William Petersen To Take A Break From 'CSI'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Jul 26, 2006.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

In the July 31 - Aug 6 issue of TV Guide, CSI executive producer <font color=yellow>Carol Mendelsohn</font> revealed star <font color=yellow>William Petersen</font> is taking a break from the show.

The actor, who plays front-man Gil Grissom, will be absent from CSI for a couple of episodes due to professional commitments. Petersen, an avid theatre fan, will be busy this fall in Providence starring in Trinity Repertory Company's stage production of <font color=yellow>Conor McPherson'</font>s A Dublin Carol.

The writers have already penned down a storyline that'll help explain Grissom's absence. According to Mendelsohn, this plot will, "push Grissom to an emotional place, requiring a sabbatical of sorts."

To absorb the impact of Petersen's absence, however, the producers plan to cast a big-name guest star to fill in Grissom's vacancy. These Grissom-free episodes will air during January, and the actor will be back just in time for February sweeps.

Pick up the July 31 - Aug 6 issue of TV Guide to read the original article. Thanks to <font color=yellow>Toots</font> in the message boards for the transcript.<center></center>

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

And so it begins...

Big bad Bill is definitely on his way out.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Well not exactly on his way out. maybe it is a good thing he is leaving so they can see what it is like without Gil just incase he dose leave and how the show will carry without the "Bug-Man". :devil: :devil: I am fasinated about how they are going to explain the absents on Gil??? :eek:

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Don't they think the rest of the cast can carry the show without him there? Why do they feel the need to bring in a 'big name'? :rolleyes:

5. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Yes, that's annoying me too. I know there'll be a lot of viewers who won't tune in if they know it's not going to be a Grissom ep, but do TPTB really think they can hang on to them just by casting a big name?

Of course now i'm wondering if the 'big name' will be replacing Grissom in the lab or just WP on the show.

6. GrissomFREAK

GrissomFREAK CSI Level Two

Of course they can't.
    Nobody will replace Grissom, because nobody will be able to fill WP's shoes :p

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is the beginning of the end, I'm afraid. Shoot. I miss him sooo much when he's not there.Well, anyway we knew this would happen one day or another, it was just a matter of time. It still sucks though :p ;)

7. orgasmicbilly

orgasmicbilly Lab Technician

nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    we want grissom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

Unfortunately I think exactly the same.... :(

9. orgasmicbilly

who is big bad bill????

10. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

That's exactly what i thought: the fact he won't be there will be a gift for the characters who didn't have a lot of screentime last season. Now adding a "big name" will only "eat" the screentime of the others :rolleyes:

oh and "big bad bill" is Billy Petersen ;)

11. orgasmicbilly

ohhhh rite
    *slapps self round face*

how did i not know who big bad bill was!!!!

damn me!!!!

i think it will do billy good to do somthing different for a change i mean he has been doing csi for like 7 years!!

LONG LIVE GRISSOM!!!!

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Nooooooo. Way?? We need Grissom!!!

13. cofi_shot

cofi_shot Captain

Hmmm that's an interesting theory.

I'm thinking that if ever they do put someone else in the lab it would have to be a completely opposite character from Grissom. I agree that no one else can replace WP from playing Grissom, but I think the character of Grissom is replaceable. I love him and all but I'm also capable of loving other characters like Mac from NY. So if ever they bring someone else totally not Grissom, I think it would be easier to take that in.

Nobody shoot me. LOL.

14. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

It's not such a surprise to see him on his way out. He's been talking about it for almost a year now. It's sad that he has to go, because a lot of the show depends on our lovable 'bug' guy. And it'll probably be harder for me to accept a new cast member because Billy has been there for so long. It just won't be the same show.

I'm sure the show will carry on without him, and the ratings will stay the way they are. Personally, I don't see CSI getting past season 8 without Grissom, no matter how dynamic the cast is.

15. goreshi

goreshi Rookie

No Gil?? for csi???..gee...this will be weird :eek:.."big name"?? who??? I've got no idea ....but what will happen to Gil and Sara's relationship??? duh... :rolleyes: