Why Lindsay REALLY Must Go (Pt. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WhosLaughingNow said:
Well at least we know it was Lindsay initiated their interrupted almost kiss. Carmine did say in the Talk CSI interview that Danny was more or less saying "Look, I'm here for you, I came here because you're in trouble and I came here because I care, but not more than that."

Yep, that's right. What stood out to me in that moment was that Danny just stood there doing nothing while she was the one who leaned forward to kiss him.

Right after she just confronted the guy who killed all her teenage BFFs and cried on the stand just minutes before. Whut? TPTB, what the heck were you thinking, seriously? And Anthony Zuiker, you must have been watching a different show with that comment of yours. :lol:

I dunno why I find it weird that she would wanna kiss him then at that moment. I mean you've just been reliving all these horrific memories and the killer is right there. What's going through you're head? "Wow what an emotionally draining few weeks. Maybe now is the perfect time to begin luring Danny in to my love nest"

I think the only response I have to the last two sentences is:

rofl3.gif
rofl3.gif
rofl3.gif

^That was my reaction too. :lol: Now that you guys mentioned it, it is pretty weird for her to be thinking about kissing Danny, moments after you confronted the killer of your friends. And yes, I totally give props to Danny for standing there and doing nothing when she leaned towards him. The whole swarm of reporters surrounding her in that scene always bothered me too. It's not like she's Paris Hilton or whoever, why would they go all paparazzi on her? :rolleyes:

Ah, do you know about the spoilers in detail?
Oh, Kimmy, I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong idea with the ;). Hahaha. I actually don't know anything beyond what's been posted in the spoiler thread. :lol: *ducks from Kimmy's spears/knives/whatnot*

I am going to be rewatching the ep tonight, in part because I want to see the preview for next week ;) and in part because I want to watch Anna's performance again. I remember it being bad but not nearly as bad as the episodes leading up to it.

As for Lindsay being all about kissing Danny as soon as Katums was convicted, of course she was. Her "dark secret" ended up being little more than an obstacle for her and Danny getting together, and the minute it was wrapped up, boom, she's all ready to stick her tongue down Danny's throat.

I think part of the problem was that Anna was handed a decent storyline but couldn't do anything with it. Imagine Melina or Carmine or Hill with that storyline--you're picturing it as an amazing arc, aren't you? Me, too. Anna's acting just killed it. It was "jaw-dropping" alright--jaw-droppingly bad. (I still find it interesting that Zuiker left that comment so vague. "Jaw-dropping" can be interpreted either way. ;) )

This part is OT: We were watching the MN Wild hockey game at my house and after it was over the folks turned back to CBS just in time to see the "Danny the Doofus" smile while imagining Lindsay in the lab. Yay. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic. Rewatching the courtroom scenes really made me focus on how badly TPTB screwed up this story. In the "Non-Stop" crossover with Miami, we get the whole "I've seen a lot more blood than that" whine fest. Then at the trial she says, "there was so much blood," when talking about coming out of the bathroom to find her friends dead. Cut to flashback, and there isn't even 1/4 the amount of blood at that crime scene as there was at the NY crime scene. :confused:

Take that, plus the fact that there was no cross examination or seeing Daniel Katums on the witness stand, no motive for the crime, no resolution of the whole "I can't handle mothers" thing, and it's like, "Is that IT? That's all we get?" WTF?? :confused:

Regardless of AB's acting, if TPTB don't give a rat's ass about creating decent character development for Lindsay, why should the viewers give a rat's ass about Lindsay and why the hell is she still there? :confused:

And RE: the "almost kiss." I thought it looked an awful lot like Carmine broke character and was trying not to laugh his ass off as Anna leaned in. I could be dead wrong, but both times I've seen it I thought the same thing.

"Danny the Doofus" smile while imagining Lindsay in the lab. Yay.

That was the most ridiculous scene. Plus, on a completely shallow note, the lab tech he was envisioning as Lindsay is so much prettier than Lindsay.

Anyway, back on topic. Rewatching the courtroom scenes really made me focus on how badly TPTB screwed up this story. In the "Non-Stop" crossover with Miami, we get the whole "I've seen a lot more blood than that" whine fest. Then at the trial she says, "there was so much blood," when talking about coming out of the bathroom to find her friends dead. Cut to flashback, and there isn't even 1/4 the amount of blood at that crime scene as there was at the NY crime scene.

The lack of blood didn't strike me the first time I watched this episode, but it bothered me last night. As they panned across the scene at the diner, I wondered why there wasn't more blood. I mean her comment that she had seen way more bloody crime scenes obviously was meant to refer to her "secret" yet the scene was far less bloody than the scene in "Non-Stop."

The first time I watched it I mostly fast forwarded through the trial scenes. I forced myself to watch more of this episode when it was on last night to really try to feel some sympathy for the character of Lindsay and try to see what others liked about that scene. Let's face it, it really isn't fun to dislike a character on one of your favorite shows. Unfortunately, forcing myself to watch more of the trial scenes didn't help me one bit in feeling sympathy for Lindsay. I couldn't get involved in the story she was telling. I think it was supposed to move the audience, but I really felt nothing but the urge to fast forward the court room scenes.

Since she was in Montana and obviously near where she grew up, why weren't her parents in the courthouse to support her? Do they not like her either?

privatename said:
Unfortunately, forcing myself to watch more of the trial scenes didn't help me one bit in feeling sympathy for Lindsay. I couldn't get involved in the story she was telling. I think it was supposed to move the audience, but I really felt nothing but the urge to fast forward the court room scenes.

GreenEyes made a really good point in the "Silent Night" review thread that I had never thought about, and think applies to the courtroom scenes in SOOH.

She was saying that by waiting until so close to AB's maternity leave to reslove the story line, TPTB really didn't do AB any favors. I agree with that. During Lindsay's testimony all the shots were (affects Wayne and Garth voices from "Wayne's World.") EXTREME CLOSEUPS!!!

They either had the camera half way up the poor woman's nose or off/over her shoulder slightly to hide the pregnancy. Had they been able to have farther away shots that showed more body language, it may not have been as bad. The way they did it really relied on AB's facial expressions to help sell the delivery, and that's one of her major weaknesses.

For whatever reason, TPTB decided they needed to wrap up the story before the end of the season. I suppose so they could get the angst out of the way to make room for the canon D/L ship. If they'd taken things more slowly, they not only could have actually developed the story fully without the gaping plot holes; but they could've also helped AB out and possibly made the courtroom scenes at least a little less cringe worthy.

Since she was in Montana and obviously near where she grew up, why weren't her parents in the courthouse to support her? Do they not like her either?

Another thing that makes it appear TPTB don't give a crap about the character. Seriously, PTB, if you don't develop her how are the viewers supposed to make an effort to care about her and why is she on the show in the first place?

privatename said:
I'm sure it's because they find her just as annoying as we do.

PerfectAnomaly said:
During Lindsay's testimony all the shots were (affects Wayne and Garth voices from "Wayne's World.") EXTREME CLOSEUPS!!!

They either had the camera half way up the poor woman's nose or off/over her shoulder slightly to hide the pregnancy. Had they been able to have farther away shots that showed more body language, it may not have been as bad. The way they did it really relied on AB's facial expressions to help sell the delivery, and that's one of her major weaknesses.
I kinda agree and disagree. I agree that maybe if they all weren't so close up it might have been better. Although you have to keep in mind she's supposed to be an actress on primetime television and if TPTB want to shove the camera directly up her nose or in her face so that her face is literally touching the camera she should be able to make it work. Plus I think in a scene like that seeing the persons face up close is much more powerful when pulled off properly.

WhosLaughingNow said:
PerfectAnomaly said:
During Lindsay's testimony all the shots were (affects Wayne and Garth voices from "Wayne's World.") EXTREME CLOSEUPS!!!

I kinda agree and disagree. I agree that maybe if they all weren't so close up it might have been better. Although you have to keep in mind she's supposed to be an actress on primetime television and if TPTB want to shove the camera directly up her nose or in her face so that her face is literally touching the camera she should be able to make it work. Plus I think in a scene like that seeing the persons face up close is much more powerful when pulled off properly.

I agree with that completely. What I meant was knowing AB's weeknesses and taking into consideration that they were trying to hide AB's pregnancy and then looking at how it was filmed; I think it could have been shot to not be as painful to watch as it turned out to be. It goes back to saying that there are multiple factors as to why Lindsay doesn't work as a character.

privatename said:

:lol: Excellent observation there. I think that scene makes me cringe so much that I don't think about it at all, much less point out things like that.

The only theory I have for them not being there at such an important trial for their daughter and they're still in favorable light is, well ... they're dead. :p 'Cause if they aren't and they didn't even bother to show up, what the heck does that say about their feelings towards their daughter? Ouch.

Then there's also that thing about Katums. Like someone mentioned above, we didn't even see him on the stand to answer questions and all that. He was just shown sitting there like he didn't give a damn. Was it ever explained at all why the guy killed Lindsay's friends?

Nope, I don't think that it was ever mentioned. :rolleyes: Maybe the writers meant it to be random crime? But an explanation would've been nice. Having the suspect snarl evilly at Lindsay and threaten her with her well-being would have made for some good dramatic scenes as well. *blegh*

Good observation about her parents, but really...from what we've seen of Lindsay, little mattered outside of pairing her with Danny. Even her dark storyline was ultimately used as a mere obstacle to their so called "true love" and as soon as it was out of the way, she was all ready to get on Danny. That's not a character--that's a caricature.

As for the camera angles/rushed storyline, no it didn't do Anna any favors. But bad acting is bad acting--all the camera angles in the world won't change that. All the camera angles did was make her look heavy, which, duh, she was pregnant. Her appearance was the least of her problems during that storyline. It was her acting that killed it.

The absence of her parents bring up another storyline about her that was alluded to but never resolved. In the episode with the mermaid, (I'm really bad at remembering episode titles, please help me out!) she was staring at a photo of someone we assumed was her father. It suggested an estranged relationship between her and her father at the very least. Maybe that's the reason -- once again, unexplained -- why her parents were absent from the courtroom? But Lindsay didn't even bring that up. Bi-zarre.

I think that shows that not a lot of effort has been put in to developing Lindsay's backstory, beyond that dark bloody secret. Almost all of the CSIs have alluded to home in some way or another, except maybe Hawkes. We know about Mac's dad dying, about Stella growing up in an orphanage/foster care, Danny's brother and some of his experiences with his father and Flack's police family background (and Thanksgiving table :lol: ).

With Lindsay, her family didn't matter because the crux of those scenes was really Danny's arrival and Danny giving her strength. It's just another example of how she's not really a fully fleshed out character on her own.

Top41 said:
With Lindsay, her family didn't matter because the crux of those scenes was really Danny's arrival and Danny giving her strength. It's just another example of how she's not really a fully fleshed out character on her own.

I think that also shows that she's only on the show at this point so Danny can be her love monkey. The girl has nothing left.

Also I think that if TPTB tried to redeem her character it would fail solely because of Anna's acting. You make her do anything where she needs to be deeper than a kiddie pool and she falls flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back