What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

I decided to read some favorite classics so now I'm reading "Master and Margarita". Just awesome book and with every reading I'm finding something new in this story.

2. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Well I decided to take a chance and read The Secret. It's a book about changing your life by changing your perspective on life. If you think it, it will come. Now I'm not sure about the theory, but hey why not.

3. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

I'll stay with some classic stuff (I have too much free time:lol:)

"Lalka" (Doll in English) is by Polish writer, Boleslaw Prus. One of the best books ever and my only favorite written in Polish.

4. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Currently I'm reading David Copperfield by Charles Dickens and The Waiting Years by Fumiko Enchi. I recommend them as they are both very good reads, though The Waiting Years is quicker then DC. Both are for classes at school...and then I'll be starting more novels, the joys of being an English major. :lol:

5. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Hi fellow fans of litt.

I promised to list some good crimesolving titles. So here we go:

For beginners or people on a train

1.Ed Mcbain: Lightning. Easy read and a must read. Excellent plot -good structure of storytelling and surprise characterdescripton.

Going on more buses or trains: The series of Station 87 mysteries. Start with the Deaf man. They are all easy read, so the crimesolvning is twisted but if you want to relate to characters you have to read the series.

Mary Higgens: Moonligth becomes you. Worst nightmare for a person.
    She has a series of books.But I havn´t read that many.
    Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child has a series. Especially the one in the subway of New York. :evil:

2. For beaches and planerides. "The last templerknight" by Raymond Khoury. I know no more Dan Brownstuff. But this one more crimepuzzle and more action.

Julie Parsons The guilty Heart. The main character gets his son abducted..Tema in itself heartbreaking....But this one really gets to you.

Jean - Christophe Grangé : Bloodred rives(1+2)....The books are ten -times better then the movies. Much more intriging and complex in the mistery and more fun in the characterdescription.

3. For thoose all nigthers:

Jean - Christophe Grangé: "The Wolflair". I know the book is the size of a brick ----but finally a femalecharacter who is taking action without having any doubts. And very interesting backplot or setting of plot...I didn´t what was a factor in real life...Well read the book.

Ninette Walters. A series of bricksizes books ...But good...I liked the one about Hatecrime in London but can not remember the titel.

I hope this will inspire you....and if you want something in another genre let me know....

6. Sagemint

Sagemint Witness

I'm reading a little over coughthirtycough books. xD

But I'm mainly focused on CSI Cold Burn, Mr.Monk is Miserable, Burn Notice:The Fix, and others. So yep that's about it.

Oh and "To kill a Mockingbird". I like reading it for school better, because the first time I read it it was on my own and I didn't disect it that much as we do in school.

7. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

I've started "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (why it's not "Men who hate women" like in original in Swedish, I don't know) by Stieg Larsson. I'm not only a SF fan but also various books by Scandinavian authors. I love Scandinavian criminals so I needed to get this book. I'm at the beginning but the subject and case is really interesting. Definitely I'll read more beofre sleep.

8. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Some said: the film is just as great as the book...I will wait and form my opinion later....Am at the moment seeing the Rote Arme Fraction movies...I will tried and find some books on them also. Have you read Tom Egelund "End of the cirle"?

9. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i'm reading two books on Alfred Hitchcock's movies. one is about his movies, the author breaks them down and gives some trivia on them and the 2nd one is a book of interviews with a director named Francois Truffaut. these books are fantastic they make watching the movies so much more fun.

10. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Oh- Truffaut was big in the French "new wave" wasn't he? That would be an interesting book... provided they're asking him interesting questions.

11. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

You mean "The Girl with..."? If I good remember, it will be mini series like a very good Danish one - "Ornen" (Eagle). I even don't remember that they ended filming it:lol: First book is on Poland for a few months only, but in April (quite fast) they will publish second. Larsson is a way much better than Mankell. I read first book and then I stopped. Movies based on books or scripts written by Mankell were really boring. And nope, I haven't read any books by Eglund - Swede, right? Personally I prefer Norwegian criminals, expecially Jo Nesbo, his stories with Harry Hole are really dynamic and interesting. After Larsson I'll read Liza Marklund (I think, lol).

12. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Hi there....

Do you have any authorname or what is the titel? Sometimes I read thoose movietriviabook, where they mention faults and odd things going on....Only problem that I have to see the movies again...:).

Deirdre: Do you have an author from your country (Crimebooks or thrillers) that is in english?(translated)If you get the chance watch "Rejseholdet" Danish series very good ...It won some sort of award.

13. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Nope. We have a long tradition of writing crime books but at this moment hardly anyone is writing stuff like that. A lot of people here like to read crime books and thrillers but we don't have many writers. Of course they're publishing but no one is interested in translations.

14. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Well too bad....You probably read the list I made in tread. If you like reading and have the time...Try the Bloodred rivers by Grangé. It´s bit like "The eagle".

There is also "The red dragon" which was later a film...but I liked the book better.

15. Live4GrissNSara

Live4GrissNSara Lab Technician

I'm currently reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom just because I thought it sounded interesting.

Haha. I've re-read the series everytime a new HP book came out. And once I'm done The Five People You Meet In Heaven, I plan on re re re re re re re reading them again before The Half Blood Prince comes out. Which is my favorite one. I'm scared they will screw up The Lightning Struck Tower though,which is one of my favorite chapters.

I finished the Twilight series a couple of weeks ago and I have to say, Breaking Dawn just ruined them for me. I liked the first three, but Breaking Dawn was just so bad that I doubt I will ever pick them up again in my life.

:shifty:**BREAKING DAWN SPOILERS**:shifty:
    Okay these are my issues with Breaking Dawn:
    1. Bella and Edward are married by the third chapter and therefore eliminating any potential love triangles or conflict.
    2. The post sex scenes/Bella being beat up and bruised.
    3. Bella becoming sex obsessed.
    4. Edward trying to distract Bella so that they woudn't have sex again.
    5. Bella becoming pregnant.
    6. Edward asking Jacob to sleep with his wife so that she can get an abortion and create a new baby with Jacob. (What..?)
    7. Edward becoming a lap dog to Bella and doing whatever she asks. It's pathetic. What are you thinking Edward?
    8. The extremely disturbing pregnant scenes and giving birth scene.
    9. The climax of Bella finally becoming a vampire is because she's dying from giving birth..
    10. Renesmee can talk within a week, and her super growth rate.
    11. Jacob imprinting on Renesmee (WHY!?)
    12. The anticipated climax of the Volturies return. Seriously? A talk fest? Now they can return at anytime and pick of The Cullens/Denali coven/Amazon coven/Ect when they're not all banded together.

I honestly think this was the worst book I've ever read. And I'm not saying all of this out of hatred for the series, just this book. I thought the series as a whole had so much potential and interesting characters and I think that's what annoys me the most. Breaking Dawn could have beem so much more, but Meyer just went in this extremely wierd direction that I don't think anyone saw coming.

By the end of it, the only character I liked was Jacob. Because he was the only character that had any depth to him. And one more thing I didn't like. In the Jacob section, you find out a lot about Leah and her feelings. You find out that she thinks she's a monster and that she'll never fall in love now that Sam has left her. Then it plays up how Jacob and Leah are getting really close, and them BAM, Jacob imprints on Renesmee. And Leah just lives sadly ever after. The end.

I think I finally understand the cover art for this book. The white queen is clearly Queen Bella who gets everything she wants, and the red pawn is the reader, about to be destroyed by her and this book.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.