8x03 - 'Bolt Action' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Oct 2, 2009.

1. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I'm just glad they aren't giving Eric the Speed treatment. I can't say if I know if they've learned a lesson or not but we'll see.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Please for the love of God, No more romances AT ALL between main characters. EVER! Please! :lol: This show needs to focus on procedural stuff not romantic relationships. :lol: I swear I will scream and literally slam my head against the wall if they hook Jesse (or Walter or Tom) up romantically with any of the main characters.

I couldn't understand what he said either.

The "together-together" thing was cute and I chalked it up to him just not paying close attention to the conversation. :lol: But him not knowing what a cougar is? Nope, sorry... don't buy it. Will NEVER buy it. It came off as annoying because it felt like the writers were trying to explain to the auidence what a cougar is. We don't need something simple like that explained to us (because that sort of thing is really pointless anyway). We only need how they solve the crimes explained. :lol:

Ryan himself personally would totally know what a cougar is. I mean, it's Ryan. Like someone else said, the person who noticed a vic had "ring around the collar". And if he knows that expression for that particular kind of mark, then he has to know what a cougar is. :lol: Plus, I could have sworn that Ryan made a comment in an earlier episode about a suspect/victim being cougar like. It just is annoying when the writers seem to forget things about their characters.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  3. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I too found it annoying,I felt as if the character was being dumbed down.You're right about that "ring around the collar" too,he knows what's going on.

I have that stupid digital convertor box and sometimes the pic and sound breaks up,which it did during Ryans intro one-liner.

4. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Although I'm pretty sure Ryan knew what a cougar really was after dealing with people all day long, you can never, ever assume that he knows everything. The term "cougar" for a woman on the prowl in her 40's has been around since the 90's, but I hadn't heard it since about 2002. But at that time I was in the active military, and we called them something else.

Oh, and I don't mind that little Ryan's starting to fill out a little. Just seems like he changed so quickly. :lol: More for my fanfic OC to love! :devil:

5. Liesbetje

Liesbetje Dead on Arrival

I read somewhere over here that Eric mentionned Twitter. What did he say about it? Think I missed that one...

Regarding the episode... I'm still not sure what to think about it. Still not sure what to think about the 8th season, to be honest. I watch, I definitely do, but I'm not yet glued to the screen. I'm not even tempted at reading spoilers, whereas during the previous seasons the spoiler topic was the first one I checked. Strange...

6. Zipster

Zipster Witness

My take on this episode was, it was okay.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't a spectacular episode. The whole premise on the older woman / younger man fantasy aside, I just didn't buy the idea that the husband would have been that clever to create this sort of complicated crime. Furthermore, I realise that this was meant to be an ingenious crime, but it came across as very reaching to me. So that bothered me.

The character interactions though I thought were superb.
    Like many of you, I seriously doubt Ryan is that naive and given his history, it seems doubtful that Ryan would not know what was going on here. I liked Jesse in this episode. He really is a nice addition to the cast. I'm not sure about Walter at all to be honest, but I'll give him a try! I liked the Stetler scenes, but felt they weren't really of any significance at all and Rick just didn't seem his usual vindictive self when it comes to being in IA - maybe the promotion has mellowed him? I didn't feel they resolved anything there and Eric just seems to be playing bit parts rather then any meaningful role. Hopefully we get to see that before he departs.. I hate long goodbyes, so I hope this isn't just a season long "bye" from him. It was good to see Horatio in the lab. I just wish he'd ditch the dark suits and go back to lighter ones again.

Overall, I liked it, but didn't think it was the best so far. Really am enjoying this season a lot more then season 7.

B+ :thumbsup:

7. greatfan

greatfan Captain

No,we can't assume he knows everything, that's everyone else on the team.Just kidding,but barely.Him not knowing just didn't serve a purpose in the story.It was easy enough to figure out what was going on,older woman-younger man.There was no need to explain it.

8. VirGodess1923

VirGodess1923 Lab Technician

Did anyone else find the writing for this episode a little off? I certainly did when Ryan and Natalia were going back and forth in the middle of an interrogation in front of the daughter. What was with all that cougar talk?? Jesse and the new guy talks were odd and him out on the field with Jesse...is he an expert or a CSI?? Jesse getting up on the roof of that tower was a little odd too...

Sorry to say, I love me some Togo, but he put on a little weight... did he get hurt?? He was so much more fit in early season 7...I still have love for him though. Still funny as heck...

I was glad to see more Natalia in this and Togo. They really put everyone in this episode and that's how it should be done.

On to the next....

9. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

[/QUOTE]

Sometimes a character will say a line and they refer to it as dummy dialog; it is to set up an explanation for whatever is going on but this is a little extreme. I never buy it either that Ryan wouldn't know what a cougar is. He knew the type of meds SA's character in a bottle without a label was taking in HT but not that? Ryan is smarter than that. It is part of the fear I have: are they trying to them dumb him down. Why is that even necessary?

10. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

From your fingers to TPTB attention! (crossing my fingers)

Can't we STOP with the romance on the show (they can go at it like bunnies in FanFic and they have my blessing!). It doesn't work. I think that Jesse is doing fine interacting with everyone on the team, but I DO NOT see any special chemistry with any ONE character!

Can we please stop trying to put these characters in bed together? :rolleyes:

11. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I'm all for Nat having a good man, but not w/ Jesse or any other main character - I can do without CSI:Orgiefest thank you. After the e/c trainwreck & what the relationship did to the team I do nawwwwtt want to see it with anyone. At all. Not to mention that all the garbage e/c went through that constantly effected thier jobs, & life :rolleyes:, I don't think it's a good idea for any of them to be romantically paired up with one another....much too risky for the friendship, the job, oh & the safety of their life, cause lord knows if there's some romance then someone will have to be near freakin' death a million times before they close the damn deal. Keep it in your pants, I say!

On topic now, sorry about the minor explosion there :alienblush:

RE: Ryan looking like a doof -- like someone said above, I think it was tptb choosing someone to explain to the audience the whole cougar angle & they just obviously chose the wrong character - I don't think they're purposely dumbing him down. No worries here. :)
    They should've brought Travers in for that scene --not that he's dumb, but I could totally see it from him & it would've been just as hysterical :lol:.

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Kyle would have been the better choice since he's so young and it would be at least a tiny bit believeable that he didn't know what cougar was.

13. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Oh, perfect! Wouldn't it have been hysterical to watch Horatio try to explain cougars and cubs to Kyle! :guffaw:

You're welcome, darlin'. I got your back! ;) Oh, and really, really NICE avatar! :drool:

14. VirGodess1923

VirGodess1923 Lab Technician

I think in any show, they will have some sort of chemistry between characters, no matter how much you try and prevent it from happening. Yes, CSI Miami is about forensics, but these characters in a sense are human and its natural to have them want to jump in bed with each other. All of the CSI franchise experiment with couples and some come out happy and work, and some not the way we all want it to. Beyond the science, we are in someway supposed to connect with their characters and if it takes delving into their personal lives to do so, than I'm for it. These "people" work long hours with each other so there is bound to be an attraction, and some will take a chance, some won't. It's all a learning experience. Plus most are hot! If they want to pair Natalia with Jesse, I personally think it would be interesting to see. There are some shows that are all about solving a crime, like Criminal Minds, but we also get to see some of their personal lives as well, so its normal. They're all different situations, really. TPTB testing the waters will only let them know what direction to take.

15. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I was pretty impressed with the amount of screen time everyone seemed to get. I also liked pairing everyone up the way they did. Hopefully it will continue.

No problems here. I agree with everything you said.

That is a good way of looking at it. I guess one reason I thought he should know is technically he IS cougar bait:lol:

Now THAT would have been funny:lol:

He probably would have called Nat in!!:lol: