Baseball #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Sep 4, 2008.

1. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

So the Phillies won.

As much as I kind of wanted the Rays to win ( I have family in Tampa) I'm still satisfied. The Phillies played a good game, and they worked hard.
    So, hat's off to them.
    Congrats to the Rays too, for actually making it to the World Series when practically no one thought that they would ever get remotely close. My aunt always said that once they took the "Devil" out of the "Devil Rays" the team would do great things, I guess she was right. Who knew?

Congratulations to both the Phillies and the Rays for working hard and fighting to the end. :thumbsup:
    Time to get ready for next season! Maybe my Mets will actually do something next time....

2. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

Please excuse me for a minute.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Phillies win Phillies win!!!!!

I am SO excited to go to the parade and just flip the hell out. I didn't get to see the game because I was at work, but me and my manager sat in the break room and watched the last up at bat for the Rays. It was pretty awesome to watch them win the game, it's been so long for Philly, and it's sooooooo sweet that it's my home team!!! You should have seen my town, there were fireworks, you can hear the riot from Philly and see the smoke. People were beeping all over the place and banging pots and pans and screaming. I'm betting on half of my classes being cancelled due to the celebrations. My psych teacher already told us that if we won tonight that the test would be moved to monday. I could care less, I'm still going to the parade!!!!

3. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Remember the discussion on how some fans can give others a bad rap by their actions? Here is a good example of being over zealous. HARRASSING THE RAYS
    BTW no I don't think this is the reason the Rays lost, but rather as I said before the quote this is just another example of making the real fans look bad when they aren't.

4. ThumpyG42

ThumpyG42 ~Nocturnal Jenn~ Premium Member

*shakes head* It's a shame that some people feel they need to act like that.

Anyway, on to happier things: Congratulations to the Phillies, 2008 World Series Champions! :D Yay!

5. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

WOOOOOOoooo! My nutrition class was just cancelled on Friday in spirit of the Phillies. This is the most amazing thing ever! I have no doubt that Psych will be cancelled too, so I won't have to miss class!!!!

6. Exit 8A

Exit 8A Pathologist

I work with a lot of Met fans, so tomorrow is going to be a really rough day at work, as their season is now a complete failure, with their closest rivals winning it all.

Congratulations to the Phillies on winning the World Series. Although I don't like the teams based in Philly, the Phillies are the ones I hate the least. I just hope I don't ever have to witness the Eagles winning the Super Bowl. I would rather be shot, stabbed, tased, impaled and probed in every orifice all at the same time than have to witness that (and that is keeping it somewhat PG).

7. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Congrats to the Phillies on a job well done :) and congrats to the Rays for their season and a job well done as well. You don't get to the World Series by being a bad team. They're young and will have plenty more opportunities :)

Jess enjoy your parade :)

Congrats Phillies on being 2008 World Series Champs :)

8. Destiny

9. Destiny

Jay fans you tell me from your prospective good or bad?
    A.J. Burnett tells Blue Jays he’ll opt out of deal <SNIP> "A.J. Burnett told the Toronto Blue Jays on Tuesday that he will opt out of the remaining two seasons of his $55 million, five-year contract. The pitcher will forfeit $24 million and can file for free agency. His contract called for a $6 million signing bonus, a $1 million salary in 2006 and $12 million in the remaining seasons. Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi said talks will continue on the possibility of a new deal for the hard-throwing right-hander, who turns 32 in January."

There is more at the link provided.

10. Jacquie

Destiny I don't know whether it's good or bad. If it's a matter of getting rid of a bad attitude then I say good riddance. If it's a matter of wanting more money for a so-so pitcher then I say good riddance. I know that Burnett pitched fairly well in his last few months with the Jays but over all he wasn't that good. I personally don't like players that sign a contract and then aren't happy with the money they get. I just think the ball players are getting paid too much anyways. So that is my opinion on Burnett :)

11. ThumpyG42

Jacquie, is Burnett injury prone too, or am I confusing him with someone else?

I'd like to say congrats to Boston's Dustin Pedroia (2B) for winning his first Gold Glove.

Other American League players to win Gold Gloves are:

P-Mike Mussina, NYY (7th Gold Glove)
    C-Joe Mauer, MIN (1st time Gold Glove winner)
    1B-Carlos Pena, TB (1st time Gold Glove winner)
    3B-Adrian Beltre, SEA (2nd straight Gold Glove)
    SS-Michael Young, TEX (1st time Gold Glove winner)
    OF-Torii Hunter-LAA (8th straight Gold Glove)
    OF-Grady Sizemore-CLE (2nd Gold Glove)
    OF-Ichiro Suzuki, SEA (8th straight Gold Glove)

National League Gold Glove winners:

P-Greg Maddux, LAD (18th Gold Glove)
    C-Yadier Molina, STL (1st time Gold Glove winner)
    1B-Adrian Gonzalez, SD (1st time Gold Glove winner)
    2B-Brandon Phillips, CIN (1st time Gold Glove winner)
    3B-David Wright, NYM (2nd Gold Glove)
    SS-Jimmy Rollins, PHI (2nd Gold Glove)
    OF-Carlos Beltran, NYM (3rd straight Gold Glove)
    OF-Nate McLouth, PIT (1st time Gold Glove winner)
    OF-Shane Victorino, PHI (1st time Gold Glove winner)

Congrats to everyone who received a Gold Glove. :thumbsup:

12. Jacquie

Yes Thumpy, Burnett is injury prone. His first year in Toronto he started the season on the DL :scream: so someone else can have his injuries and attitude.

Also thanks for posting the Gold Glove winners. It's good to see Greg Maddux is still winning them :) He's a good pitcher.

13. ThumpyG42

Thanks Jacquie, I thought so. I know his name has popped up in a few places as someone the Red Sox may be interested in, so I've researched him a bit.

That and the fact that he's from Arkansas. It may sound silly, but I tend to keep an eye on players from Arkansas no matter what team they're on. So people like him, Cliff Lee, Pat Burrell and Torii Hunter (even though I'm not that fond of him) to name a few, tend to be on my radar. [/end dorkiness]

You're welcome re posting the GG winners. And I agree about Greg Maddux.

14. Jacquie

The Rookie of the Year awards were handed out yesterday. In the American League Evan Longoria of Tampa Bay won. In the National League Geovanny Soto of Chicago won. Congrats to both players.

15. Destiny

Time Lincecum Wins NL Cy Young Award

Geez at this rate were going to need to keep the awards in one post to be added to. How about I collect what has been done so far put them in one post and when we learn something new quote the post and add to it, all we do is quote the awards and names portion?

Also Herb Scores the Cleveland Indians pitcher and former broadcaster whose promise on the mound was shattered by a line drive, died Tuesday. He was 75.

He played with the Cleveland Indians from 1955-59 & the Chicago White Sox from 1960-62.

Not long after ending his playing career, Score began a second one in baseball when he joined the Indians' TV broadcast team in 1964. He moved to radio in 1968.

A native of Rosedale, N.Y., his deep voice and thick New York accent became a fixture for generations of Indians fans. He retired from broadcasting after the 1997 season, his 34th in the booth.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008