Unhappy Lindsay Fans over Kristine Huntley reviews harsh words.

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by ilovedanny2, May 9, 2008.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I'm always late to the party. *woe*

I agree with the people here on all sides of the issue that have debated their points maturely. Lashing out at a reviewer for reviewing, demanding that said reviewer say things she doesn't believe just to appease you, trying to start a war with another board--those things are not mature.

I agree with pretty much everything Kristine says in her reviews, but if I didn't--she's still going to write them. I have the option of reading them or choosing not to.

Yes, exactly.

sarramaks--*GASP!* SHE LIVES! :D I haven't seen you in ages.

Exactly. :)

2. Lorelai

Lorelai CSI Level One

The upside of this tread : people are delurking ( that a word? ) and I'm LMAO!

Heart u! And Fay's Drama Llama. :lol: :guffaw:

[​IMG]

3. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

Wow, I'm a little sad to make to this party so late. :( The first thought that sprang to mind when I saw this thread was, "Is this a f***ing joke?"

Who actually starts a thread to criticize a professional review? People who have intelligent, well-thought differences of opinion with Kristine's reviews should state those counter-points in the review comments.

If people take these reviews so personally that they're unable to simply articulate their differing opinion in the review comments, then they should stop reading them. It's really that simple.

Kristine's reviews are not in any way to be viewed as personal attacks on Anna and certainly not on any of her fans. They are nothing more than a professional evaluation of the work - both in the crafting of the character by the writers and the portrayal by the actress. There is nothing remotely personal about this process.

Further, a professional review is nothing more than the informed opinion of one person. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and it's natural that some will reach conclusions that are different than those drawn by Kristine. If anyone finds her reviews consistently off-base in their opinion, they should simply stop reading them. For example, if I thought Robert Ebert gave two-thumbs up to crappy movies, I'd simply regard his opinions as being too different from mine to be helpful to me.

Now for the less constructive portion of my opinion on this: Why don't those with an irrational investment of personal time and energy devoted to the character of Lindsay and the actress who plays her simply write their own reviews and post them somewhere? Kristine is the reviewer for this site, but perhaps other sites might be interested in reviews that deem "analysis" along the lines of "Danny and Lindsay are 'meant to be together'" and "I love Anna because she's soooo prettttty" to be credible reviews worth publishing. Attacking Kristine's reviews does not further your cause. If you want your opinion heard, write your own *unbiased* reviews and find an outlet for them. For the love of God, just stop your damn wanking about Kristine. It's really not her fault if your favorite actress turns in uneven performances while portraying a poorly crafted character.

4. althea

althea Lab Technician

Amen to that girl!:thumbsup:

That's why I love coming here there is actual conversation going on debating things discussing episodes sharing our thoughts. And Kristine is doing an amazing job I always get to see the show very delayed not being in the states and all and reading Kristine's reviews is a highlight for me knowing what I have to look forward. I might not agree with some things she's written but that's her opinion and I respect that she's being honest and writing exactly what she's feeling. I wouldn't want to read her reviews if she was going out and lying and just telling people what they want to hear. That everything is just hunky dory.:p

5. Lola86

Lola86 Victim

I thought I would de-lurke in order to post my opinion on this topic because my fingers were itching to type.

Firstly, I agree that ilovedanny2 needs to lose the attitude. Personally I like Danny and Lindsay together and I think some of your ideas are nice and I definitely do not dislike you but sometimes the attitude you take can be embarassing and a little immature which gives people more ammunition when they disagree with you and makes them much more likely to dismiss you.

Secondly, I agree that the reviews are the opinion of the reviewer and I try to respect other peoples opinions and if it turns out I dislike them that much I stop reading. However, I do think that a disproportionate amount of time in the reviews are spent critisising Anna/Lindsay and that sometimes the reviewer is a bit harsh. Therefore I would think it would be nice if the reviews were to be toned down slightly but I would never expect anyone to change their opinion or try and suppress their right to share their thoughts and feelings.

It's good to get that off my chest.

6. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

Thats exactly what i thought when i read the title, but i thought i'll keep that thought to myself and sniggered to myself in the garden.

And "boycotting" seriously?? Kind of doubt that would do much.

My advice would be if you don't like it don't read it which isn't that hard to do i mean its a simple as setting your favourites page to load the forum instead of the homepage.

7. Caprian

Caprian Hit and Run

Ooookay... I know I'm kinda new here as a registered person but I follow your comments and Kristine's reviews since a year so maybe I am "allowed" to share my opinion...

When I first saw your thread it was as fresh as no one replied yet. And I was OMG WTF? :wtf: :eek: :confused:

As I see your aim with this thread was to scold Kristine together with other people who likes Lindsay's character. The strange thing is NO ONE is on your side... :rolleyes: Do you know why? 'Cause it's clear for most of us that you don't wanna "defend Lindsay" or point out Lindsay's good qualities (yeah, I know you mentioned her smartness, cuteness BUT please!) because if you really wanted to these things you'd written your opinion at the suitable place (Anna/Lindsay #5: She rocks!). You are about to say rude things about Kristine... about the moderator!!!

Hell! You cannot be that idiot... gosh! :wtf: :guffaw: :eek:

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  8. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

Correction, the administrator, and I personally love her reviews, and yeah, I always disagreed with them too but it's her interpretation of what happened and how the actors/actresses are doing. If you don't like it then don't read it, this is a forum, and we have the right to share our opinions here.

If you don't like the reviews, don't read them, it's as simple as that, no need to cause confrontation and make anyone feel bad about it, am I right?

9. Caprian

Caprian Hit and Run

Oh, yes. Thank you. :)
    I apologise to Kristine. Sorry. :D

10. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

Exactly. The art of a good debate is to try and see the other person's point of view and attempt to intelligently counteract it with your own. As much as I don't always agree with Kristine's (and others') opinions of Lindsay/Anna I appreciate where they're coming from. Starting a thread like this just feeds into the idea that most D/L fans are deluded 'teeny boppers' (or something like that) :lol: - which I'm not btw (at least not the 'teeny bopper' part).:rolleyes:

I think that's a fair point but the culture of this board is such that people feel able to be so outspoken in their views. I don't think that's a bad thing. When I first started lurking here I was quite surprised at how vicarious people were (the only other boards I'd visited had been very polite and - to be honest - a little boring) so this was a bit of a culture shock. I actually love it though. I do get the sense that some people are put off by the level of conviction of some posters which is a shame.

I think there is a very clear divide over the character of Lindsay and her portrayal that could be better debated than it is at the moment. I often find myself agreeing with the basis of how an opposing opinion is formed if not the opinion itself e.g. that Lindsay IS a little emotionally immature but that it's a believable flaw considering her history as opposed to the view that she's self involved/poorly portrayed/badly written etc.

I wonder how people become so personally offended by someone's opinion of a fictional character. :confused:

11. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

All I have to say is... wow. ilovedanny2 I suppose we should thank you for getting all of these people to de-lurk! Sarramaks! Where ya been???

I have nothing to add since everyone else, with two obvious exceptions, has said it so eloquently, almost as though you were living in my head! Jeez, my 3-month old child has more maturity than the intent of this thread!

12. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

When people start taking fandom way too f**king seriously. A perennial fandom problem...

Half the time the problem isn't even the root of the offence, it's just that after a while people dogpile because they want to be seen being offended. Which is when the real problems start...

13. Lola86

Lola86 Victim

I just think that sometimes the opinions are a little harsh and full-on and generally all the negativity is directed at Lindsay/Anna. I think when people post a negative comment about, for example, Danny/Carmine, it is often suppressed very swiftly as he is a definite favourite on this board. As for the reason I am sticking up for Lindsay/Anna here is not that I am offended but more that I think the slant towards the criticism of both is a little unfair (and the British in me likes to root for the underdog ;)). Maybe I am more sensitive to the issue because I am not used to people being quite so outspoken and I also like things to be fair (as my future boss told me based on my personality questionaire).

ETA: I hope that I have been eloquent and articulate in expressing my view, I have not studied english in a while and I think it's gone to pott slightly

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

The fact that people may not post as much criticism about other characters as they do Linsday has nothing to do with any comments being "suppressed." If the people who don't like Danny, for example, stop posting about why they don't like Danny it's not anyone else's fault. If people are upset that the other characters aren't criticized enough, they have every right to post criticisms of the other characters. The fact that they choose not to doesn't mean the board is unfairly slanted one way or another.

I also don't see how criticizing Lindsay or Anna's performance is not "fair." It wouldn't be "fair" if that were the only opinion allowed, but that is obviously not the case.

15. Lola86

Lola86 Victim

I must admit that I have the opposite view. I don't feel it's the criticism that's unfair but rather the amount of criticism. The reason I feel that the amount of comments about Lindsay and Anna are unfair is mainly because I stick by my feeling that other opinions are "suppressed". From what I have seen of this forum, a negative remark about someone else gets swiftly pounced upon and I believe that this is the reason that anyone that gives that kind of opinion stops posting it. I may of course be totally incorrect in saying that, but I do believe it is true that a lot of people who are disagreed with to the extent that they are will not be bothered to argue their opinion beyond a certain point.