Season 12 Spoiler Lab Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laurence Fishburne is LEAVING!

EXCLUSIVE: After two-and-a-half seasons, Laurence Fishburne is leaving CSI. The Oscar-nominated actor's deal on the show was up and he opted not to renew it. He is expected to return to features full-time. It was a major coup for CBS to land Fishburne as a successor to original star William Petersen who left the series in December 2008. But when he last renewed his contract for CSI last May, Fishburne only did it for one season. After ten-and-a-half seasons as CBS' Thursday 9 PM anchor, CSI is moving to Wednesday 10 PM this fall. I hear CBS and the veteran crime drama's producers were not surprised by Fishburne's decision. "Nobody expected him to be on the show for 7 years," one insider said. "He is Laurence Fishburne!". Fishburne will next be seen in Steven Soderbergh's thriller Contagion.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/laurence-fishburne-leaves-csi/
:eek: :eek:

If this is true :eek:, if not, we're all coming after you, Shane. :lol:

Despite everything, I did like Langston just NOT how tptb handled it.

I do feel bad for Fishburne, though. All of us complaining about Langston and it wasn't because of him. It was tptb that screwed up.

He did step into a tough situation, but maybe CSI can get back to CSI now.

And if they don't make George the lead :scream: there'll be trouble. We DON'T need another big name person.

I still say George and Marg could have carried the show. What tptb seem to forget is that we are all invested in these characters.

It's going to be a scary summer.

You got that right! Judging from how TPTB have thought about things in the past, who knows what kind of crazy idea they will come up with to handle this? And who knows...some of the rest of the cast may decide to hang it up now too, what with LF and Marg both going and Jorja here/there/maybe.

If this is true :eek:, if not, we're all coming after you, Shane. :lol:

Despite everything, I did like Langston just NOT how tptb handled it.

I do feel bad for Fishburne, though. All of us complaining about Langston and it wasn't because of him. It was tptb that screwed up.

He did step into a tough situation, but maybe CSI can get back to CSI now.

And if they don't make George the lead :scream: there'll be trouble. We DON'T need another big name person.

I still say George and Marg could have carried the show. What tptb seem to forget is that we are all invested in these characters.

My thoughts exactly. I liked Langston (his first few episodes - I thought his rookie days were funny) but I just couldn't take him overtaking the show after season 9. Raskell became unbearable.

Yay the focus now shifts to the original CSIs!

Does this mean that the prestigious 263rd episode will not be Ray-centered? But... I was so used to the fact that he got heavy focus in the 200th and 250th episodes! And every episode inbetween! I'll be going through withdrawals!! :eek::eek: :(

I'm trying to recall if CSI had any episodes around the 20 million viewer mark this past season. Anyone have an answer to that?

The last 20m viewers episode was the Taylor Swift one "Turn, Turn, Turn" in season 9

CSI NY/MIA have also had significant drops

On a more serious note, this is kind of a bummer. Not the fact that the show is losing Fishburne, but the fact that other characters and actors either got shoved to the background or axed completely from the Big Picture.

Going into season ten do you all remember the news about Lauren Lee Smith? I do. She was canned because TPTB felt her character got lost in the shuffle amidst the introduction of Langston. Thankfully, we got Sara back, but still... I recall fans being more accepting of Riley than Langston at that time.

Then, around this time last year Liz Vassey was cut just prior to a season that was completely focused on Langston. Other characters ended up being M.I.A. too: Bobby Dawson, Mandy (for the most part), and most of the series regulars were entered into a rotation of 'what episode are we in?!' confusion. Lady Heather and Sofia Curtis were brought back. But for what? To advance a storyline the majority of the audience didn't care for and is ultimately ending with the actor leaving the show.

This is just one. big. mess.

ETA: Developing: "CSI is expected to bring on a new actor to replace Fishburne..."

Last edited:
On a more serious note, this is kind of a bummer. Not the fact that the show is losing Fishburne, but the fact that other characters and actors either got shoved to the background or axed completely from the Big Picture.

Going into season ten do you all remember the news about Lauren Lee Smith? I do. She was canned because TPTB felt her character got lost in the shuffle amidst the introduction of Langston. Thankfully, we got Sara back, but still... I recall fans being more accepting of Riley than Langston at that time.

Then, around this time last year Liz Vassey was cut just prior to a season that was completely focused on Langston. Other characters ended up being M.I.A. too: Bobby Dawson, Mandy (for the most part), and most of the series regulars were entered into a rotation of 'what episode are we in?!' confusion. Lady Heather and Sofia Curtis were brought back. But for what? To advance a storyline the majority of the audience didn't care for and is ultimately ending with the actor leaving the show.

This is just one. big. mess.

ETA: Developing: "CSI is expected to bring on a new actor to replace Fishburne..."

I think it's time for CSI to bid Adieu!:(

But it's been 11 seasons..and most shows don't last that long.

George should be made the lead actor. Some of the highest rated episodes have been with him having the episode.

Will tptb never learn that we want to see our cast front and center, not someone else. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling if they don't make George the lead he won't renew.

Or if they bring in some other actor then he'll have to be made supervisor.

In any case, our characters will get the shaft, again. :rolleyes:

Speedystokesgirl--totally agree. It is time for a promotion for the original cast members. No more newbies! Another option, bring back William Petersen for one last season to tieup all the loose ends.

Last edited:
Wow. Totally did not expect to wake up to this. :eek:

I do agree with what's been said. While I didn't care for Langston, it wasn't because of Fishburne. However, I am thrilled to be done with Langston. Although I do hope he appears in at least the premier to provide 'closure' for his character arc. I've always hated stuff being dropped completely without explanation.

But now I'm worried about the rest of the cast and who this new person will be. While I hope they bring back someone familiar, like Grissom, Sofia or Wendy, I know that won't happen.

A long summer indeed...

Wow, I am a bit shocked actually but maybe that is why the wrote the finale as they did, to give him an out.

I would love for William Peterson to come back for this season and make it the finale season.

Bringing in yet another new big name actor...that to me is just stupid at this point.

Some posts on Twitter:
vegasoul Dustin Lee Abraham
RIP Ray Langston. #CSI
Huntvision Jeffrey Hunt
Ray Langston will be no more #CSI
Rambopolitan David Rambo
Working with Laurence Fishburne made me want to be a better writer. SO glad I got to dance at that party. Love the man. #CSI

So it is for sure.

As I don't particularly like the character of Ray Langston this is good news (could go either way on LF, I've only seen him in CSI and Akeelah and the Bee). Now I just hope they don't repeat the same mistakes. They need to remember that there are some fans out here that have an 11 year invested interest in other characters - Nick, Greg, Catherine! :thumbsup:

This does make me worry about how TPTB will write his exit. I'm just having trouble thinking of a convievable, believable way of doing it without bringing down Brass (and possibly Catherine).

Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back