You Talk Funny!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BittenByTheWolfe, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

:D i am from ohio umm yeah so, much more needed said. :lol: j/k ;)

2. drkate

drkate Corpse

wow! this is sooo cool, all of these southern people! hehehe, your accents crack me up but they're awesome! i just watched 'to kill a mocking bird' today, and afterwards i was speaking in a southern accent with my mum... it was funny... i'm like... ATTTICUS!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm from Lithuania :D
    Anyone knows where it is? :D

Guess not... :lol:

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Yes I do...it's betwee Latvia, Poland and Belarus :p
    and of course there's that Kalingrad area :rolleyes:

*lives in Finland* :p so not far from here ;)
    It's great to get people from this side of the Europe too :)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Nice to know that not everyone thinks Lithuania is a part of Russia or something like that :lol: :D

6. wurlocke

wurlocke Lab Technician

Well, I don't live in the U.S. so I really don't know if I have an accent when I do speak english.

One thing pisses me off though. See, my best friend lived in Manchester most of her life, so she doesn't really speak our local language here in Bacolod, so I talk to her in english instead. I find that I express myself better in that language (coz trust me, if I tried to explain something in our local dialect, I'd suck at it). So when I end up talking in english with other people, they ask me 'Where'd you learn to speak english so well?'

Like duh?!?!?! I learnt it in school? Stupid question really!

7. coolcatz

coolcatz Head of the Swing Shift

what a neat thread. i grew up in the deep south, lived there for 30 years and most people, when they speak to me on the phone, think i'm from so california. go figure.

8. ford_prefect

ford_prefect CSI Level Two

I'm from Ohio, so I have a standard American accent.

9. TTHipFreak

TTHipFreak Coroner

I'm from Toronto. More or less. Born and raised. People ask me where I am from. They don't believe me when I say I live here. Apparently, I sound like I am from the States. Where is never specific. People say different places.

10. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

I'm from California, but I do have a little bit of a "hybrid" accent, partly from being around English/Irish relatives and friends, partly from living briefly in England...strangely enough people usually guess I'm from "back east"...::shrugs::

When I first moved to England one of my friends drove me to the post office (we were in a very small rural town) and he told me "Speak slowly, the people in there have likely never encountered an American before!" LOL...

But to this day, as many friends as I have in Texas (a LOT), I still find it easier to understand someone from Scotland than someone from Texas. I used to have a supervisor from Houston and I was constantly asking her to repeat herself...!

--Robin

11. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

I'm Dutch and I have a pretty harsh 'G', even for a Dutch one. (you know, it sounds like we're always spitting this up, the scraping sound in the back of yer throat). For the Dutch ones among us: I'm originally from the east - Achterhoek, which pretty much says it all: I talk like one of the people from Normaal :lol: No I don't, but I can (when I'm drunk), but I do have a slight accent.. and proud of it! I'm easily influenced with other accents.. my friend is from Rotterdam, so after a while I started talking like her as well.

As for English accents.. people say I have an Irish accent (I'm working on it!), some think I'm actually from Donegal (which makes sense, cuz that's where I am mostly when I'm in Ireland), this summer someone was convinced that I was from Cork :eek: I haven't been there since 2002!

I love the Manchester accent and Yorkshire accent.. and of course Scottish.. with their cute glottal stops.. *sighs* I could go on, you know...

12. CSIannalysse

CSIannalysse CSI Level Two

I'm british and live in a small town in Bedfordshire (east anglia area) sometimes I come out with the odd cornish accent (which NOBODY should want!) and when I moved to America (Maine) they asked me if I was from Australia. :rolleyes: :lol:.

My grampa is a Brummy, and usually I'm the one who has to translate for him with other people not from the Birmingham Area (ie. my brother). My little brother does in fact have an american accent (Maine) because we moved there when he was 4, so that was the dialect that he grew up with, and now that we're back in the UK, people keep asking him if he was born in the States. He and I are both Cornish! Plus his 'american ears' just don't understand heavy brummy accent.

My dad is Northern Irish, and whenever I go over to visiting my grandmother and the rest of my family I'm just like w.t.f.? are you saying?

When I lived in Scotland, I had a heavy Glaswegian accent, but I don't think I lived anywhere near Glasgow.

This is probably why when I was younger I had to go to speech therapy! I kept mixing up the accents so no-one knew what I was saying. :lol:

13. curtainonfloor

curtainonfloor Police Officer

I'm Australian, and have got a typical Aussie accent, even though i'm a first generation (my parents are Dutch)

i know i'm biased, but Aussie's have got the BEST accents, drawly, but not too much, not as nasally and sharp as the Americans, and pretty easy to understand. :D

14. Synergy

Synergy Lab Technician

I'm Malaysian, so I guess I have a Malaysian accent...(like, gee, DUH :rolleyes: )...

Here we use British pronunciation to pronounce words, but most people my age (and even those older than me) have been corrupted by American TV shows which air here, so most of us usually talk in a mixture of British and American pronunciation.

Also, since I'm malaysian, when I talk to my friends, we all have the Malaysian habit of adding the words "lah", "mah", "Kah", "meh" and other words like that to the end of our sentences.
    (Eg.: - I forgot to do my homework lah! Die ah!
    - I can't go online today leh, my mother won't let me.
    - Ceh, I thought you were talking about something else.)

And those are only a few sample sentences.

We also speak Manglish, which is Malaysian English...which means it's English with a few malay, Chinese, or other local languages thrown in. Not all the added words are good. Heh, it's always fun when you know how to swear in a different language. ;)

15. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

So would you speak Dutch at home?? :D Just curious.