Baseball #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

It was my pleasure to help out. ;)

Okay Indians news remember they got rid of their bullpen coach? They hired a replacement. Tribe names Hernandez bullpen coach - Spent past three seasons as pitching coach in Detroit.

2. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

Can't believe I missed this thread. And thank your for posting the awards. The Rangers aren't all bad... XD

3. Destiny

I put this in the RIP Thread in GM&TV as well.

Former major leaguer Tom Burgess dies at 82
    Nov 27, 2008

LAMBETH, Ontario (AP)—Tom Burgess, who played briefly in the major leagues before serving as a coach under Joe Torre and Bobby Cox, has died. He was 81.

A member of the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame, Burgess died Monday at his Lambeth home after a battle with cancer, Baseball Canada said.

Burgess spent most of his professional playing career in the minors but had two short stints in the big leagues as an outfielder and first baseman. He went 1-for-21 (.048) at the plate with the 1954 St. Louis Cardinals and didn’t get back to the majors until eight years later, when he batted .196 with two homers and 13 RBIs for the 1962 Los Angeles Angels.

After his playing career ended, Burgess managed at many levels for St. Louis, Atlanta, the New York Mets, Texas and Detroit. He was third base coach for the Mets under Joe Frazier and Torre in 1977 and for Atlanta under Cox in 1978.

Burgess also coached and managed for Baseball Canada and Baseball Ontario.

“Tom could not give enough back to baseball,” Tom Valcke, president of the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, said in a phone interview Thursday. “He would teach anyone, anytime, everything he knew, as long as they wanted to learn and to work.”

As well as the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame, Burgess also is a member of the London, Ontario, sports Hall of Fame and the Rochester Red Wings Hall of Fame.

4. Destiny

5. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Reports in today's paper and on MLB.com say that Greg Maddux will announce Monday that he's retiring. Maddux pitched last year for the Padres and the Dodgers. His overall stats are 355-227 with a 3.16 ERA. He's likely to be a first round ballot win when he becomes eligible for the Hall of Fame in 5 years.

Maddux expected to retire Monday

6. Destiny

Indians set to sign Kerry Wood (of the Chicago Cubs) as their closer, all he has to do is pass the physical and sign the papers. Wood went 5-4 with a 3.26 ERA and 34 saves in 40 chances over 65 appearances for the Cubs last season, striking out 84 batters and walking 18 in 66 1/3 innings.

In a 3 team 12 player trade the following will happen...
    The Indians received right-hander Joe Smith from the Mets and infielder Luis Valbuena from the Mariners.
    The Mets received outfielder Jeremy Reed and right-hander Sean Green from Seattle.
    The Mariners received outfielder Franklin Gutierrez from the Indians and, from the Mets, right-hander Aaron Heilman, center fielder Endy Chavez and four Minor Leaguers -- first baseman Mike Carp, right-hander Maikel Cleto, left-hander Jason Vargas and center fielder Ezekiel Carrera.

CC Sabathia will be joining the starting pitching with a new team, that team? The New York Yankee's who gave him a 7 yr, 161 million dollar contract. :eek: <-- Is for the money and :wtf: <-- is for the yankees? and this :rolleyes: is for both.

Casey Blake has signed a 3 yr. 17.5 million dollar contract with the LA Dodgers. The Tribe wasn't comfortable with three years, Casey turned down the twins because they wouldn't give three years, these two teams were going based IMO on his age he is currently 35 yrs old, though his health seems to be good who knows.

7. Jacquie

I don't care how good a pitcher he may be. Nobody is worth that much money. I think in light of the economic side of things the teams and players should set an example and not be so greedy.

8. Destiny

Trust me he is good but I agree not that good, while he might have been okay for the Brewers, when it came to the post season and Cleveland forget it on both his outtings he sucked. Don't get me wrong he had his good days when he was awesome, but the BS like alot of athletes of its about my family (wife, kids & Mom), its about my comfort zone (wanting to be near home), its about playing (hitting and pitching) but its not about the money. :wtf: Umm turns out it was 99.9% about money and the rest about the other apparently.

I still think there should be a salary cap in baseball, this is getting out of hand I mean give me a break, apparently they haven't figured out that while money can buy cars, and houses, they can't buy happiness at least the real kind. :(

9. Jacquie

Well there is more reason to dislike the New York Yankees. They've signed AJ Burnett to a 5 year contract worth $82.5m :eek: I don't think he's worth it and like I said yesterday nobody is worth that much money :scream:

AJ Burnett signs with Yankees

10. Destiny

:lol: Heck if our new closer passes his physical he gets 20 mil for two years with a third year option. I think the only one on the Tribe team that makes the most is Hafner he will make $11.5 million a year in 2009 and 2010. He'll make $13 million a year in 2011 and 2012 as part of the six-year, $65 million contract he signed in 2007. But at the time he was considered a hot DH, the only upside to this is he married a cleveland Native and made cleveland his perm home. But Last season, Hafner hit .197 with five homers and 24 RBI's and spent most of the season on the disabled list with right shoulder, which he had surgically repaired.

The Plain dealer here in Ohio did a write up on CC Titled: A playoff payoff? Yankees making a risky bet by counting on new 'ace' Sabathia

EDIT TO ADD: It is official Kerry Wood passed his physical, and signed his contract, the Indians have a veteran closer.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  11. Destiny

Speaking of the pay in baseball check out this article its everything we have been saying and more I am snipping part of the article but everyone should read this because it is really blunt, honest and to the point of what we all are or should be thinking about.

Baseball Salaries Should Outrage, But Don't <SNIP>
    "Even at a time when banks are collapsing and the amount spent in bailouts is unfathomable, what the Yankees did in the space of a few days is staggering. First came the biggest contract ever for a pitcher, $161 million for CC Sabathia, followed soon after by $82.5 million for A.J. Burnett. - One left-handed arm. One righty. Total cost $243.5 million, or just a few million short of a quarter-billion dollars.

In ordinary times we might simply shrug, declare that’s the cost of doing business in baseball, and look at next season’s schedule to see if tickets might be available when Sabathia pitches. That’s pretty much the way fans have reacted every year even as salaries rise to unimaginable levels. - But these aren’t ordinary times. The nation’s unemployment rate is headed toward double digits, those who still have jobs are worried they’ll lose them, and one out of every 10 U.S. homeowners are either late with their payments or have a house in foreclosure. - Yet Sabathia will make some $700,000 every time he takes the mound just because he was born with a talented left arm. Burnett will get a half-million for each of his starts just because he can throw a fastball in the mid-90s.

Those kind of numbers are troubling when things are good, obscene when they’re bad. Right now things are very bad, and we should be as outraged with the salaries as we are with the bank executives who gambled away billions like drunk sailors or the managers who ran the U.S. auto industry into the ground. - What does it say about our country when millions of children don’t have even basic health care and schools don’t have enough teachers, but grown men who play a game for a living make more money in one day than some of us will in our entire lives?"

12. Destiny

Baseball is taking this week to release "TYIB: This Year In Baseball" as soon as they are done (as they are going so many per day) I will put up the winners.

Former Astro Dave Smith has died
    Dave Smith, an Astros reliever from 1980-90 and a member of all three Houston playoff teams in the 1980s, died Wednesday of a heart attack. He was 53.

13. Destiny

Here they are, the winners in the Major League TYIB (This Year In Baseball) Awards.

Hitter: Albert Pujols (Cards)
    Rookie: Evan Longoria (Rays)
    Oddity: Johnny Damon (Yankees)
    Play: Gabe Kapler (Brewers)
    Defense: Orlando Cabrera (White Sox)
    Manager: Charlie Manuel (Phillies)
    Executive: Pat Gillick (Phillies)
    Starter: Tim Lincecum (Giants)
    Closer: Brad Lidge (Phillies)
    Setup: Hong-Chih Kuo (Dodgers)
    Performance: Jon Lester (Bos)
    Moment: Derek Jeter (Yankees)
    Postseason Moment: Chase Utley (Phillies)

TYIB Main Page for those who want to see the other nominees or the winners and what they did to win this award.

For the Minor League TYIB Awards the winners are:

Hitter Of The Year: Roberto Lopez - Orem owls (LAA)
    Starter Of The Year: Madison Bumgarner - Augusta Green Jackets (SF)
    Reliever Of The Year: Robert Manuel - Chattanooga Lookouts (CIN)
    Single Game Performance: David Frances - Danville Braves (ATL)
    Team Of The Year: Trenton Thunder - New York Yankees Double A

14. Destiny

Now this is irony Yanks have to pay luxury tax <SNIP>
    The New York Yankees not only failed to make the playoffs, they were hit with their highest luxury tax in three years. The Yankees were assessed a $26.9 million tax by the commissioner’s office on Monday, up from $23.9 million last year and their biggest bill since paying nearly $34 million for 2005.

For those wondering what is luxury tax?
    A tax placed on products or services that are deemed to be unnecessary or non-essential. This type of tax is an indirect tax in that the tax increases the price of the good or service and is only incurred by those who purchase or use the product.
    The term has remained even though many of the products that are assessed with luxury taxes today are no longer seen as "luxuries" in the literal sense. Today's definition leans more toward "sinful" items, such as tobacco, alcohol, jewelry and high-end automobiles. They are implemented as much in an attempt to change consumption patterns as to collect tax revenues.
    Luxury taxes can also be called "excise taxes" or "sin taxes".

15. Jacquie

Yup I saw that as well this morning Destiny. I had myself a right good chuckle :) even more when you consider the Yankees didn't make the playoffs :D