You Talk Funny!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BittenByTheWolfe, Feb 21, 2005.

1. curtainonfloor

curtainonfloor Police Officer

Nope, and i don't know much either, just random words. When i was really young Dutch was more common than english in our house, but now its reversed. As a result of that, i needed speech therapy when i was little because i would mix up the two languages and strange stuff would come out of my mouth and then i'd get confused when people were like "huh?" My parents don't speak Dutch either anymore, but they stil have really strong accents.

2. Lunalee

Lunalee Victim

I'm from just outside glasgow, scotland and dont think i have much of an accent....that is until i hear ar scottish person talking on the tv or something like that. I've had friends from down south tell me i have one of the most heavy accents they've ever heard but i honestly dont hear it

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Okay, having one grandmother from County Cork in Ireland and the other from Cannes in France I was always known as the Irish Frog at school. I can do either accent quite nicely thank you lol.
    My true accent, heaven knows, seemed to have picked a bit of something from where ever I've lived and from the family.
    Dad, although half French was raised in London and had a thick cockney accent.
    I was actually raised by my Irish grandmother in Hampshire (South East England) so I guess I have a Hampshire accent, well until I get mad and the Irish begins to creep out, when that happens the family say it's time to run for cover lol.
    My mother sent me to drama classes to, as she put it, learn to speak proper English.
    Well sorry folks, all the training in the world wont stop an accent from slipping out at some time or another lol.

4. GoodLittle Wench

GoodLittle Wench Coroner

I'm a southern girl, so I have a southern accent. I don't really think it's that noticable. But friends from Ohio and northward tell me I have a very pronounced accent.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a little bit of a southen accent, like some one from Kentucky. My fathers side of the family is from Kentucky, but that dosen't have anything to do with me having a little bit of a accent. I get it because I live in south eastern ohio...but one of my best friends, Cory, he's from Clevland, Ohio, and it's in the north part of the state, and he is the only one of my friends who dosen't have a slight accent.

But I notice when I get angry with someone, I have a slight british accent LOL. Considering I'm part british may have alot to do with it LOL, the english blood is comming out in me LOL.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a midwest accent - makes since since I grew up in Indiana. But get me around my best friend - who's from Tennessee, and I pick up her accent after an hour or so. :D Then, no one can tell that I'm not from the south. :lol:

7. GoodLittle Wench

GoodLittle Wench Coroner

That is because I am a bad influence on you. :devil:

8. tuesdaymorning

tuesdaymorning Judge

I have an accent. Yes, Northern Ohioans have their own unique accent that Southern Ohioans do not have. We can easily regonize what part of the state we're from due to our accents.

Since I live in Cleveland and is the Northest of Ohio you'll ever get, I have a deep Northern Ohioan accent. It comes across as a "nasal type" sounding accent and of course I say "Pop" instead of "Soda". But since it is that type of accent, to many other United States citizens, we are mistaken not to have one. But in reality, we do. ;)

The other half of my family lives in Manhattan and because I used to hang around them when I was little, I have a sort of "New Yorker" accent. I use a lot of "gotta" instead of "have to" which I'm trying to change because here in Cleveland that sounds weird. :lol:

I know that we also seem to pronouce words a lot differently but I can never tell because I always think the way I say them is correct.

9. CrimeShark

CrimeShark Pathologist

I grew up in Australia, so I had a bit of an Australian accent then. But when I came my country Malaysia (where English is not the first language), I lost the accent. Then I lived in Scotland for a while, and I had a Scottish accent, but I only realised it when I came back to M'sia and spoke with my friends. My accent was so glaring then.

But now my Scottish accent is gone, and even though we learn British English here, I speak with an American accent, I think because I'm influenced by TV shows and movies and all that. Some people don't really like that I don't speak English with a Malaysian accent, and they say I'm showing off, but I can't help it! It's not like you can turn it off. At least *I* can't.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I second that..... :devil: :devil: :lol:

11. Synergy

Synergy Lab Technician

Hey CrimeShark - I know the feeling. Most people who meet me think I'm half-American or Eurasian or something...when I was a kid I phoned my aunt at her work and her colleague answered, and she asked my aunt - "Your niece is orang putih ah?"

The funny thing is, when I visit my cousin in Perth, I speak perfect English with not much accent. I only slip sometimes with a "lah" or "ah" and my cousin will laugh at me, but then I'll be back to English...

What can I say, I'm weird.

12. Charlie_da_CSI_fan

Charlie_da_CSI_fan Lab Technician

I feel the exact same way, I too live just outside Glasgow, when I talk and my friends talk I dont tend to notice a thick accent, but when I watch the tv I realise just how strong it can be :lol:! I love the way Northern Europeans speak e.g. Finland, Sweden, Norway, because when they speak English they have the nicest lilt/accent. Normally when I hear American accents on tv they are easy to decipher, but recently while watching news coverage of Hurricane Katrina its soo weird how strong the southern accent actually is, I find it hard to really understand it :eek:. I also love the Australian accent, its fun! :D

13. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

When I speak the Czech language (cuz 50% of me body is that :)) I have a strong country accent. It's not quite RP.. and people in Prague can't understand what I'm saying sometimes :lol:

14. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

I'm born and raised in Georgia (USA) and despite my Southern heritage I don't sound like Brenda Johnson (Closer) at all.

I'm not saying that Georgians don't sound like that! I kid you not, there are tons of people who sound far worse then her with the drawl. There are the heavy drawlers, those that have a slight drawl, and the non-existant drawlers. I fall into the non-existant drawl catigory.

My Dad says I watch too much T.V and picked up the 'Yankee accent' from there. Maybe so, but I know several relatives who are total couch potatoes and sound quite the opposite.

Overall --to put it shortly-- I sound mainly normal.

15. IeatEvidence

IeatEvidence Prime Suspect

This thread is cool.
    I'm from Buffalo and everyone tells me that i have a "hillbilly mixed with canadian" accent. I say things like
    "oot and aboot" instead of out and about, and "ya'll" instead of you all. I guess i get the canadian part from listening to alot of canadian radio and watching canadian tv.

But the "hillbilly" , i have no idea that came from. The farthest south i've been is new york city.