Review The Last Film You Saw ~ Thread 3

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Tinkerbell, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

"VALKYRIE" We just saw this, stunning and riveting, a true story of the attempt to assassinate Hitler, by Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, played by Tom Cruise magificent portrayal, he's still the cream of the crop:thumbsup: so beliveable, and still such a outstanding actor, and he also look's great. One felt they were in fact in Nazi Germany the cars the swastikas everywhere, Hitlers picture everywhere, scary time in history.You were indeed in Berlin, great graphics and special effects.. stunning!!! An all star cast with Kenneth Branagh a Major-General, and the one who stole the show besides Cruise was Tom Wilkinson as General Fromm, a two faced hypocrite, who went with whoever won this 'coup' he was fantastic.. a real nail biter, not one sound in the whole theater, complete quiet. I won't give away the ending, but I cried:( All together there were counting this attempt were 16 on this mad mans life, none succeeded, and at the end coward that he was committed suicide:evil:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

Vantage Point
    LULZ. It was so bad! I watched a sample video and it seemed interesting but when they repeated the storyline for the 4th time I was like OMG.STOP. There's no action in the entire movie. Same scenes, same people, same action. It's really boring. Well, some of you guys might like it anyway.

3. luf100

luf100 Coroner

We got The Dark Knight for Christmas, and we finally watched it the other night. I am not a superhero-movie fan at all, but I now realize why everyone loves this movie so much. It was really good. Especially Heath Ledger's performance of The Joker, he was so good. It had the right mix of action, and it was not predictable (at least not to me). I loved it, and I'm surprised about that. :lol: The only thing was, I think Aaron Eckhart would have been better as Batman than Christian Bale. My mom and I were both pretty surprised at the end with what happens to Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), and it wasn't really a good surprise.

4. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i've been watching a ton of movies, i got a whole bunch for Christmas. the last two movies i watched that i enjoyed to no end were two other Hitchcock movies called "Rebecca" and "Spellbound".

"Rebecca" was so awesome, the way it was filmed was so amazing. there was one scene where the husband is explaining to his new wife how his ex-wife (Rebecca) died and instead of putting an actress in the shot to have a visual Hitchcock paned the camera mimicking Rebecca's movements up to where the husband is standing where she died. it's hard to explain without seeing it but it was brilliant. the husband was explaining how evil the ex-wife was and the viewer could just picture it without seeing a person and i think that made the scene very powerful.

"Spellbound" was so good. Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck are in the movie. IB is a psychiatrist and GP is a man who poses as a doctor who he saw die and that brought him to the edge of crazy and he couldn't remember things. there's an awesome dream sequence done by Salvador Dali. since he was a surrealist painter the whole scene is done is the surrealist style. it was creepy but really cool.

i watch a lot of classic movies as everyone can tell. i love how some of them were filmed and acted.

5. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

VALKYRIE - which was absolutely amazing. as desert said it's based on the true story on Col. Claus von Stauffenberg and his attempt to assassinate Adolf Hitler. it's historically very accurate and if you're into the Nazi war history you'll love it i certainly did i thought it was amazing, all the online reviews are saying that Tom Cruise ruined a perfectly good movie, but i thought he made it so i guess it's where ever you stand..

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
    - oh. my. god. i am speechless about this movie...it was soo amazing that i don't even know how to express my feelings towards it. first off i cried consistently throughout the entire movie i almost wanted it to end cause i was crying so hard i could barely concentrate and longer, however my friend beside me only cried a little so depends on your strength towards movies :rolleyes: it's about a baby named Benjamin Button (obviously) he's abandoned at birth in a seniors home where the owners take care of him, but he's born with a type of disease nobody has ever seen before, he's born with the emotions, skills and brain power of a baby but his outsides are old, at least in their eighty's, he's almost blind, def, has arthritis and his skin has no elasticity, like and old person, the doctors say he'll die but he keeps on getting older while his body is growing younger. he starts off in a wheel chair then canes, then glasses, then reading glasses then he's perfectly young since he was 5 he'd known Daisy but he looked very old and she was young but they meet up in the middle of her growing up and his growing down when he's about 7 in body age but around 75(ish) in real age he gets pre-dementia and doesn't remember Daisy
    oh jesus, i could go on for another page but seriously, it's the best damn movie i think i've ever seen. ;)

6. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

That's funny- I just saw the same 2 movies as you, JorjaFoxFan. And I agree- they were both really good.

I wanted to see Valkyrie because I'm always really interested in the history around the world wars, but also because a) it had such an amazing cast all round; and b) Bryan Singer was directing. And I have to say I wasn't disappointed at all. In fact my only real regret was that Kenneth Branaugh had such a small part; he's always excellent in his roles.

I was really happy to see a couple German actors that I like in there too: Christian Berkel and Thomas Kretschman. (And if you enjoy WW2/Hitler movies, they were both in a fantastic German one called "The Downfall").

Poor Tom, he does take a beating doesn't he? But I didn't have a problem with him in this movie. I think the character had to exhibit a certain amount of intensity and, even as limited as Tom's performances are in general, he can do intensity just fine, so he really wasn't bad at all in this role.

In general, it was just such a great cast that you can't really complain. Overall I'd say it was more interesting than exciting for at least the first 2/3rds of the movie, but once the plan got underway it was pretty exciting.

I LOVED Benjamin Button. I could not take my eyes off the screen for the first half of the film. The story was amazing and I was honestly riveted. And then as it began to slow down a bit past the halfway mark, I was still enthralled. All the actors were superb, including Brad. (Cate is ALWAYS fantastic, so that was a given. :lol: ) And the make-up & effects... both the aging and the making people look younger was just amazing. It felt entirely real.

Cinematically, this film was beautiful as well. I'd say that if you love a great tale told with an amazingly grand filming style (but not overwhelming!) than you're really going to enjoy this movie. It's definitely worth a trip to the big screen.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  7. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

lol that's funny, they're two of the biggest "must-see's" both tom cruise and brad pitt looked mighty fine hahaah :p

8. Desertwind

I just went to see THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON OMG I didn't think any actor could top Tom Cruise's performance in VALKRYIE but Brad Pitt blew me away in this film for sure, his performace was extrodinary, engrossing and unbeliveable stupendous. The period in 1916 New Orelans awesome, the honky-tonk music of that day:thumbsup: the cars , the whole period of old New Orleans.. a movie goers dream.. not to give anything away and [btw it was 3 hrs and 45 minutes] but I savored every minute] His life was magnificent. And Cate Blanchett, trememdous as well, she's also fantastic..every one in this movie was fabulous. I highly recommend everyone go see this, and make sure to bring a lot of tissues:( I see OSCAR for Brad on this one, from "A River Runs Through It" "Seven Years In Tibet" "Legends Of The Fall" the "Oceans" movies, and another intense flick with him "The Assassination of Jesse James" he has gotten better and better, and now he's one of my favorites!!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  9. BabaOReilly

Er, not quite. It actually clocked in around two and a half hours. So yes, a bit long, but not THAT long. :lol:

It was an awesome film though, I agree. :)

10. Desertwind

Well it started here at 1:15 and ended at 3:45, so like 2 hrs and 45, whatever, we were talking, but I looked at my watch when it started and when it ended so I guess my first post I made a typo:confused: anyway the crux of the post was how fabulous it was:)sadness, happiness, joy disbelief, every emotion one can imagine you hoped this movie would never end!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  11. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Yeah, it was around 2 hours and 47 minutes.

My Review, courtesy of Movies We Paid to See
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button may seem like a mixture of The Notebook meets Big Fish, but this movie directed by David Fincher, and adapted from the book by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is a tale all of its own.

Clocking in around 2 hours and 47 minutes, Button tells the story of Benjamin (Brad Pitt), a man who is born old and ages backwards. Born a fragile, old man, he dies a small infant. While aging backwards, Benjamin meets a young girl named Daisy whose feelings for Benjamin are more than apparent. Later in his life, he finds an older Daisy (played by the beautiful and stunning Cate Blanchett) and they romantically get involved.

This movie is curious indeed--and in the good way. The film leaves you wondering about so many things such as 'how did this happen?' or 'this would never occur in real life.' But worrying about such things takes away from the movie's magic. Instead, you should focus on the glory of the magic of the great performances of Pitt, Blanchett, Tilda Swinton, and Taraji P. Henson. All deliver Oscar worthy performances and leave a Wow-factor. Henson, playing Queenie, cares for Benjamin like a mother and comes off truly believable as one would during the time period. It isn't until Benjamin leaves for Russia where he meets Swinton's character and they begin an affair. This may be Swinton's best work.

For a movie as long as it is, one will not find themselves looking at their watch, at least not in the two times I saw it. You will simply want to see this movie on life, romance and death again and again. Pay to see it? Yes. Should you see it again? You'll enjoy it even more if you do. Just don't forget the Kleenex.

12. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

I just saw Twilight after having devoured the book.

I'm of a mixed mind on this. I thought the acting was a bit over the top, and the chemistry between Edward and Isabella wasn't...well, it wasn't as powerful as I thought it should be.

Edward wasn't what I would have thought from reading the book but halfway through I 'got' it and fell in love with him. Yowza! He was intense and otherworldly.

Bella...maybe I just didn't like the actress playing her. Her lines felt stiff, like she was always thinking about how she was delivering them. She just didn't feel natural to me.

The Cullen family also weren't what I was expecting, especially Alice, but I suppose it would have been a hard casting job anyway!

The sunlight scene was disappointing...somehow in my mind I'd imagined it much much different. Also, I was disappointed they didn't have the 'twilight' moment as I felt it was a part of Edwards character from the book that would have been nice to see in the movie.

All in all, the book was much better, but the movie on its own was pretty good. I'd see it again for Edward and the scenery, which reminded me of home.

Now I'm off to read the second book in the series!

13. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

I saw Twilight around Christmas, forgot about this thread :)
    I watched it out of curiosity, didn’t know any of the books then (now I’m after all four, and all possible extras and drafts I found on Stephanie’s site:lol:)

I’ve always had a thing about vampires so I quite enjoyed the movie :) It was pretty predictable though, and now I see that not knowing the book may be a problem sometimes – because the timeline was completely mangled, seemed like they went from hating to loving in max 3 days :confused: Obviously I didn’t get that mind-reading and super-hearing thing till it was explained but I guess they couldn’t just say that at the beginning :lol:

I didn’t mind the leads but other characters were IMO more interesting – I think Carlisle and Alice were the best. Wish more info was given about their background but it’d have taken too long I guess.

I loved the music and the baseball scene, also 'cooking with the Cullens' was great :lol: – there should have been more of such ‘group’ interaction in the movie.

14. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

Yes Man -I saw Yes Man and it was pretty funny. I'm not a fan of Jim Carrey, but he kept me laughing the whole time. I would say GO SEE IT!

The Unborn - By far, one of the worst movies of the year. I figured with all the promos it would be good. Plus, it was directed by Michael Bay, who took part in The Dark Knight. But it was horrible. It was 87 minutes so it was pretty short, which ends the pain quickly. If you like horrible, poorly acted, horror movies then The Unborn is your kind of movie!

15. BabaOReilly

^^^ Hah, I was just coming on to say the same thing about The Unborn. Absolute crap. Lame script, tedious storyline, poor acting in general... people were actually laughing at stuff that was supposed to be creepy. For an 87 minute movie, it felt like it would never end. Pfffft. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.