straight from the headlines, and the performances were fantastic.

It's nice to see Flack display something other than sarcasm for the second week in a row. Eddie is capable of playing a greater emotional range than he is normally given to work with and it's nice to see him shine when given the opportunity.

I loved that Hawkes finally got a bit of development last night! That character has so much potential, but really hasn't been explored. The storyline was compelling and Hill played it like the pro that he is. Really, really well done. The only disappointment I have here is that I truly felt bad for Hill during the scene in the locker room. Here his character has been given this fantastic moment in which we get a glimpse into Hawkes' past and it's this revealing moment and then damn if they don't have Carmine remove his shirt for no apparent reason ("I'm wet"??? Yeah, so was I after watching that. ;)). Much as I love shirtless Danny, I hated the way that was written. Did anyone even hear Hill's lines while Carmine's shirt was off? I know I didn't and that's a shame.

Overall -- fantastic episode. Two thumbs way up!

The assisted suicide thing bothered me as well. Isn't this the same show that had Stella say to a killer, "[He] took away your brother's LEGS, not your brother's LIFE?"

Exactly. Thank you. Where was that Stella last night? That Stella was my hero. This Stella hopped on the pity bandwagon with everyone else. The Crotchety Continuity Codgers need to stage a raid on CSI:NY

Back