8x03 - 'Bolt Action' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Oct 2, 2009.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I actually never really suspected the husband. I thought it was the boy who survived because he was the only one who was wearing socks... and ones that would keep him from getting shocked too. That just seemed suspicious to me... but then it became nothing. :lol:

I didn't notice the jacket, but those socks in the last scene were just... yikes.

I also didn't like the way they made Stetler appear in this episode. He's been written as a bit more sympathetic as of late ... until this ep when he's seemingly written as the "evil villian who seemingly lies to E/C to try to break them up". Excuse me, but am I watching Dallas or Miami? :lol: Even Stetler wouldn't do that! Next thing you know, they're going to be saying that Stetler wants Calleigh for himself and that's why he lied to try to break up E/C. :lol:

It was swept away too quickly it seems like.

I always thought Tia was a decent actress, but her acting in this episode was off a bit at times. It surprised me. As for Cheryl barely moving her face, maybe that's a botox thing? :lol: I dunno... I honestly didn't notice that. :lol:

I disagree, but that's just me :lol: . I've read the same comments about Adam though... which left me like :wtf: I disagreed with them as well. :lol:

I agree that Jesse isn't like Bruce Willis, but I still found it amusing that the nightshift is calling him that. :lol: I thought Walter was going to end up being over the top with the trying to be funny, but he wasn't. I actually liked him. That said, I'm not sure I'd like him as a full time cast member. I think he'd be better in smaller doses... I personally think he should remain a recurring character. There is a such thing as too much of a good thing. His funny-schtick thing will get old fast if he's a full time character IMO.

And I love Tom. Yes, he's a bit weird, but I'll take weird over an M.E. with a prescription drug addiction any day. :lol: Plus, I kind of like quirky characters. :)

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. :lol:

2. electra

electra Pathologist

Thanks for the comments everyone.I have not watched any of the new episodes but this one looks interesting.At least I am curious about how the E/C saga will end.I will definely watch this one.

3. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I'm watching the episode right now & I'm laughing so hard :lol:

- Calleigh...can someone explain to the wardrobe people she's not 60 years old, please? :lol:
    - Calleigh & Jesse in the middle of what seemed to be more of a desert than a beach :shifty:
    - Ryan not understanding "they were together" & Natalia explaining it :lol:
    - the locker room scene was wow, at least IMO. It was awkard, but I loved it.
    - was there a hurricane while Stetler was questioning Calleigh & Delko? What was all that water? a fountain? And those thunders/lightnings? Where were they? :wtf:
    - "Former boyfriend?""that's how he put". Please!!! Tell me that I heard that wrong :lol:. This is just horrible!
    -Tom!!! What a cutie!! I love him.
    -Jess with the labcoat....awww lovable.
    -Walter!!! OMG!!! He's weird, but I do enjoy him LOL.
    -Finally!!! They put some chairs in that A/V lab.
    -"they tend to be very generous....so I've heard" :lol:
    - can they speak any language which isn't English? For god's sake, thank god Walter knew French :lol:
    - OMG Tia Carrere. "Oh good, just what I was looking for right now ...a magic show" :guffaw:
    - "we were experimenting :shifty:" :lol:
    - can people teach TPTB that CSI/cop cannot talk about they're next move in front of a suspect? Gosh it always happenes in all the crime TV shows :lol:
    - awwwwww Natalia is having a good screentime and she's talking...I can't believe it! YAY!
    - oh wow, now I know why I saw lightining before LOL.
    -"I'll look for the ladder....or not" LOL. God, Jesse is hotter and hotter :drool:
    -"they sent YOU!""Is that a problem?" Muahahahahah.
    - "oh you got a friend""i'm Walter, how you're doing?""Easy big boy" :guffaw:
    - Jesse describing IA....cute, cute & cute :adore:
    - Tweeter? I'm not gonna use it anymore after this :rolleyes:
    - Calleigh is really annoying me! Really! She can't even make up her mind! Last week she was cold & mean and now?? For god's sake...get rid of her :rolleyes:! I'm not gonna stand her anymore after this :rolleyes:

4. SomewhereApart

SomewhereApart Prime Suspect

I thought it was an average episode. Solid, plot-wise, and an unexpected killer, but it didn't stand out to me as one of the best ever.

What DID stand out to me was the fairly even screen time given to the CSI crew, which I thought was AWESOME. It's been a long time since an episode really felt that balanced.

I'm liking Jesse a lot, and think he has great chemistry with the rest of the CSIs. He's settled in well, and seems to be a good addition to the team. I liked him recognizing that something was off with Calleigh and trying to cheer her up a little. And I like that she let him. I could totally ship them if the show went that way.

I do think it's totally unrealistic that Eric found out the result of the investigation via Twitter. That's just ridiculous. Talk about a serious breach of department security, if someone is tweeting the results of your internal investigations. Come ON, guys.

I'm also a little bummed (though not surprised) that the case was dropped so quickly. I think both he and Calleigh should have been reprimanded at the very least for their actions in the finale.

I do think they're still together (and I love them, so I"m happy with that), but I hope everything is not all hugs and puppies for them after what happened. There should at least be SOME impact on their relationship. However well-intentioned they were, they both acted poorly in regard to their relationship in the finale, and I'd like to see that taken into account. Doubt it will be, though.

I do think Calleigh was in-character, though. The stone-cold Calleigh of the last couple episodes and the beginning of this one are pretty typical Calleigh masking her emotions and getting through the day when her personal life is rocky. The end of the episode looks pretty typical of flirty in-a-relationship Calleigh. Reminded me a lot of the two of them at the end of Sink or Swim last year.

5. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

An interesting episode. I found the science that went into explaining the murder pretty cool.

What I liked:

-Even though Jesse still was more front and center than everyone else, I thought a real effort was made to give everyone quality screen

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  6. GregNickRyanFan

I agree. I got a kick out of him.

That was a great line. I'd forgotten about that one. :lol:

Haha... I didn't even notice that, but now that you mention it... :lol:

Those two were funny together.

Wow... I'm shocked that you of all people would say they should get rid of Calleigh. :lol: But, you're right about the writing for her character. EP has been saying that Cal was gonna be like an ice queen and well, that only lasted for what one ep? Now they've written her in this latest ep, almost back to her normal pre-relationship self. Weird. Make up your mind, writers. :lol:

I completely agree. The balance was very well done. :)

I also agree that Jesse seems to fit in well with the others.

That was insane. :lol:

:lol: "hugs and puppies" Buffy said that once. :) Loved that line. :lol:

7. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

An interesting episode. I found the science that explained the murder pretty cool.

What I liked:

-Even though Jesse was still front and center, I thought an effort was made to give everyone quality screen time. I loved the pairings: Jesse/Ryan, Jesse/Cal, Natalia/Ryan, Nat/H, Jesse/Nat, Ryan/Tripp, and Nat/Tripp. Even H's screen time seemed less.

-Ryan was good looking and funny. Although I like the shirt/ties, I like the more casual look better (more tight jeans please).
    --Love the scene in the locker room. Thought Ryan's recognition of Eric's presence was heartfelt, especially with the tension between them in the past. Thought Ryan was trying to be discreet with Cal and Eric together not knowing they were to have no contact before the hearing. Thought his last comment made things awkward though (although he could have been right).
    --Thought he had decent chemistry with Jesse and Frank and Ryan should take their act on the road:lol: (love it when Ryan riles Frank up into calling him smarta**:lol:)
    --Chuckled at "Ahoy".

-More Natalia than we've seen in a while. She had good lines ("I'm not her type") and I kind of forgot how good of a CSI she can be.

-Love OM and CC!! Loved the way OM called Jesse "Die Hard"!

-Loved the tension being over between Calleigh and Eric. Even if they don't resume the romance, at least the friendship will remain and they can work together (as long as Adam is still there). Cal looked more relaxed and smiled more.

What I didn't liked:

Is it really professional to post the results of an IAB investigation on Twitter?!

The Dumbing Down of Ryan Wolfe: I can understand him not knowing who Ashton and Demi are, but what a cougar is? Please:( And him stumbling over the "together-together" when interviewing the husband?! Did he just fall off of the turnip truck?! Ryan is too smart to be than naive. I hope this isn't a trend that is just beginning. Write him consistant! Don't make him go from a good CSI to the village idiot just to inject more humor.

Wanted to punch the husband with his "I can do it because I am a man" speech.

I liked this episode, especially with the effort to give everyone good screen time.

8. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

I thought this was an average episode. What killed it for me was the main storyline was underwhelming.

-Am I the only one who noticed that Rex Linn (Tripp) looked bored in his first scene in this ep. He was better in later scenes though especially when he zapped Ryan with his smartass line

-No Horatio?
    -Is it me or did Ryan look like he is sporting a pooch belly? In one early scene it looked like he did.
    -Why did Jesse take Walter as opposed to say Ryan or Tripp?
    -Walter was alright. The new ME didn't impress me..
    -I don't mind occasional humour but I think this ep overdid it a little

I didn't think much about Ryan's lack of knowledge of Cougars and cubs until you guys brought it up and I do agree. Considering that he zapped Valera with his knowledge of toxic inks and knowing the likes of A-Rod and Jake "David Goyer wanted me for Batman" Gyllenhaal, I'm sure he would know about this.

overall 3/5

9. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I laughed at Ryan's fumbling, but this really did seem out of character for him. From the beginning I've never thought of Ryan as an inexperienced boy. ;)

Patience, MJ. Let's not ask for too much, too fast. I loved Natalia last night. I thought her interaction with both Jesse and Horatio was outstanding. Loved her "Tarzan" comment to Jesse! :lol:

I could have used a little more Horatio in the episode, but I'm so happy to see what appears to be a "team" in this episode, I'll overlook the minimal use of Horatio - as long as it doesn't become a bad habit! ;)

Rather than picking one, I'm with Flo, can we just get rid of her? She's makes my teeth itch whenever I see her at this point.

I'm not getting a sense of over-sell just yet, but they are walking a fine line. Climbing the lifeguard tower was a little in your face, but Natalia and her charm in that scene saved it completely. So I forgave! :)

You mean "Teflon Coated Eric", the guy to whom nothing sticks? I don't know what more he can do to draw the appropriate reprimand (seems Ryan just has to get up in the morning), but apparently both he and Calleigh are immune to being called on their inappropriate behavior and it all ended up being a joke to them anyway.

Both wonderful additions to the cast! I especially love Walter. They are doing a wonderful job casting these additions. I just hope they find a way to use them AND the current cast in the best way possible.

I agree. If Eric was able to find out the results of their investigation via Twitter, they have some serious internal security issues in that department! I can't believe that ANYONE vetting that script let that one get by. :rolleyes:

And as I said above, again both Eric and Calleigh get a free pass on grossly inappropriate behavior. I've said before that I'm sorry to lose Adam, but I really hope it will mean either the end of the E/C storyline or moving it to the background.

Totally agree. I enjoyed it completely - except for those "few absurdities". :rolleyes:

10. bogglesthemind

bogglesthemind Dead on Arrival

I mentioned this on the EC page, but I really think the twitter comment was meant as an in-joke for those fans following Adam's updates, his leaving, etc. I dont think it was meant to be taken too seriously. I chose to see it as an easter egg from the writers/producers/actors and maybe a bit of a "thumbing their noses" at TPTB.

As for the plot, meh...it was fine. I didn't hate it and didn't love it. I think the premise was a little far-fetched, but I still enjoyed it for the most part.

I was extremely pleased with the representation of all the characters. I thought giving Ryan the cheesy line before the opening credits was delightful, and loved that he said it in his own way, not mimicing H's style. I also enjoyed both new, recurring characters. The ME is a little odd, but definitely entertaining! Natalia got some good screen time and a bit more substance than usual, which I very much enjoyed.

As for Eric and Calleigh, from a storyline standpoint, first of all, I love this ship, so I'm a happy camper right now. I agree that it was a bit of a stretch for the investigation into their behavior to be dropped quite so easily after one conversation with Stetler. That seemed a little too easy. I also think they forgave each other pretty quickly. That having been said, I was ready to be done with their relationship angst for a while. Despite the things that were said in the finale, I believe that the trauma of her almost shooting him, him almost dying again, and their jobs being on the line, were enough for them to at least temporarily forgive and forget. Some people have described Calleigh's characterization as cold in the past couple of episodes. I felt it was appropriately guarded and honest about the events. I hope they do come back to deal with Calleigh's trust issues in the future. As for right now, I'm happy with how things were left at the end of the episode. I think EC acted like the close friends that they have been throughout the series...they trust each other, relationship or not. :bolian:

11. GregNickRyanFan

Because Walter was somewhat knowledgeable about the world of the Cougar. :lol: In that scene, he was translating stuff for Jesse about what the woman said.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  12. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

I agree, Eric and Calleigh were not looking to be alone. It was tension from not being able to talk to one another until the investigation was over.

13. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

Maybe it was better that Ryan was there. They could talk to him since they couldn't talk to each other.

14. GregNickRyanFan

Exactly what I was thinking. He was like their chaperone. :lol:

15. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Yeah, I know it was a little bit too much from me to say, but that was what I thought while watching the ending scene. And it still is what I think about Calleigh right now. I love EP and all, I also used to love Calleigh till a couple of years ago, but OMG it's been like looking a pregnant woman who's acting due to hormones since s5. For god's sake she's been treating Eric in the worst way possible. One istant she treats him as a moron, one minute later she's all caring & she trusts him with every fiber of her being :rolleyes:. CALLEIGH DUQUESNE MAKE UP YOUR MIND! TPTB have to make up their mind about this whole E/C oplà.

If they want to go on with it, please do it. I'm all for it as long they don't insult everyone's intelligence by showing Calleigh mean & cold in one episode and all "awww I love you Eric" in the later episode :rolleyes:. You know it can be quite interesting for a couple of episodes, but when you keep doing this for 3 years....well it becomes quite annoying as well as Calleigh's character. So yeah I'm all for getting rid of her at the moment. Thank you Delynn for your support :lol:

And yeah I'm sick and tired of seeing Eric & Calleigh being absolved for every mistake they make :rolleyes:

As for the whole tweeter stuff, I don't care wheather it was for Adam's fans....it was just ridiculous :wtf: