You Talk Funny!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BittenByTheWolfe, Feb 21, 2005.

1. drkate

drkate Corpse

i have a mix between an australian, a british and an american accent because my parents are poms and talk like it too and i watch far too much american teleivision not to pick up a slight accent... its scary, at school, some people i was doing a group thing with said that i sounded american, i was like... okay then...

2. HollywoodVegasHottie

HollywoodVegasHottie Lab Technician

I'm an alto too, but I can sing higher than the sopranos!

Stupid choir teachers! Lol, it's been four years since he classified mme as an alto, so I might've grown out of the voice range. I think I'm more of a second soprano.

3. BittenByTheWolfe

BittenByTheWolfe CSI Level Three

You don't really grow out of a voice range, but you can stretch your range, which it sounds like you did. Embrace the fact that you can sing both alto and soprano, overall it can make you a better singer. And perhaps your choir teacher isn't being stupid. Now, I don't know the specifics of your choir, but I do know that alto sections sometimes have a tendency to not be as strong as they should be...maybe he's kept you there because you're needed. It happened to me plenty of times, my choir teacher would move me back and forth between soprano and alto as much as he needed (made it interesting come concert time when after each song he had to pause enough to give me time to walk back and forth :lol: )

Anyways, to drag this back on topic...to the one who mentioned that you can't not have an accent, that's true. However, I think what the people meant when they said that don't have an accent is that they have a straight accent, like you find in most news anchors or people in other media outlets.

4. HollywoodVegasHottie

Hehehehe, not having an accent reminds me of Ben Stein! :lol: He's the guy from the eye drop commercial.

5. Woozy

Woozy Pathologist

I think when most people think of the English accent they think the BBC English, which is a London one, & is very proper. It was what was only spoken on the radio & TV at first because people thought that it would be the only one people could understand :lol: which I suppose could be true!

6. drkate

drkate Corpse

very proper english accents crack me up! my great aunt is like that and whenever she calls us i always laugh caus of her accent...

7. Nik

Nik CSI Level One

Woozy: That's also why they chose the "Midwestern" accent in the U.S. (not that everyone in the midwest talks like that).

And it's true that you have to be careful what part of a country accents on television are from. People from the southeast and northeast in the U.S. have problems understanding each other sometimes, just SOMETIMES. (I know this because I take calls from around the country at both of my part-time jobs. I just say, "What? I didn't understand what you said. I think we have a bad connection." until they point out they can't understand my accent, then I let them know the fact that the connection is between their state and mine is the problem! *L*)

8. Guest

Guest Guest

(robotic voice)

I-am-from-western-Canada. I-speak-standard-English.

(/robotic voice)

Apparently, the standard accent of any language is defined by the fact that all variants of the language can understand it, even if those that speak the standard can't understand them. :p

It's like this: The king speaks to the peasant and is understood. But the king cannot for the life of him understand the peasant.

9. csinut

csinut Lab Technician

I never, ever thought I had a Boston accent until I moved to the suburbs and the people in my high school told me they loved my accent-and this was only about 50 miles from Boston!

10. HollywoodVegasHottie

I can't understand those hip-hop & rap people. I once got into a conflict with some hip-hop girls and they were yelling at me in all hip-hoppityness and I just stood there all flabbergasted. :lol: All of them were yelling at once (very loudly) and the only thing that I understood after two minutes of yelling was "Oh no you di-int" "Oh, oh, it's on" and "You boutsa be served"

Some of them talk so illiterate that it gets me worried sometimes. :rolleyes:

11. beautiful_loser

beautiful_loser Pathologist

I sometimes talk like that mockingly--VERY mockingly, when talking about--other people and their relationships. LOL--when I was in Niagara Falls, I went to the Imax theatre with a friend (Friend...IF ya know what I mean lol), and he was standing beside some people from Buffalo, and they were checking out the schedule, and one of them said "Hey Tony, get ova here!" And I just--couldn't contain myself. I called to him that I'd left something in the car, but the both of us went running to laugh--by the car.

Does that make me a bad person? LOL

12. HollywoodVegasHottie

That doesn't make you a bad person! It's just...I'm one of those freaky English teachers sometimes. For example, I always get mad when people say mischievious instead of mischievous, when people say "woof" instead of "wolf", or when people say "poyim" instead of "poem".

HIZZLE FOR SHIZZLE CAN YA DIG IT MY NIZZLE???

:confused: Uh...sure...got a shovel? :lol:

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm Welsh, but my accent's pretty weak. A combination of an English mother and listening to American music. I love women with a Southern American drawl. Let's just say it does something to me lol

14. stripforensics

stripforensics Judge

You're not alone, lol, I love them too. Calleigh's accent...*drool*

15. awesomeredhead

awesomeredhead CSI Level Two

I'm from Georgia... so I guess ya know what I sounded like for most of my life! LOL. I worked pretty hard to rid myself of my southern accent because I am an actress. But I can turn it on and off. When I'm acting (or any time it matters - castings, auditions, casting directors and agents, etc.), I have a neutral accent, but in general conversation, you can definately tell if I don't turn it off! Kinda like Julia Roberts.