Season 11 "Spoiler Lab" Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Thanks ricker23! Well, I guess I'm just too tired of all the news firing/demoting cast of other dramas I watch. News about someone returning just excites me...

2. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Is anyone definately coming back next season or is everyone's contracts up for extensions? It seems to me like everyone on the main cast is up for contract renegotiations.

I just realized that Marg is going to be the only woman on the main cast list after Liz's exit. I guess in a way that's a good thing for Marg but I don't know, without another female lead it just feels like CSI is unbalanced. A lot of great shows have a mix of female and male leads. CSI currently has one female to six male leads. See what I mean by unbalanced? Hopefully, Jorja will come back if not for a lead spot at the very least a recurring guest role like season 10.

3. Ipstenu

Ipstenu Police Officer Premium Member

Laurence Fishburne is coming back. And I THINK Doc Robbins. But Fishburne's the only one I know of for sure.

4. MaxPointy

MaxPointy Hit and Run

I'm beginning to think that the CSI franchise is the new Law and Order in that the format will outlive the cast.

CSI is a show heading into it's eleventh season. Really the only surprising thing about some of the major casting changes that have happened (and will continue to happen) is that there haven't been more of them. For an eleven year old show, major cast shakeups have been few and far between. It's only been in the past two seasons that the wheels had started to come off, and considering how long the show's been on, none of it's that surprising.

Jorja Fox: left after seven seasons to pursue other things. Most people don't stay in one job for seven years. Actors are no different.

William Petersen: ditto.

Gary Dourdan: unfortunately, his own personal life began to effect his work to the point that it began to cause serious problems for himself, the crew, and his fellow cast members. If I had been in the same shoes as the producers, I'd probably have let him go too. It may sound cold, but when the cast and crew of a show are all mutally dependent, you can't risk having someone around (no matter how talented) who's behavior is causing serious disruptions to everybody's work routines.

Laurence Fishburne: Let's face it...he was hired as the new series lead and that's exactly how he's being written. I've started rewatching the earlier seasons, and really, I don't think he's getting much more screen time that William Petersen did.

Lauren Lee Smith: I gotta say that the producers really dropped the ball here. I instantly liked her sarcastic wit, her banter with Greg and Doc Robbins, her trigger-happy nature, and her butting heads with Ray and Catherine from time to time. I was really glad she wasn't written as Sara 2.0. I think dropping her from the cast might prove very short-sighted, especially since I'd consider it doubtful that Marg Helgenberger or Jorja Fox will remain with the show much longer. The show needs strong women and she fit the bill perfectly.

I'm willing to bet that if CSI stays on the airs another couple of years, few if any of the original cast will remain.

What I'd like to see...

1) Catherine get a story line spread out over a season or two that leads to her leaving (because I consider Marg Helgenberger's eventual departure inevitable) for reasons other than the now cliched burn-out, personal tragedy or getting killed. Maybe a career opportunity she couldn't pass up, or a career change entirely. The character deserves a happy ending.

2) I don't think anyone's ever posted an idea like this here but I think Greg would make an awesome homicide detective. I recently watched "No Way Out" and observed that he
    i) has a really good grasp of police tactics.
    ii) has a natural ability to empathize and relate with victims families while still ensuring proper procedures are followed.
    iii) is still relatively young and teachable.
    Maybe the best way for Greg to get some really good character development would be for him to leave the lab all together.

3) I hate to say it, but I don't see Nick either as a leading man or replacing Catherine as supervisor, nor do I think Nick is really cut out for things like being a homicide detective. If I had to write him out of the series, I'd probably see him transfer to a position of training new recruits or something like that - he'd be a good teacher...he could even go the Grissom route and work in academia. But I think this character may have gone about as far as he can go. Might be time for George Eads and CSI to part ways amicably.

Long-running series inevitably reach a point where, even if ratings are still strong, bloated cast salaries and creative burnout make maintaining the status quo impossible. I think CSI could have Law and Order like longevity, but I think we're all deluding ourselves if we think it will still look like the same show when its over.

None of these are spoilers per se, just the observations and opinions of someone who watches way too much TV.

5. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

Its not just female characters getting the ax. Eddie Cibrian of CSI:Miami is also getting the boot (although I think he'll be in some episodes).

Moving on - I think I read last yr that Robert David Hall and Paul G had signed on for a 4 yr deal so I don't think we have to worry about those two. I am just concerned about George and Eric. IMO CSI would be pointless without Nick and Greg.

6. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

MaxPointy, I think Nick would do quite well as a detective. Between the way the character's been lately and the fact that the original bio for the character had him as a cop changing over to become a CSI. Not to mention that he should know the law with a degree in Criminal Justice.

I don't think that Greg would be a detective because of his reluctance to carry a gun (and the fact that he hasn't been able to tell his mother that he's a CSI yet). I think that with his rather sheltered upbringing (that's what I got out of his little convo with Grissom in Fannysmackin) that he wouldn't be able to handle the violence of a homicide detective for very long.

I think RDH is the only one who's 'safe' so to say (thought he said it was a 3yr deal but that was 2yrs ago and who know if I remember right). According to a TV Guide back May George, Eric, Marg & Paul will all be without a contract at the end of June. :( Personally I want them all back. They don't have to be a revolving door cast. I never watched ER after the originals started leaving and I've never watched any of the L & O's.

Susan

7. byline

byline CSI Level One

MaxPointy, I agree with most of your comments. I think that dropping Lauren Lee Smith was an unfortunate kneejerk reaction to the ratings slide, and she was the sacrificial lamb. As you say, it was very shortsighted. They still could have brought back Jorja Fox and kept Lauren, developing her character and prepping her for the inevitable point when Marg and/or Jorja leave for good.

Your only comment that I disagree with involves Nick. I think he could take over as supervisor and be believable in that role. His handling of the situation in this year's season finale -- saving himself, Ray and Jeky'll's father -- showed that he could was more than capable. Conversely, as the previous poster pointed out, Greg's aversion to carrying a firearm would, of course, be a serious impediment to him becoming a detective.

8. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

9. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

I think one of the reasons why CSI hasn't suffered from large cast shakeups in the same way the other shows usually do by this point is because CSI relies on the cast much more heavily than other shows. The cast carries the show(along with the science) and that's what people tune in for every week. CSI without Cath, Nick, and ect. would just be any popular crime procedural.

Secondly, I feel the same way about Lauren Lee Smith's absence in season 10. She had just the right amount of modern woman appeal that I liked. She wasn't a newbie to the whole CSI thing but at the same time she wasn't a CSI-3 either. I liked that.

10. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Not sure if this is spoiler-y or not. There's an article that has been released with Eric Szmanda promoting CSI: The Experience in Ireland this week. When the interview was given is unknown. It was after filming for season 10 had finished at the end of April. However, it seems Eric was pretty confident about returning next season. And if it was after Season 10 was over, Eric wouldn't be obligated to promote the show if he was let go, right? Basically, one can hopefully assume that he at least will be back next season.

Here's a link to the Eric/Greg thread where the article is.

11. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Well, George said after June 30th he'd be free to pursue other interests (if not asked back) then one would assume that they are all under contract until June 30th, so Eric would still be bound by contract to promote CSI.

12. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

speedystokesgirl. Crushing dreams wherever she goes. :lol:

13. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

:D

14. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I have that saying on a t-shirt. :lol:

15. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

If we take it over there do we get cool swag as well? :D