William Petersen To Take A Break From 'CSI'

I was wondering, after hearing that Gris was going to take a break, if maybe little by little he would just fade away. A couple episodes gone then another one he would be in it only for a couple of minutes. They would feel that we wouldn't miss him, well we would miss him more than anyone knows. You will find that if he leaves none of the other actors will be any good because they need Gris to feed them their lines and actions. He is the perfect foil for each one of them. Like Abbott and Costello, Gris is the one that makes the others good. The better they are then that means he has pushed them into being better. He has magic in just his looks and actions with others. They need his knowledge of just how to bring out their best. With him gone, if he will be, there will be no one there to help each of them. Just wait and see if that isn't true if he does leave. And I won't watch the show any more if he leaves because it will all be gone nothing left at least for me. Just think about the time Gris found the toupee on the tracks and he turned around and said to Nick that the vic may be bald. Nick said thanks that will help me distinguish which one when I find two heads. Gris turned around and gave him that look that just made Nick a great actor.

I certainly wish Grissom won't fade away! I've been watching old episodes, where he was doing a wonderful supervising job. He was aware of each case his CSIs were working on, going from one place to another and, in so doing, taking us with him from one scene to another. I miss that. He was present for them, he was helping them in his own way, and yes, he encouraged them to think "outside the box". He really was a great teacher in these episodes.

I understand that WP can be bored after 7 years of doing the same things over and over again. I can only hope his "break" will rekindle his love for the show so we can enjoy his presence for a long time afterwards. A couple of minutes of WP screetime is not enough for me, I need him more! Now, how about another Jackpot? ;)

Well, they said (there were rumours) he'd leave after season seven. This may be a confirmation of the rumour, but let's hope for the William Petersen-fans that he won't leave. I'm not a fan of him, not at all, but I hope he stays. He's the power behind CSI, kind of. :)

On the other side, I hope he gets few screentime this season. I think I've seen him too long and I hope we'll get to see more of the other characters. I haven't seen lots of Greg. I want to know what makes him Greg. But I probably have to be in another thread for this.

I was watching 'Ellie' from S2 last night. The one where Grissom puts Warrick in charge of the shift while he and Catherine aren't there.
Just the bit at the end when he's having the conversation with Warrick.
Grissom "Remember when I told you that I was a ghost at school? When I leave CSI, there won't be any cake in the break room, I'll just be gone."

Heh, maybe even back then he was trying to set us up for his departure!

Of course, given the Grissom/Sarah stuff that happened in the finale, what does it mean for their relationship if Grissom is being written off the show? (and add that to the list of why I hate it when TPTB do 'ships on the show)

^^^ Not mine. ;)

Still, usually when writers finally give fans what they think they want, that's when the end is near...

I want grissom there ... hope he will be ausent for few episodes !!! If grissom isnt there the romance with sarah cant conntinue =(

I would personally rather have NO SHIP than a season or two - or three without WP. Seriously.

Oh God. I just had a horrible thought.

What if this turns into another ER? I watch ER, so this isn't techincally a bashing...

One by one all the main characters leave and are replaced by people we don't know... if you stop watching for half a season, you come back and don't know anyone anymore. AH!

You have one or two devoted original actors and everyone has only been around for two seasons...

Imagine Greg in Grissom's place (GO GREGGO!!) being followed around by his minions (AKA 3 people that aren't part of the cast now plus Hodges doing field work) and the rest of the team having transferred out of Vegas and they are never spoken to or about EVER AGAIN.

Oh holy crap. Is anyone else worried?

*sigh*

Oh holy crap. Is anyone else worried?

I'll only worry about the show becoming another ER when they start focusing on the characters and the ships more than the cases.

The problem is, it's inevitable that actors will want to move on. Standard contracts for new shows are usually 5 to 7 years long. After that, many actors will want to find other work to avoid being only seen as that one character.

That's what happened with ER. Actors left and others had to be brought in to replace them. The problem with ER as I saw it was that they brought in a whole bunch of new people, but only focused on a few and neglected others (and yes, I'm still bitter about Dr. Dave being one of the neglected ones)

Unfortunately, as time goes by, a show has only 2 options. Either bring in new characters, or just stop when the original characters want to leave. WP is the only one that we've heard of that is leaving, but I'm guessing that all the others will have contracts up for renewal as well.

Ok yeah, I understand that, I do. However, I'm not worried about it stopping - I'm worried about them using the name and the concept but none of the actual characters.

If the actors want to leave, then let them leave - let them not be labeled forever as the CSI team - that's all good. I could *probably* learn to live with that. But I don't want them to drag the show out for 6 more seasons with none of the original cast left.

I stopped watching ER when I turned it on one night and finally realized I didn't know any of the character's names until they were said. And that depressed me.

I don't think that the show needs to be all about the characters - it's a wonderful show with a great concept and it's very entertaining to watch, but the characters as they are make it good in a way that I don't think they could pull off if they changed characters (or actors).

I'm not saying we have to worry about it... I'm just saying I hope it never happens. :( If they want to leave, then please please please TPTB - Let the show rest before you destroy it.

*sigh* [/mostrecentrant]

Yes they said he would be back in February but for how long a permanent basis or is this just the first of a series of off and on come and go times. Then finally the last time will be the last time and he will be gone. The show will die then because everyone needs him to lead into them to them the actors that they are. None of the other characters can lead another charactor to the part that makes them the best. Only Griss can do that. If anyone would only watch one show and see how many times with a smile or a look or even a nod he feeds that person making them so much better. It is in every single show that he is in. He just has that knack and knows what to do with a gesture. If he leaves there is no one else but Grissom.

orgasmicbilly said:
i cant believe you just said that!!!!!

if grissom leaves i will not watch csi:vegas anymore it would be totally heartbreaking!!!!!

Agreed! If he leaves, it will be OVER! They will never find a replacement because no one can replace him.
just thinking about it makes me wanna cry!!!

I am going to be really selfish now and think only of me. I hope also that Griss gets only a few opportunities to act in other plays. I hope the directors understand what he is to CSI and how it can't go on without his talent. Thus they will tell him, "I am sorry we have nothing for you at this time you are too badly needed to hold CSI together. Come talk to us in the future when CSI is no longer the hit that it is now. Selfish yes but very true. There can never be another Grissom no matter who they might put in his place. It would just be impossible without him.

I'll miss seeing Grissom, but if Billy does end up leaving. then this will be away to prepare for it.

Back