Grade 'And Here's To You, Mrs. Azrael'

I feel a need to 'fess up and say I never thought Flack was hot until this ep. It's more the personality than the looks.
Oh, and another yes vote for chest hair.

You are not blind; the bit with Flack gettign in the suspect's face was not included in the episode last night. Fay and I were remarking on that last night.

Maybe I was blind, but I could've sworn that one of the scenes from the preview wasn't included in the ep last night. I'm talking about the one where Flack is with Mac questioning a suspect (the boyfriend I believe) and he gets up in his face saying something to the effect: "Who gave you the right to play God" and Mac is trying to break them up. Am I hallucinating here?
Nope. No angry Flack scene like in promo. Sigh. Promo dudes are Liars... :eek: I was looking forward to that line...
Humph. Good episode. Pegged the volunteer lady from the beginning though. Even with out the CSIQ crap. (Using Flack's line 'move now, repeat, move now! line in a commercial was very cheesy, I thought)
I was kinda annoyed with Mac's backstory. If anyone would be affected by this case, you'd think it would be Flack, the one who actually had to stay in the hospital for a long time. And is it just me, or does Flack look very dorky in an overcoat?
About the storyline: I recognized the mix up thing right away, and at first I thought Hey! What a good idea! But then I was like, wait. I wonder how the families and friends of those girls feel seeing something like their daughter's storys on TV. I would feel horrible, especially since the girls in this episode were drinking and driving and one of them had drugs, and the girls who were mixed up weren't like that at all.

and Adam licking Danny's phone
After them bumping fists and agreeing that bowling was the best last week, and now this, I'm convinced that Danny's giving Adam lessons in how to be a playa' (since he's in love with Lindsay and won't be dating anyone else -- humor me people!). :lol:

I gave the ep an A. I liked Sheldon's backstory, shirtless Danny (Carmine, grow your chest hair back, dang it!), emotional Mac about his Dad and the whole case about the self-destructive girl. NY gave it to us all last night, and has already been mentioned, Guns 'n' Roses!!!!!

Ah, my first A+! Despite the lack of Lindsay, the acting was nothing less than awesome from everyone.

I'll admit, Hawkes is not one of my favorites, but he really ran with the ball tonight. I love how he told off that other doctor in the hospital. And after watching the Danny shirtless scene, I did infact rewind to watch/listen to Hawkes talking.

Sid and Mac talking about Thanksgiving was priceless :D

Despite the lack of Danny all episode, giving us a shirtless Danny makes up for it. I'll take shirtless Danny for 2 minutes over boring Danny all episode.

I bumped my rating up a "+" for the end. Best ending I've probably seen this season. But what really made me raise my rating and change my mind was the oh-so-cleverly-placed folder of Stella's. I laughed and smiled :p

After them bumping fists and agreeing that bowling was the best last week, and now this, I'm convinced that Danny's giving Adam lessons in how to be a playa' (since he's in love with Lindsay and won't be dating anyone else -- humor me people!). :lol:
*blink* Say what? I've never heard of a playa bowling and licking phones, but if you say so... :lol: As for the Lindsay thing, we'll have to disagree on that one. ;)

IMO, Danny + Adam = Totally Shagging. Plz and thanx. :p (And I'm eventually going to have both a 'coffee' and a 'bowling' fic for these two. *sigh* Slash is my lifeblood. :devil:)

I think that would have been a pretty powerful scene for Flack, and I wish we'd seen how he and Mac interacted afterwards...

I was thinking about this a few minutes ago, and thought I'd mention it. When Hawkes was talking about losing the patient, didn't he say something about exercising his right to learn by performing two high-risk surgeries? So maybe he feels like he's responsible for the person (maybe two people?) who died because he chose to take their lives into his own hands. Knowing Sheldon, he probably thinks that a more experienced doctor could have kept them alive. :(

Well, I only watched it once last night but I gave the episode a A-.

It was a really good one. The case was interesting, with the mistaken identity and all, but my favourite part was Hawkes' backstory. Hill did an amazing job with that, you could see the emotions on his face.

Faylinn, I agree with you there. Hawkes (especially his younger version) would surely blame himself for losing a patient, which is why I found it totally believable that he decided to become an ME afterwards. Btw, the actor who played Dr. Richard is really good at roles like this so as soon as I saw him I knew we were in for some tension.

I'm sorry about the Flack scene that was cut, I hate it when something like this happens. And as much as I love him, in the script it was suppposed to be Danny and Mac chasing the girl's boyfriend so I'm wondering why they changed that.

I'm not complaining because that locker room moment was pricelss :D but Danny seems to have as much screen time as Lindsay lately, only Anna has a damn good excuse...

Sheldon: Who's the doctor?
Danny: *squeals* Oooh, Sheldon, you're the doctor!
*spank*
Sheldon: That's right...
Whoa, visual. :lol: I wish they'd give Sheldon some loving though... The guy's WAY TOO lonely.

Stunning episode. I liked everyone working on one case instead of two, it showed the bonding of the group. I also liked the locker scene, I don't remember seeing one in Season 2... but Season 1, I think Officer Blue with Stella and Mac shaking hands. Anyway, the scene seemed so natural. It showed how comfortable the characters are around each other. Love that, because at the end of the day-- it's really the character's interaction and relationships that tie us in. :)

but Danny seems to have as much screen time as Lindsay lately, only Anna has a damn good excuse...
:lol: Yep. We needed more Danny.

Although, I'm glad we saw alot of him in this episode. :D

I loved the Hawkes storyline. I'm glad he is getting some development. I had the killer pegged from the get go, but I loved the twist of it being her daughter she killed. Loved the Thanksgiving invite scene with Sid. He is a quirky and fun character and I'm glad they are using him well.

As much as I whine and bitch about CSI:NY and its often cack-handed handling of disability, I have to give them credit for at least addressing it and admitting that not everyone is born with a full set of working limbs. "Here's to You..." was, if I recall, the fourth time they've involved disability in some fashion. There was the blind victim in S2, the developmentally-disabled superhero in S2, the paralyzed suspect in S3, and now the victim in "Here's to You." Not to mention the short-lived Dr. Giles from S1, who worked in the lab from his wheelchair. It's clumsy at times, but they're trying, putting it out there.

I'd still like to see a disabled perpetrator just so I can see a wheel-speed chase between them and Flack. You know, one where he jogs behind the electric getaway wheels as they speed along at three miles an hour. Maybe he could stop for a dog during the collar...

Actually, it'd be nice if they acknowledged that disability/=helpless saints.

As much as I whine and bitch about CSI:NY and its often cack-handed handling of disability
Ah, but you're never wrong. ;) It's good to see them trying, but like you say, it's clumsy and should be handled better. The disabled person doesn't always have to be a victim in some way, or portrayed as terribly tragic. They've tried to put a bit of that out there, I know, but it just always seems like they're tiptoeing around disabilities, or not including them unless they're important to the plot. Dr Giles was awesome, I wish they'd kept him around. One thing that I liked about him was that they never even mentioned him being in a wheelchair. People with disabilities don't only show up when they're involved in some way with a suspicious death.

I have to give them credit for at least addressing it and admitting that not everyone is born with a full set of working limbs...they're trying, putting it out there.
Very true. :)

I'd still like to see a disabled perpetrator just so I can see a wheel-speed chase between them and Flack. You know, one where he jogs behind the electric getaway wheels as they speed along at three miles an hour. Maybe he could stop for a dog during the collar...
You have seriously got me wanting this scene so damn bad. :lol: I would laugh my ass off, especially if Flack stops for a hot dog. He'd be like 'don't go too far' as he stopped to order one. :lol:

Voted A

Lots of good things about this ep.

Nice that it was just one case (again). I thought the beginning, where they showed that girl’s life flashing by in a few seconds, was excellent. Liked the little peek in Hawkes’ history. The twist in the end with the mother killing her own daughter I thought was excellent. And if that whole mixed up identity story was really based on that real tragic accident it makes it an even sadder story. But I somehow cannot imagine that they actually used that; it seems more like some morbid coincidence.

And nice to see that they are still trying to give Anna a little part in every episode. Although I think they could come up with much more ways to hide her pregnancy, but maybe she’s just not fit enough to work a lot.

The only thing I really didn’t like was the Mac/Hawkes conversation. First, they were comparing to completely different things. Euthanasia (Mac’s dad) is not the same as assisted suicide (paralysed girl). Second, Hawkes telling Mac that he made the right decision. Everyone who has ever been in that kind of situation knows there is no ‘right’ decision when you have to choose between unimaginable suffering and death :(

But I’m getting way to serious now. Loved what Carmine did with the little time he had to act ;) this week.

Ed:Question: Can somebody explain this episode's title?

Azrael is one of the names of the angel of death, but I'm not sure how that fits with the similarity to the song title "Here's to You, Mrs. Robinson." If anybody knows anything about this one, I'm interested to hear it...

Everyone who has ever been in that kind of situation knows there is no ‘right’ decision when you have to choose between unimaginable suffering and death
True, but someone like Hawkes would probably be of the impression that death is never the 'right' way to go if life of any quality is possible.

As for the difference between Mac's dad and the victim, that's definitely true. However, it comes down to how the person sees it. Nicole apparently saw a life in a wheelchair as 'suffering,' and while it might seem absurd to compare that 'suffering' to the slow death Mac's father was experiencing, and a cowardly way to avoid life's difficulties, it's still the fact that both people wanted to avoid 'suffering' and asked someone to help them die...

Back