World Cup 2006 and Other Football Stuff #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, the coaches I like are Mexico, Germany and Portugal (reminds me of Gene Hackman). Have no idea how good they are as coaches (well some idea). I know. I'm shallow.

I haven't been watching til the quarter finals so I probably missed some.

I do feel sorry for the Aussies. I think they should have tried to take the game to the Italians more though, once Italy were down to 10 men. They almost looked scared to go forward. They missed Kewell. :(

It was a shame Lucas Neill went to ground. Grosso 'fell' over Neill's body and forced the ref to make the decision. Unfair yes, but though it sounds harsh, Neill should have stayed on his feet. Once the ref was forced into making a decision, it was 50/50. Some refs give penalties for that kind of thing, some don't. Unfortunately for Australia, this ref fancied an early night. :rolleyes:

Yeah, in a way, I agree...the decision the ref had to make was depending on the position where he was standing. And also, what kind of criteria he has, although that wasn't a penalty, but unfortunately, refs' don't have little tv sets with them who replay the actions over and over again. :D

The ref made aanother mistake earlier when he gave Materazzi his red card and that probably influenced his decision about the penalty also.

It's a shame that we're talking about the refs' every day...this world cup whould already become irregular because of them.

well, I 'm really sorry for Australia... again a ref mistake...

Tomorrow : Brasil- Ghana !

and I can't wait to see france - Spain !!!

but you cant commit a foul if your already on the ground, thats what the commentators were talking about, he went down to get the ball, which he did, and then the italian fell over him, if anything it should have been a yellow card to him for diving and acting like a fool.

it was fucked, i think the aussies should have appealed, or done whatever you can do in a bullshit situation like that, i mean at the time in the match, there was 15 seconds left for fucks sake, and the actual foul that was caused was the first one which was outside the penalty area.

its fucked!!!

fed square (where there was like 30,000 aussies watching on big screens) starting chanting bullshit bullshit for like 20 mins, and running around screaming and yelling, and i dont blame them.

we got shit refs in a our games, ARGH :mad: and i bet the effing italians will all have big heads going round going on about oh we won and we only had 10 men for half the game blah blah, yes but you seemed to have payed the ref at half time, stupid fucks :mad:

heartagram69 said:
but you cant commit a foul if your already on the ground, thats what the commentators were talking about,

What do you mean; a player cannot commit a foul if he's on the ground? Of course he can. This wasn't necessarily the case, but it doesn't make a difference who is the first one to fall down.

Now, this is interesting!!! SHOVKOVSKYI vs. ZUBERBUEHLER! I love this!!! It happens rarely, but this is the most exciting part of a football match!

And Shovkovskyi did it all!!! He saved his team with his bare hands...better to say: his hands with gloves on them! Really nice!

Finally, the game is over! :rolleyes: *sighs in relief* it was soo boring and i wrote before i hate penalty shootouts.
I'm sorry for Switzerland, they were not bad.
I think they will do pretty good in two years. ;)

*sigh* You know, I wouldn't have been half as annoyed if Italy had scored that goal anytime during the match...it wasn't that Italy won that annoyed me because I was half expecting it, but to quash the hopes and dreams of a nation in the last 3 seconds because of yet another stupid ref call...well, thats just cruel...

Well, maybe if we get back in 4 years time, we'll actually get a decent ref :rolleyes:

ukraine woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon

yyyyeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

JayneEmilysRealm said:
You're absolutely right there Pusher, it was the ref who spoiled the game. I have nothing against Portugal or the Portuguese, the ref just made it into a tough game on both sides. :(
Thank you! I was feeling kinda of bad... :(

And thanks, Hormiga.

Actually, I was wondering something...did it ever happen that the ref whistles the penalty near the end, but whistles the end of the match before the player shoots it, because the time ran out?

I know this happens with corners, so I was wondering...

And it's interesting that Switzerland technicaly hasn't received a goal in this WC.

Frenchycharly said:
well, I 'm really sorry for Australia... again a ref mistake...

Tomorrow : Brasil- Ghana !

and I can't wait to see france - Spain !!!

Hello Frenchy ! i'm french too and tomorrow, it's gonna be a hard match but Spain never won against us and Zizou is back ! yeah :D
Sorry for Italy's fans but they didn't deserve to win this match :mad: I'm so sad for Australia !

Yes, good call. Very unfortunate for the Aussies but mainly bacause, as you insightfully said, they failed to take the game to the Azzuri, especially when they had a 1-man advantage. Strange because the Asussies had been so brilliantly attack minded in the previous matches. I believe the stats show that the Aussies had the better of possession and attcking oppottunities in this match but simply couldn't convert. Even Hiddink bemoaned this lack of killer instinct and ability to finish.

You cannot fault the Azzurri's defensice tactics. Italian blockade as per their usual approach. It's disappointing and woeful that their attacking options and missed opportunities were way off base. As for the penalty decision, again a 50-50 because the ref's hand was forced by the situation. As you said, Neill going to ground and staying there was also unfortunate. With that said, Totti was exactly the person they needed to take the penalty. Nerves of steel and a wealth of experience to call upon, that one.

The Aussies have had a really decent run in thie competition which is, I believe, is their best showing yet at this Competition. It's a testament to their growing self-belief as a bona fide footballing nation. So Bravo! to them and their supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back