Will the REAL Danny Messer Please Stand Up?

ThumpyG said:
Don't get me wrong, I still think that he is one sexy man and I would love to get a piece of that action, :lol: even if he has matured. That will never change! ;)
I think that goes without saying. While the character isn't as attractive to me as he was, it's all relative. The character is boring me, but I wouldn't kick the guy who plays him outta bed. ;) If Danny were real, I wouldn't kick him outta bed either. No one wants all that hot-headed drama in real life. Mellow Danny would be a smarter choice for a girl. It's just that tempermental Danny provided better entertainment value and that's the reason for tuning in each week.

And as far as any negativity on characters and character development, I don't think that everyone here is negative, per se, it is just how people percieve it to be negative. I see it objectively and it being ones opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether it be pro or con. That is what the greatest debates are made of: opposing opinions, and objectiveness, on both sides. I just do not understand why people are getting so sensitive about anothers OPINION. These are fictional characters, not real people that we are discussing here.
Well stated. We are discussing perceived changes in a fictional character. No one intends to be negative. We are simply stating what we initially found most attractive about Danny and how that's changed. What makes this place fun is that not everyone shares the same opinion. We've heard from one person who likes mellow Danny better and others who think he should mature over time. That's all great. That's the purpose of having a discussion thread. Another purpose is that the writers sometimes read these threads. If you like/don't like something, stating your opinion can be helpful to them in terms of seeing what viewers like in the show. Our opinions may not always matter, but if someone feels strongly about something, they should voice that opinion. And when that opinion is less than glowing, no one should take it personally or think this is a negative place to come. It's an opinion on a fictional character. Nothing more.

Yes you are correct. They are just fictional characters. I just was making an observation. :) I realize the writers are gonna take a character where they want to. Who knows....they might even surprise us and have us saying....OH now I get it. :rolleyes: That is why things were they way they were with that character. You know, I will continue watching wherever they end up taking all the characters. It's just good to know there are people who actually like discussing this particular show. I love discussing Grey's Anatomy, however, that is just with co-workers. Not for this area. Anyway, I enjoy reading everyones options even if I disagree or even agree with any. You guys make the week go bay so much faster. Thanks!

Will the real Danny Messer stand up. I repeat, will the real Danny Messer stand up? We're gonna have a problem here...

Ok, jokes aside I must admit that this post is gonna be a toughie 'cause everyone basically summed out what I wanted to say so bear with me if something sounds similar.

It seems like someone has injected Danny with this mood changing drug during the hiatus. The once passionate, fiery man has basically turned into a lapdog. The man who use to shine in the spotlight has slowly faded & burned out into the background. His personality has changed, but not for the better. The Danny Messer I once swooned over, the one who took nothing from nobody has backed down. To him getting turned down for a slice of pizza is worse then getting stood up when honestly, getting stood up is far more of a bad thing. He had no problem telling people what he thought but now it seems like he gets let others run his life. One of his best moments, & episodes mind you, had to be On the Job. He had his emotions firing from every angle & despite what Mac told him he did what he thought was right. This season he appears to be one dimensional & boring. I mean, he flat out turned down a date with that SG girl. The real Danny would've said yes, gone out for a drink & just let loose. However, this season's Danny said no. Danny needs to find someone who he can phyiscally & emotionally connect with on a level. He needs someone who is like him so the old spark can come back. Even though he & Aiden were never dating she still brought out the best in him. The same goes for Flack. Now it's like his life has been sucked out along with his soul as well. He appears to be boring & lifeless during this season, & boring people are not fun to love. They might as well put him on a leash & give someone a doggie back to pick up his sh!t since he's lost his independence & since he seems like he only listens to others, kinda like a dog. If this continues I'm gonna lose interest in all things Danny & no way in hell am I gonna let that happen :mad:. I think the tight shirts are cutting off the circulation to his brain :lol:.

It amazes me how easily fictional characters can become so real and so inciting of discussion for us :) True, we need to keep a handle on reality but it's still fun to discuss them passionately sometimes and watch how passionate we get about them lol.

It's often the strength of a show that it incites such passionate discussion from people and that it has so many layers to it that two people watching the same scene and observing the same character(s) can derive such different opinions about what's going on. That's probably the sole reason why I'm so addicted to this place :lol:

It's possible -- maybe not probable, but possible -- that this quieter Danny is also the product of what happened to Louie.

Actually, I think this is very probable. His change of behavior is not only a result of what happened to Louie, but also of what happened with his shooting of the cop and his actions after that. Then there's what happened to Aiden -- she let her emotionality lead her to start to mess with the evidence. The fact that she didn't go through with it, didn't change the fact that she was very willing to do it.

Danny is self-aware enough to know that his passion could get him in trouble if he doesn't start reining it in. Looking at it from this angle, the relationship between Danny and Lindsey could very easily be another result of Danny's desire to "settle down" and be more "mature". Add to that the fact that Aiden dies, and you have a man who may just feel that life is too short for him not to "grow up".

The "passionate" Danny is still there, just more tightly controlled (Obviously, he's spending too much time around Mac *grin*). Watch when Danny goes after Casey by jumping off the fire escape or when Danny knocks the killer off the motorcycle. That's the Danny of old. Watch when he's interviewing the mother of the dead suicide girl and the mother slaps him. The pause before Danny says anything is a wonderfully acted moment where you can almost see that Danny is forcing himself to be restrained and in control.

Of course, I see the scene where Danny is asking Lindsey to get something to eat for lunch not as a plea for Lindsey to go out with him, but as a desire to continue being as normal as possible. It's Lindsey who is acting out and making it into more than just lunch.

Yes, Danny is *behaving* differently, but the question of "why" and "how long" have yet to be determined. After all the last Danny-centric episode we had was "Run Silent, Run Deep". There's a lot that TPTB haven't explained and we haven't really seen Danny pushed since that episode. It remains to be seen how much Danny has really changed.

Great post, it made me think about stuff that I hadn't considered and yeah, you definitely have a point.

Now if only TPTB could answer some of the questions we've been asking ourselves since S3 started we might understand what happened to the character a little better...

^^ Welcome to the board, Partly! That was an excellent post -- well-written and insightful. All three of your posts on this board have shown a lot of thought. Hope we see more of you.

Partly, good points. I can see Danny taking a look at what's happening around him and realizing things in his own life need to change. Certainly in the cases of Louie and Aiden, he saw how dangerous being impetuous can be.

I guess my problem is that Danny seems to be becoming passive rather than maturing. A person maturing isn't going to change the core of who they are. No matter how mature Danny becomes, he's still going to be a passionate, emotional person, because that's who he is. That is, if the writers stay true to his character.

This is a wonderful thread, with some interesting views extremely well expressed.

The only problem is...in England we're still on Series Two so everything's still hunky-dory and Danny's at his glorious best - just loved the swordfish one, had me in stitches.

Reading this thread is giving me an awful feeling of impending doom, as though my happy little Danny-world is about to come crashing down.

There must be some redeeming features - apart from the obvious - isn't there even a little bit of spark left??

Top41 said:
I guess my problem is that Danny seems to be becoming passive rather than maturing.
"Passive" is a really good word to describe what's happening. We've been using the word "maturing," which is arguably a good thing. I wouldn't have a problem with Danny maturing, like in RSRD when he went to Mac instead of trying to dig himself out of trouble as Season 1 Danny might have. That's nice to see. It's when he becomes passive that the character is sliding.

There must be some redeeming features - apart from the obvious - isn't there even a little bit of spark left??
The only hint of spark I've seen this season is a little witty banter between Danny, Hawkes and Detective Angell that was very reminescent of Aidan. Another bright spot was a heartfelt moment with Shane Cassidy about his brother. But that's about it, as far as I can recall. :(

MrsGiovinazzo said:
Top41 said:
I guess my problem is that Danny seems to be becoming passive rather than maturing.
"Passive" is a really good word to describe what's happening. We've been using the word "maturing," which is arguably a good thing. I wouldn't have a problem with Danny maturing, like in RSRD when he went to Mac instead of trying to dig himself out of trouble as Season 1 Danny might have. That's nice to see. It's when he becomes passive that the character is sliding.

Agreed--I like to see him learning from his mistakes. As others have mentioned, he'd probably be getting fired at this point if he hadn't. But what makes Danny so compelling is his emotionally volatile nature--how invested he is in his cases, how little things bug him, how hard he tries to please Mac. That's the stuff that makes him interesting, and that's what seems to be missing this season.

I’m not sure why we are equating Danny’s newly subdued emotion and often emotionless behaviour with maturation. Danny’s emotional volatility wasn’t the aspect of his character that I equated with childish behaviour, in fact, to me it showed a depth and a passion, it displayed the type of conviction you usually find in adults. Children’s causes and passions are typically fleeting, and exist within the moment, not to mention children are usually compelled by selfish and self-centered reasons, Danny is many things but when it comes to his job selfish is not one of them.

When Danny feels, he truly feels and to borrow a cliché is like a dog with a bone and it is this quality which makes him an excellent CSI. He truly comprehends the idea of being the last earthly advocate for the wronged, he wants the perpetrators of those crimes to answer for what they’ve done. He wants them to feel the full extent of his fury. Has Danny’s behaviour veered towards the infantile at times, certainly it has, you see it most often in his neediness where Mac is concerned.

He desperately wants Mac’s almost fatherly approval, he’s awaiting that pat on the head, the moment when his father figure heaps accolades upon him. You see the man-child when Danny bows his head in the wake of Mac’s fury or disappointment. I would like to see Danny emerge from that need, but there must have been years of damage done to create an almost crippling fear of disappointing those he looks to for approval.

These conflicting natures are what made Danny so compelling, his tenacity, which often leads him down the wrong or even destructive path, coupled with his need for approval and praise. All of this is what I suspect, but what I know is that whatever it was it is long gone and with it, a character that constantly fascinated me, a character that riveted me to the television screen.

As far as the notion of Danny changing for or because of Lindsay, well, I think it is very sweet to believe that people change for someone else but in the end that type of change simply doesn’t last. In fact, molding yourself to make someone love you or to make yourself desirable to someone else is a sign of immaturity. It’s what people do in high school, hiding that which they really are to make themselves more appealing. In adolescents it may be acceptable, but in adults in runs towards the pathetic.

Danny was a fully formed character and while you can anticipate some growth, what you don’t anticipate is the eradication of everything that came before.

Back