In Plain Sight- Witness. Protection.

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Bryn Elizabeth, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

GNRF, I am sorry to be the one to tell you this news that came out august 11th.

TvGuide: USA's In Plain Sight To End Next Year After Five Seasons
    In Plain Sight will end next year after five seasons, a rep for the USA series confirms.
    The crime drama, starring Mary McCormack and Frederick Weller, will return for an eight-episode final season in spring 2012.

and incase you are in denial.

Variety: USA renews final season of 'In Plain Sight'
    USA Network's "In Plain Sight" will receive one last hurrah before saying goodbye.
    Cabler is renewing the Mary McCormack starrer for a fifth and final eight-episode season, which will air in spring 2012.
    The fourth season of "In Plain Sight" ended Sunday, with ratings on the uptick. The finale was up 6% from a year ago, and the series averaged a healthy 4.9 million viewers overall and saw double-digit gains in the major demos.
    "We've built a contract with the audience and want to give them a sense of closure," USA Network co-prexy Jeff Wachtel told Variety.

"This is a show that is close to our hearts," said co-president Chris McCumber, reiterating the importance of "In Plain Sight" and McCormack in establishing the net's "Characters Welcome" brand. "It's one of the main shows that built our business at USA. We owe it to them to pick up eight final episodes."
    McCormack stars as a U.S. marshal who works for the witness protection program. She must keep her federal witnesses alive while managing her own dysfunctional family.
    Also returning are regulars Frederick Weller, Paul Ben Victor and Rachel Boston. Ed Decter, John J. Strauss, Dan Lerner and Natalie Chaidez are exec producers. Series, shot in Albuquerque, N.M., is produced by Universal Cable Prods.

2. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I love this show and I am so sad that next summer will be the shows last. I love the cast and characters they play. The story lines are fantastic. Bad choice made by USA. I am also very unhappy that the season will be short. We, the fans, deserve a full one.

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Still hoping they'll change their minds or decide to film it elsewhere since NM's governor won't let them film there anymore. I don't know why its so hard to film the show elsewhere. There aren't many shows that are filmed where they take place lol.

And the guy saying "we wanted to give fans closure" is a joke. Eight episodes is NOT closure. That's just a ridiculous statement. With the way the storylines were left, there is no way eight episodes is enough. I want Mary and Marshall together in the end. Abby is too young for Marshall. Mark is not right for Mary. And I want Brandi to come to her senses and Peter to forgive her and them to get back together. But, I want this show to go on.

If USA doesn't change their minds, maybe another station will pick the show up for a complete fifth season or for a sixth season. If not, I guess us fans will just have a write a season six ourselves!

4. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Well and this is just my opinion on what they guy was saying about closure, eight eps is better then shutting down and not having the eight eps. Basically you might not like it but it's better then nothing. :shifty:

5. GregNickRyanFan

Well, yeah, of course... and for some shows, eight episodes might be enough. However, with this one, there was so much going on that needs closure that with only eight eps to do it in, I'm 80% sure it'll feel like its all rushed or something.

I just don't understand why if the only problem is the Governor of NM not letting them film there anymore, why can't they just film it elsewhere? There are plenty of states they could film it to make it look like NM. Arizona, for example.

6. GregNickRyanFan

I saw a commercial for this the other day. I think it said its returning in March. I'm still sad that its only getting eight episodes though. I'm gonna miss it when its gone.

7. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

Me too. I am looking forward to the new season, but it is gonna be too short. It always bugs me when networks drop great shows that have proven to be ratings hits and bring out new stuff that is lame.

8. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Agree with your sentiment. "New stuff that is lame" usually equals cheaper to produce or more interesting to the "Please don't make me think too much!" crowd. :rolleyes:

9. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Oh well, at least it will get another season (even if it is short), and hopefully all hanging storylines will get resolved. I missed it, so I'm happy its returning one more time. I didn't know about the New Mexico govenor's decision. I wonder if that'll affect the last season of Breaking Bad on AMC, which is also coming back for a final season. [​IMG]

10. GregNickRyanFan

IPS will be back on Friday March 16th at 9pm central standard time.

11. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

Thanks for posting the date! I can't wait to see the new season. Still sad that it will be the last.

12. GregNickRyanFan

I'm excited and sad at the same time (for the new season). It's kind of Bittersweet.

13. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Casting News: who will play Mary's father?

Just a short blurb in the current issue (Feb. 20-March 4, 2012 Double Issue--Revenge cover) of TV Guide Magazine:

Terra Nova Hero Moves On

Stephen Lang isn't wasting any time waiting for word from FOX as to whether Terra Nova will be picked up for a second season. The actor has signed on for three episodes of the final season of USA's In Plain Sight, premiering March 16, as Mary's dad, James Wiley Shannon. James is a charming career criminal who abandoned Mary as a child and has lived his life on the run from the FBI. His return leads Mary to confront tough choices that will cause her to reevaluate her life.

--William Keck

14. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I'm excited we finally get to meet her dad. I have wanted to see him before the show ended. It will give good closure.

15. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

From TV Guide Magazine's current issue (March 5-11 with Kiefer Sutherland cover):

SPRING PREVIEW
    In Plain Sight
    Returns Friday, 3/16, 10pm ET/9pm CT, USA Network; hulu.com, iTunes; Twitter: @InPlainSightUSA

She may be a new mom, but Witness Protection marshal Mary Shannon (Mary McCormack) won't be home changing diapers for long. The series' final season finds Mary back in the field with her partner Marshall (Fred Weller) and splitting parenting duties with ex-husband Mark (Bryan Callen). Despite the obvious attraction to Mary, Marshall is still hanging with Detective Abigail Chaffee (Rachel Boston). But by the series' end, promises executive producer Ed Decter, "the audience will get to see Mary and Marshall resolve their relationship in a way that should delight them." Meanwhile, Mary's mother, Jinx (Lesley Ann Warren), is MIA helping runaway bride Brandi (Nichole Hiltz) recover from a drug relapse. On the show's guest list this season: Tia Carrere as a love interest for Mary's boss Stan (Paul Ben-Victor), Mädchen Amick as Stan's troublesome supervisor and Terra Nova's Stephen Lang as Mary's long-estranged con-man father.

OT FYI: Terra Nova was canceled by FOX. [​IMG]