Season 11 "Spoiler Lab" Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Okay guys….I’m sure we can all agree that the majority of the discussion here lately has not been spoiler related. We are pretty flexible here in letting you discuss next season even tho there haven’t been any real spoilers coming out, but we are way, way, way off topic now.

But, rather than just ask you to stop discussing, we are going to open a new thread dedicated to discussion about character screentime/development. :) Here is the new thread! So it’s pretty simple…feel free to keep up the discussion, just please move it to that thread.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding! If you have any questions, please feel free to post here or PM me or DJRideout. :)

2. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I'm not sure where to post this but I figured this as good as place as any. I am seriously pissed with CBS right now. With the recent news that Criminal Minds is not asking AJ Cook back, and they are lessening Paget Brewster's role, I have to say WTF?

Khandi Alexander was let go in Miami, and replaced with three males; Marg has been upstaged by LF. Other than Medium, CBS has disregarded female leads.

It's becoming much more important than storylines or screen time. It's more about respect, or lack thereof, for female actors.

Next season I plan on boycotting CBS, except for Medium. I will only watch CSI if Jorja returns. Seriously, Les Moonves has got his chauvinistic head up his ass. He needs to be transported back to the dark ages.

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Just went to a CM site. Someone posted there that Joe Mantegna (sp?) [who plays Rossi] posted on his twitter just today that he has not heard anything about them letting AJ go or cutting Paget's airtime and that as far as he knows the entire cast will return for Season 6. So maybe Ausiello got some false info. :shrug:

Actually, I believe that Khandi chose to quit the show. No one really knows why, but the rumor is that she was not happy with the lack of development for her character. The official statement was that she got an offer to be the lead in another show (who wouldn't take that if they were just a supporting in another show? lol). Khandi/Alexx was originally replaced by Megalyn Echinwoken (sp?) as Dr. Tara Reid (I think Reid was her last name, I can't remember), but she didn't work out, so she was let go (she really didn't fit in with the rest of the cast). Then came the male coroner.

Walter was a role created specifically by Jerry Bruckheimer for the actor because Jerry is a big fan of his. Eddie Cibrian's character Jesse was originally (reportedly) going to be another detective like Frank (probably as a sort of replacement for Yelina who used to be in the opening credits), but was made a CSI when Adam Rodriguez announced that he was leaving the show (though Adam later returned). I don't think of Jesse and Walter as replacements for Alexx/Khandi because they came along a couple of seasons after Alexx's/Khandi's departure.

I really, really hope that CBS execs aren't stupid enough to cut the female roles on all of their dramas because that would be career suicide. The majority of CBS' viewers are FEMALE. And as I've said before, we ladies do like our male eye-candy, but we also enjoy watching women to whom we can relate. So I really hope the thing about these cuts is a rumor. We know Wendy/Liz being cut from CSI isn't a rumor, that's been confirmed unfortunately. I don't know what is going on, but I can't say that I like it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  4. byline

byline CSI Level One

As the previous poster noted, Khandi Alexander left the series; she wasn't let go. Frankly, I never found her the least bit believable as a coroner. This came as a huge shock, as she was so wonderful on "NewsRadio" that I thought she'd be the character I'd like most. Not so. She struck me as a weepy aunt who was constantly baffled by the technical language she was spouting, all behaviors that are completely inconsistent with a coroner supposedly in her league. And when it comes to talking to corpses? She needed a lesson or two from Nicholas Campbell's Dominic Da Vinci, who pulled it off far more convincingly. I just never felt the role was a good fit for her.

When I compare her to Robert David Hall's Doc Robbins . . . well, there's just no comparison. And it ain't just different acting styles. There's never any question in my mind that Doc Robbins knows exactly what he's talking about. He is completely convincing as a medical examiner. At least to me, Alexander never was.

But then, the casting on "Miami" has always felt off, in a "comic book" way, to me. It's like they went for a very retro '70s style of casting, more "Who do we think looks good together?" rather than who can most convincingly portray a character (and look good in the process).

I realize that as with some of the earlier posts, this probably isn't the proper thread for this discussion, as there's nothing spoiler-ish about it. Maybe the mod can move these last three posts into the new spin-off thread on character development? Just a thought.

5. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Apologies to Smokey, but I posted it here because I thought it was related somewhat to Liz not coming back and the general male domination of the show that we have touched on here.
    And I understand what others have said about Khandi and her character and her replacement, but it comes back to the writing of female characters, and the feeling by tptb that they are dispensible. It happened to LLS and to 'Ronnie' and to Angel on NY; and now to AJ. Even the new shows are male heavy.
    There's just too much of a pattern here in my conspiracy theory mind.

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Edited to say: I guess its not the same thing after all as with Wendy because they've now announced that as for Criminal Minds, they are replacing AJ Cook with a new female character.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  7. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Yeah but they are still reducing Paget's screentime. Why her and not one of the guys?

It's so irritating that CBS is doing this in so many shows. CSI NY did it with Angell and now CSI is doing it with Wendy. On CSI it's even worse since Sara is not a regular right now which only leaves ONE female regular. Which of course is not the lead because that would be LF :rolleyes:. With so many guys couldn't they drop Hodges who has basically the same screentime as Wendy and thus leave the female character? Also in CSI NY Lindsay was the one rotated and didn't appear in all the episodes because of budget reasons. Granted Adam and Sid were also rotated but they aren't part of the team as CSI's so that's why I'm pointing out Lindsay. Just like in Miami, Natalia was MIA in quite a few episodes this season. There are 5 male CSI's, a male coroner, male detective, and 2 females in Miami. It's just the same all over and it's quite irritating.

Smokey: I'm sorry if I got offtopic so if there's a better place to post this please show me the way :).

8. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

IDK. I think it is the same thing. I have little doubt that they will 'replace' Wendy next season with a new female DNA tech, probably recurring and not a regular. And they will need a female CSI (other than Catherine); the question is, will it be Sara or someone else.
    The bigger problem is they keep rotating female characters as if they are less important and interchangeable, yet keep the same males (except Gary and Cochrane from Miami, who left or were let go for personal reasons). It's just frustrating. And it's always the same excuse, 'creative differences', new 'creative direction'. Or the 'the character just didn't work out'. Total BS, in other words.
    And not to rehash old arguments, but if Jorja hadn't had the GSR storyline, do you think she would have been asked back? Honestly, I don't know. IMO she was always a great character in her own right, but tptb might have treated her differently if her character wasn't so connected to the show's lead character.

The only thing I do know: this waiting to hear who is coming back is killing me!

9. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Do you know when we will find out more information about the contract negotiations?This long waiting is killing me!:)

10. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

They usually start filming in mid July. I guess we'll find out when we find out who does and doesn't show up on set. :( They told us about Jorja last season when filming started because it was obvious when she showed up on set.

Susan

11. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Thanks very much blackflag:thumbsup:I can't wait to see next season's first spoilers:drool:

12. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Welllll....so far, it's been okay. But if you guys want, someone can feel free to start a thread about TV's (or CBS's) paring down of female characters or whatever. That would go in the General TV forum if it's about more shows than just CSI, or in the General CSI forum if it's about the three CSI shows.

And of course, Criminal Minds has its own thread in General TV. :)

Discussions here should really be mainly about Las Vegas CSI. We're cutting everyone a little slack during the slow summer, but let's not get carried away. ;)

13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I think it's off my chest now :lol: Thanks!

CSI has really been playing with us this season with the contracts mystery. The thing is that CBS has really been pulling off some surprising stunts so anything is possible at this point. I'm pretty sure they'll all come back but my confidence has wavered some :shifty:.

14. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Someone is coming back??? Is it Grissom? I know you don't know yet but are there spoilers saying someone will be back? I'm excited I hope it's Grissom!

15. ricker23

ricker23 Victim

I think jtd94 meant about who in general was returning next season, since contract renewals for several cast members (Marg, Paul, Eric, George) are unknown. I doubt that we'll see Grissom any time soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.