What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Do you know other good crimewriters or thrillers?
    Of course there is guys like Stephen King or Ann Rice. But any new and upcoming?
    And do you think the old Sher. Holmes would make it as CSI storylines?

2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Crime Writers coming up. I love crime writers

Ian Rankin
    Peter Robinson
    Elizabeth George
    P.D. James
    Deborah Crombie
    Reginald Hill
    Martha Grimes
    Sue Grafton
    Stuart Pawson
    Faye Kellerman

And the list could go on. These are all written in English but I'm sure theses authors have had their work translated into other languages.

3. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

English is fine.....If you read my list, you know I feel some books are good for different reasons...

Could you when you have the time:1. give me some pointers as to what works in stories of the writers....You know good plots or actionbased writting?
    2. As I only have just some sparetime a day. Is there something you say about which I should leave for the holidays and which entertaining but easy?

But Thank you very much for the list:)

4. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Ajbuckly: I read only Scandinavian crime books;)

Today I ended reading "Dead Until Dark" by Charlain Harris. I'm totally in love with True Blood so I needed to read this one. I enjoyed it and today I've started second book in the series Southern Vampire (or Sookie Stackhouse novels) - "Living Dead in Dallas".

5. CoachMom

CoachMom CSI Level One

I just finished Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors now I'm on to CB and the Hidden King.
    Yes, they are childrens books but I try to read stuff that my students are reading as well as what I like. These aren't bad books they are actually pretty good.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  6. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

^ Haha, I love those books! :D

I am currently reading "The Course of Instruction" by David Wheldon.
    I've only had a chance to read the first page, but so far it seems like it'll be different. One of the reviews on it said that it's "terrifyingly different", so I have high hopes for it.
    But, I guess you can't complain too much when the book only cost 50 cents.

7. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Goodmorning gals and guy(s)

I really like this. We are almost a bookclub.:). I will try and get hold of some of your suggestions. Perhaps we should start rating our books and give a short recap. I donĀ“t know how you(all of you) feel. But sometimes I am in the mood for one genre and sometimes other. Sometimes I like good characterdepiction(?) and sometimes it slows the book down so much it get boring....But if you could and have time a short recap and rating would be nice.
    Jaquie: There must be something different you like about the different authors?

Have a great day and see you later in bookland

8. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

The think I like about those authors is that they all write very good police procedural books. You get characters you can believe in and some of them have a touch of romance in them, nothing sappy though. A lot of the time when I look for a new author to try it's the story that intrigues me. If I don't find the story likeable then I don't read the book. You can pick up a lot from jsut reading the jacket cover or the back of the book.

My first mystery author that I feel in love with was Agatha Christie. I think somewhere in the house we have all her Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple and Tommy and Tuppence books. Heck we even have a cat named Tuppence :)

My first author that I really recall reading was Lucy Maud Montgomery and her Anne of Green Gable books. What Canadian girl hasn't read those books.

9. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

And not only Canadian;) We're reading the first book for school too. I really enjoyed all series. Very warm and nice story. Maybe one day I'll read it again. But now I want to read in a row Harris' books. I'm close to end second book, maybe I'll get third one or maybe a small break... I don't know still.

10. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I'm not Canadian but I love the Anne of Green Gables series. My favorite is the third book, Anne of the Island. Plus, I had a thing for Gilbert Blythe! :lol: Every, now and then I'd reread the series. :D

11. lal

lal Pathologist

hi i'am currently reading Just After Midnight by Stephen King :)

12. CoachMom

CoachMom CSI Level One

Night by Elie Wiesel. My son has to read it for a project so I am reading it too.

13. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I have been on a Danielle Steel's kick for the last few months. I have read 30 of her 76 books. I am reading about one a week. Right now I am reading "Safe Harbour".

14. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i was in the middle of a Gene Kelly biography but now i have to read some plays from a book by Tennessee Williams. the plays aren't that bad (Summer and Smoke, Orpheus Descending, Suddenly Last Summer and Period of Adjustment) but i was having a good time reading about Gene Kelly. the plays i have to read for my acting class and i can't stand the teacher she's a psychopath!!!

15. Fool4love

Fool4love Police Officer

I'm currently trying to read skin privilege by Karin Slaughter, but i have so much work on at the moment that i cant seem to find time for it.

I'm not sure if there is another thread for this but i was wondering if anyone here could name a book for me. I read it as a kid and cant for the life of me remember what it is called or who it is by. It starts off with a girl being taken to a drug rehad center by her parents and when she gets there she locks herself in the car and refuses to get out. Once she does she is left there in the care of this really quite sadistic man and other carers who try to convince her that she has a drug problem. I think that her parents left her brother in the same center and on a visit home he killed himself.
    I know it's not a very pleasent book but its one of those things were it is going to drive me crazy if i cant remember the name of it.
    Anyone know it??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.