You know you're (insert nationality here) when...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Roka4csi, Oct 5, 2006.

1. SA_Kate_937

SA_Kate_937 Police Officer

Wow, and thanks I always get told I talk too much=P

I feel sorry for the muslims, its like descrimination here..
    'We're all equal!' And yet we still get descriminated against, whether you are white or black, muslim or indian. You get criticized for different reasons....

Tis actually quite sad. I am gonna go live in either Europe or the USA because I don't think I could live here with all of this while I am anadult, but I might come back here later in life...Tis a beautiful country=)

You gonna stay in Lebenon?(sp?)

2. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

:eek: Move to the USA or Europe? I would rather die. :D
    I lived in New York my whole life, and trust me, Muslims rights aren't protected in America either :lol: You can get arrested just for havin alot of money and being Lebanese. (happened to 3 families I know). And Europe is no place for Muslims. I'm staying in Lebanon, going to reform my own country rather than slave away for America my whole life and get stabbed in the back. Okay so I'm patriotic and I poke fun at my country. Big deal :lol:

Shoes:
    -Every Lebanese male must own a pair of pointy shoes. Wear them with anything and everything.
    -Girls should never wear sneakers except during gym, guys don't find sneakers very attractive - and you can't get their attention if you're in sneaks.
    -Its okay to go out in your slippers, especially if you're a cab driver.

3. Sidle71

Sidle71 Victim

You like the South African accent!!?? Thats awesome! I have never had a problem with my roots or my accent but i get really annoyed when south africans are portrayed in movies because they all seem to have this heavy afrikaans accent?? its confusing to me? it would be fine if the character was actually afrikaans speaking but its seems to just be a generalisation now! anyway, now i'm talking to much...

4. madgeorge

madgeorge Coroner

YAY! Finally someone else from South Africa. Or in my case, quasi-South African

I live in Canada, but my parents are from South Africa(they moved when my mom found out she was pregnant, not wanting to raise me there due to crime etc.) and I love the culture, and my friends think the language is funny.

I personally love the accent. I don't notice it on my dad anymore(my mom doesn't have it, she has English parents and never picked it up.) but everyone who meets him tells me that it's REALLY thick. So I don't know, maybe I'm crazy.

5. SA_Kate_937

Nah, you're not talking too much=P
    But, I agree. The general South African English Accent is what they should speak, you know and they always sound like Aftrikaaners. I mean, yeah, there are Afrikaaners here but you get people like me who ahve an South African English Accent. I wish they would use that accent.
    Hehe, now I'm talking too much=P

I love my accent and since I am most probably ahve spent 18 years here by the time I leave (or it might be 16 if my mother gets her way...) so I hope I always have an English South African Accent because I could never see it as any other way=)

By the way, South Africa is cool but I am sure that you feel soo much more safe in Canada. I know I would.

And also, yay! for quasi-South Africans!

6. Sidle71

Sidle71 Victim

Hey Madgeorge!! My quasi-countryman! Its good to meet you! I must just say that i have always wanted to visit Canada! I had a friend go up for her sisters wedding and it looks like an amazing country! Really beautiful!

Its funny though, cause alot of the time people say they want to emmigrate and thats fine, but out of the times i have been away, i have just always wanted to come back. i think no matter where i go i will always feel that this is my home!! And i think thats true for everyone! Do your parents miss it at all?

Oh and you know you're South African when...you can pretty much buy your monthly groceries at a traffic intersection! Everything from cell phone accessories to super glue to garbage bags and of course the ever popular coat hangers!

7. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

Sidle71 said:

That's the problem with society, the whole generalisation issue. All Arabs are terrorists, all British teens have sex by 15, the American public does nothing but drink and party, girls can not do anything half as good as males can. It's all a bunch of crap and it's found in every society. Truth of the matter is, your accent is absolutely beautiful (okay so maybe that's my opinion but oh well :lol:). I think what makes a nation more beautiful is the language or the way the language is spoken, and South Africans speak so beautifully, I swear you could curse and I would find it poetic :lol:.
    And no you're not talking too much, why does everyone always think they're talking too much. When you start talking too much, I'll be mean about it and let you know. :lol: (if you were talking in real life where I could hear your accent, I would put make sure all you ever do is talk too much :lol:).

Food

- Your breakfast always consists of labneh (basically some dried yogurt, they drain all the water from it and it becomes thicker so you can spread it on bread), zaytoun (olives), zaatar (grinded thyme) and jebne (cheeeeeese) :D:D. With a bit of olive oil.
    - You can't have breakfast, lunch, or dinner, (and in Ramadan shour) without tea.

8. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

(On vacation/Talking to people outside northern Europe)

You know you're german when stragers ask you about "Bratwurst & Kraut" and all kinds of bavarian foods and customs that you've never even heard of.

You know you're german when you know at least 3 people (not necessarily personally) who have been on a talk show. If not as guest then at least in the audience.

You know you're german when you're familiar with the WOK-WM.

You know you're german when you want to travel somewhere by train and it runs at least an hour late.

9. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

Something I just noticed:

You know you're Lebanese when:
    - Anytime someone is rude to you, you assume it's because you're Arab.

10. Mini_Catherine

Mini_Catherine CSI Level One

^ Are you serious? That's really gay. I'm rude to you all the time, and I'm sure you know it's because you're you, not because you're Arab. I just don't like you, is all. (joke. me and rok are TIIITTE! - that's tight, not tite :) ) You know I'm not racist, I'm just.. ME!

Joke, joke, joke. I love you, girl.. guy.. he/she. Whatever. I love you, loove you love you! Kay?

You know you're a Newfoundlander when:
    - you take a trip to Florida, and when everyone there's in sweaters and long pants, you're in a bikini swimming in the ocean.
    - you take a trip to England, and when it starts to snow and everyone runs inside to get changed/warm, you run around in a t-shirt, 'cause to you, well, it's warm!

11. SA_Kate_937

Wow, roka that is really nice, although I know you're talking to Sidle71.
    I really do not liek generalizations, like everyone thinks that just because I'm a girl, I am going to be prancing around in short skirts excetera, when I have a strong dislike of skirts and dresses. Tis all soo....annoying!!

And everyone thinks they are talking too much because they generally are, like me!:)

I am also loving my accent.:)

12. Roosey

Roosey Captain

SA_Kate_937, I love S-A! Do you speak Dutch too?

You know you're Dutch when new movies are always late.

13. saras_girlfriend

saras_girlfriend Coroner

You know you're Dutch when your train never arrives on time.

14. SA_Kate_937

I speak what would be called a lesser form of Dutch, which is Afrikaans. It is kind of like, simple Dutch......I think. *tries to remember what her Afrikaans teacher told her*
    or something like that, so I basically sort of speak Dutch...I guess. I don't actually know..hmm *contemplates*

15. madgeorge

madgeorge Coroner

Afrikaans is like bastardized Dutch. My parents and I went to the Netherlands and my dad was speaking Afrikaans to everyone and they could understand him perfectly. It was quite funny.

And yeah, Canada is pretty safe, but I live near Toronto, and Toronto has it's share of scariness. I mean, we have crazies like Paul Bernardo running around.

But yeah, Canada is beautiful. We have wonderful lakes, rivers, mountains, and beautiful cities.

My cousin came to visit from SA last Christmas and she was really surprised and pretty scared of a lot of things. She almost peed her pants when I suggested that we take the train to Toronto, because apparently the only time she ever took the train before she was mugged at knifepoint. It took a while for her to realise that here, the train is one of the most common methods of transport.

She was also surprised that at my school, the teachers are on almost as many drugs as the students. And she was very afraid of my goth friends, especially when one of them tried to hug her.

It was a real wake-up call.