Why Lindsay Must Go (Part 3)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

The "I ROCK" scene was cringeworthy. :p

2. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

:lol: I must agree. That was a scene that actually made me cover my eyes and grimace. Either that or it was making a D: face and yelling, "What the hell was that?!" It was just that bad to me. What brought the funny to it was Stella's face as she hesitantly walked into view. I think she was wondering what the hell Lindsay had been doing too. :lol:

I also saw Medical Investigation before CSI:NY. She had a minor role in it and if I remember right, there was an episode where her character was involved with the rest of the team in caring for some disaster victims. I'll just say, even then, she wasn't good with children. I guess that's why when I watched the episode Boo, I thought it was amusing Lindsay would turn out to be not good with kids either.

That says it all, really.

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Touche--I had forgotten the "I rock!" scene. That was pretty bad. But what I meant by cringe-worthy was both the acting (which, only Adam could make the "I rock!" thing cute) and the character. I found her totally and completely contemptible in the third season--blowing off work and basically treating Danny badly. But this season she has been lighter and hasn't done anything horrid or unprofessional.

She was a regular cast member in MI. I've only seen about 6 eps--I intend to get around to the rest someday, as the show was decent--but she was nowhere near as bad in MI as she has been in NY.

4. MichelleK

MichelleK Pathologist

I am a little confused as to why Anna would admit her NY audition sucked. She got the job somehow so it's one of those facts that she could have kept to her herself.
    Unless it the whole I sucked and still got the job - how good am I?

I agree she hasn't had many cringey scenes this season but when she does they are really bad.
    I am not looking forward to all the later scenes with angsty Danny as we know Anna isn't the best at pulling off emotion.

5. Top41

Maybe just being honest or modest...who knows? She mentioned she asked Hill to put in a good word for her.

Well, hopefully it will mostly be Danny angsting and her just reacting. But yeah, the fact that she's probably going to have to do dramatic scenes at some point in the future doesn't bode well.

6. MichelleK

MichelleK Pathologist

I just feel sorry for Hill - did he put in a good work because she sucked that much or he was under the impression she has potential.

It's just a shame because any other actress and CSI:NY could have become a completely different show.
    I think the writers have realised she isn't good at drama and emotion because she has had zero storylines since the court case and the big reveal of her past.

7. Top41

This is something we'll never know, but I do wonder if--and suspect--the character of Lindsay would have been better received if another actress had been playing her. Someone with warmth and more depth to her performance could have brought more to the table I think.

8. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I think I'm almost certain that if Lindsay had been played by another actress, she'd have been a much more likeable and better character. For one, Anna Belknap can't pull off the emotional scenes that Lindsay had in any of the seasons, and even she mentions that she had messed up her audition-if a better actress had taken the part, I don't think those scenes could have been done any worse than they have been.

In addition to this, Anna's being pregnant forced the writers to hurry along Lindsay's deep dark secret (or create it entirely) to cover up her leaving. I have a feeling that if they hadn't had to rush that storyline or create it to cover Anna's leave, it wouldn't have been so terrible. (along with the fact that Anna Belknap didn't perform well in those episodes, either). Of course any actress could have gotten pregnant on the job, and i'm not holding that against Anna, but even before she left for her leave and after she returned she wasn't much to work with.

9. MichelleK

MichelleK Pathologist

Yeah I agree the main reason I don't like the character of Lindsay is that she isn't likeable and I still don't know anything about the character. Apart from her being from Montana (duh) and she survived the horrific murder of her friends.
    If they had explored more about why she doesn't deal well with mothers and why she survived and why she left Montana then maybe I could feel more toward the character.

10. macpeyfan

macpeyfan Witness

My girls were watching Mr. Magorium's Magic Emporium - I was mostly listening and looking at the screen once in a while- there is a scene when the camera is focused on Dustin Hoffmans face - something is said about going away. I happened to look up for that scene. When the camera is first on his face, he has just a normal, goofy man expression (fits the movie perfectly). When the line about going away is delivered, the camera is still tight on his face and with just a change in his lips and his eyes, you realize that he's going to die and he's resigned but sad.

And, pathetic me, one of my first thoughts was that Wow, if only Anna Belknap could do that, Lindsay would be an ok character. But then I thought , " Yeah, but it's Dustin Hoffman, not many people can do what he does."

11. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

Hi, thought I drop by here because Lindsey was the reason I stopped watching NY after the first season. I just recently started watching NY again (I became interested in Danny/Flack) and so I thought I'll try it.
    I must admit, I loved Aiden, still do very much, and when I heard she left, I just stopped watching.
    I watched S2 and was intent on hating Lindsey but then I kinda liked her, she was cute, came off as tough - at least in some episodes - but then the whole D/L thing started and I just didn't buy it. And then there was of course this inconsistency of her character, like you pointed out, one episode she happy, the next she's depressed and I never knew why.
    And it's true AB really can't get emotional, I just can't "feel" Lindsey when she's sad, and that's a pity 'cause I think they really could have done more with that storyline from her childhood.
    Another thing that really bothered me, and still does, TPTB were so intend on making the viewers like Lindsey, like they didn't want to give us time to get to know her but instead decided that we must love her from the beginning. Why else was Danny teasing her from the start and why else were Mac and Stella always implying that she would fit in so well, that she was good and so on? I loved Danny and Aiden, not as a couple but as buddies, they had such great chemistry. Lindsey was never really an outsider or the new girl, she was liked from the start and that's the problem, I think.
    And then around mid S2 she was suddenly not competent enough anymore? Excuse me, wtf? First Mac chose here and then she's the "kiddo"? That still annoys me!

I don't know, if it's AB's acting or just the poor writing that makes me dislike Lindsey. Well, I guess it's the writing 'cause I liked her for a few episodes.

12. Top41

macpeyfan, that's a good point. I mean, no one can be Dustin Hoffman, but come on...actors are supposed to be able to communicate how they're feeling non-verbally. The other actors on the show can, but Anna can't. There was discussion about the scene with the shotgun in "All in the Family," but really, you couldn't tell what she was feeling. I didn't get any connection from her performance between Lindsay having to fire the shotgun was bringing back memories of her dead friends. There just isn't that depth to her portrayal.

That bugged me, too. She was set up to be Little Miss Perfect Mary Sue, and that just grated. On Miami Ryan really had to prove himself, and I think she should have had to more, too. And it wasn't even a matter of proving herself--everyone thought she was awesome sauce (I think I stole that from Fay :lol: ) from day one. And that's just not realistic.

I think initially there weren't that many acting challenges for the character. It wasn't until she had to get brooding and emotional that she really became hard to watch. But the writers didn't help her out any by giving her some repugnant lines to deliver and by having her act like a twit sometimes.

13. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

I'm sick and tired of the "dark secret". I am so very grateful that in All in the Family when she had to test fire the gun she didn't have any problem with it. If she remembered the dark secret I would have changed the channel. I just can't anymore. I am happy that she didn't emote anything in that scene and that she was just a CSI doing her job. I've said it before, I didn't like her from the start..from Zoo York. I smelled something fishy with her character from the moment Danny tried to make fun of her or whatever that was plus all the Montana references and the "country girl" line. I'm sorry, but no! I accept season 4 Lindsay when she is just there. One more thing I hate about Lindsay is when she has those horrible one-liners that are just nasty. Everyone has them, but with her... they're just scary.

14. privatename

privatename Rookie

The thing that further bugs me about it is that even after all this time when she has done many things that I perceive to be self-centered or rude or generally treating her supposed friends with disregard for their feelings, everyone still acts like they think she is "awesome sauce." That is just too unrealistic. If anyone I worked with acted the way she has at times, I would have gotten pretty fed up with her by now.

15. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I agree with you there. If Lindsay has one consistent character trait, its being self centered. In my psychology class, we learned about personality disorders, and one that reminded me strongly of Lindsay was histrionic personality disorder. Women with Histrionic personality disorder are described as self-centered, self-indulgent, and intensely dependent on others. They are emotionally labile and cling to others in the context of immature relationships. (from wikipedia)

If that was the writer's point when they wrote Lindsay's character, if they actually wrote the character to be that way, then i wouldn't see as much of a problem with her all over the place character. The thing is, we are supposed to love her character from the get go, with her being the country girl from Montana(!!!) in the big city. Like someone mentioned further up in the thread, we were never given a chance to choose whether or not we would like her character. Even now, the writers are shoving her down our throats, not so much this season as in season three, but nevertheless they have done it.

When Speedle died on Miami, they brought in another CSI to take his place. Ryan had to prove that he belonged, and he didn't immeadiatly gel with everyone on the team, and if i remember correctly he clashed with Delko (?) quite a few times. Lindsay, however, was brought in and everyone on the team LOVED her to death. It was unrealistic. Yes, I know its television and things are quite often unrealistic, but bringing her in and having everyone adore her immeadiatly, and later have her on the show only because she's a main character's love interest--that just screams Mary Sue, even worse then ones i've read by fangirls on fanfiction.net. Coming from fangirls or fanboys or what have you, that kind of thing could be acceptable, but coming from these professional writers on a highly credited TV show...it just doesn't wash. CSINY is better than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.