William Petersen To Take A Break From 'CSI'

For the record, they are talking about two episodes. That's nothing. It's not like he's gone for half of the season.

True, but it could be a sign of things to come.
But sure didn't we already get an ep in S6 where Grissom wasn't around? Granted, I know it wasn't intentional, what with WP's family crisis. But they've done it before. And in fact, haven't most of the characters missed an episode here and there already?

yea, the rest of cast could carry it without him, but who would want to? WE LOVE GRISSOM and want him to stay!

it really bothers me when people flat out say they wont watch the show and it will get cancelled if grissom leaves. honestly, it has become very much an ensemble cast over the years, give them a little credit. especially in this last season i would say some of the others have outshone billy in their roles and more than made up for his absence in the episodes that have little or no grissom.
for me, every character is what makes the show special. from grissom and the other csis, to the detectives, to the lab techs, the victims and killers. i like grissom being on the show, but the cast is so talented i really believe they can hold their own. and for the record, id feel the same way if it was george eads leaving ;)

^^^ And in addition to that, why did you all start watching in the first place? I didn't start watching it because William Petersen was in, to be frank. I've thoroughly enjoyed his performance (as well as most everyone else's) throughout the series, but it wasn't like I saw CSI come out and I thought, "Wow! William Petersen's in this? I'm totally watching it!" :lol: Sorry, I don't mean to demean his fans at all, I'm just trying to add a little perspective. :)

WP leaving would not make me stop watching the show. I mean, I love Grissom, but he's not the main reason I watch the show.
Nick has been my main reason for watching the show since S1. Back when there was the whole 'they're fired, no they're not' debacle, my local station was only partway through season 4. I watched the episode they aired before GE and JF were rehired...but I remember not being able to enjoy it as much as usual, and coming to the realization that if Nick wasn't going to be on the show, I wasn't going to be watching (not even the remaining episodes that he was.

I know there's people who feel that way about WP/Grissom, but while I'll be a little saddened if he leaves, I'll still continue to watch.

Baba You sound like my daughter- we've had tit-ta-tats and heated discussions on this very topic- she and my son-in-law- watched the show-for the show-- not the characters-- she's not at all interested in the subject- and can't believe people are so "hyped" on him- :(- my grandaughter says "he's fat and ugly" so I slap her- Just kidding- :lol: she likes Johnny Depp-so their actually not watching CSI anymore- watch 'My Name Is Earl" and "The Office" instead-much too my chagrin :( said they got tired of the same old same old- but back to WP- not the whole world of CSI fans do tune in to watch him- just the WP fanatics-- :DI love the whole cast- the best on TV to me- thier all fantastic- but to me he has the edge--the glue-so to speak-that holds this fabulous show together-

csiinblacksmall2.jpg

Well on a lighter note I hope the charater they are having come in is one that will not make it like.....IDK the show different because there are pleaty of ways it can do that and then when Grissom comes back to find his lab.......working differently that will just suck :(.....but I am wondering who they are going to use??? :)

I'm probably about to set the fox loose in the hen house but...

For the GSR fans ... what did you expect to happen when your "Dream" of getting Gil and Sara together as a couple actually happened?

He is her Supervisor and, as such, any 'relationship' beyond a purely professional one or an off-duty platonic one is - in my law enforcement experience - FORBIDDEN. If they (Gil and Sara) were to 'get serious' about their relationship, one would be required by (most) department policies to move to another shift, or department, or even resign/retire from The Job. Bet you thought, since this is a Hollywood thing, that 'real life' couldn't possibly intrude. That Grissom and Sidle would be able to play patty-cakes off duty and still work on the same shift together. Sorry, that just doesn't happen in 'real life' and if CSI's writers and producers take the show in that direction... they may lose more viewers than they'd want to admit to.

Possible solution: Gil and Sara get serious, he resigns his commission while Sara stays in the lab - she's younger and he's close to 'retirement' age - and Grissom could still be 'on call' as a Special Consultant to the LVMPD Crime Lab, when his special skills with bugs are needed.

Just giving ya'll something to chew on there.

Personally, I seem to recall Petersen talking about leaving the show back before CSI:Miami even debuted. I also seem to recall reading (somewhere) that he misses the stage and the work there, so I'm not all that surprised that he's wanting to return to the stage. Less pressure, even though stage-work can be a right pain in the butt, and I seem to recollect that Billy has been treated in the past for hypertension related illnesses. Give the man a break, he's a great actor, but he is NOT the reason I watch the show. I watch it for the science, the cool special effects and the odd-ball story lines the writers throw at us viewers once in a while.

Out...

Its only a few episodes, its not like that hasnt happened before. And as far as Petersen leaving for good, theres been a lot of talk about that for a long time, but the new season comes around and hes still there, so I wont think about him leaving until he leaves.

Although there will be a gaping hole without him; Grissom is the heart and soul of the team and to me, the most interesting, intriguing character on TV. But in the meantime, we shouldnt be in panic mode just yet.

Oh, and since this is my first official post here on this site, Id like to add....GRISSOM/SARA WOO HOO!

If he want to take a break from it, take a vacation then come back refresh. I don't want Grissom to leave, he is my second favorite, Nick is my first favorite. I just love the guy, I don't know why and I can't explains, just something about him.

I remember one episode I can't remember which one, when Warrick say to Grissom, "I'm not a robot like you or something." Grissom was hurt, I can tell he was hurt when Warrick say that. He does got feeling, he doesn't show it much. Look at my banner.

And again, this isnt like hes taking a break because hes just needs it or anything, his hands are tied from his theater commitments; totally understandable.

I know that, I don't know why I said that, I know he has a commitments to theater and I don't want no one take his place in Feb. sweep. If you don't understand what I'm saying, read TV guide for this week.

ITA. it seems sort of stupid to bring in a "big name" for 2 eps... at least tptb said that's all Billy will miss. They're probably trying to think ahead.

I've finally come to terms with the fact that he'll leave eventually so I try not to dwell on it anymore. I doubt he ever expected to spend 7 years of his life being one character, something that has to be a bit of a drag for a theatre actor who delights in the diversity of characters he does. He's probably looking forward to being challenged again.

I'll watch as long as the show interests me, but I have to admit Billy is the reason I've stayed with it for so long. In the end I'll feel fortunate that we've had Grissom as long as we have. :rolleyes:

m'kay. So. *sobs*

I have been dreading this from the moment I heard he hadn't resigned his contract after season 7. The beginning of the end.

I love CSI - love it to death! And will cry like a baby the day that it comes to an end. I mean come on people, I cried when CHARMED ended; and that show just went right down the crapper.

Anyway. CSI. Right. I don't want it to end a moment sooner then it absolutely HAS to. And honestly, I know the rest of the gang can keep the show wonderful if he decides he's done. After all, It's the show and the science and the team dynamic that make me love it so much to begin with.

But Grissom IS CSI. He is the ring leader, or you know, imho. I mean really, sorry ya'll but that is how I feel. He's the original design. *sigh*

Like Mulder and the X-Files. I loved the show with a passion that could only be rivaled by this show. And then DD left. No more Mulder. The show went straight for my 'ah, it's alright that my VCR didn't record. I'll get over it' list. I still watched it, I even enjoyed it sometimes, but I didn't LOVE it anymore. By the time it finally ended, I was ready to take it out and shoot it myself.

And I don't want that to happen to CSI.

Besides, I would miss WP like some sort of obsessed fan or something... *whistles*

It just makes me sad you know? I do understand why he'd want to leave, and I'd support him in that decision. And I can't say I'd stop watching, I just don't know if I'd enjoy it as much. And that makes me sad.

Gum Drops was one of my all time favorite episodes - of all CSI time - and it was Grissom Free. I didn't even notice that he wasn't there. But I think after so many weeks, I'd miss him to much to forget that he was once there.

I dunno. I hate the fact that I have to even think about this.

JUST STAY!

Back