Why Lindsay Must Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem with keeping Lindsay is that the writers and show runners worked so hard trying to ingratiate the character to viewers, to the point that some of us were choking, that to undo the damage would mean yet another season of too much Lindsay without anything remotely positive emerging. You can't go back at this point and make her the new girl or the country girl seeking to adjust, allover again and any attempt to fix the broken would be ridiculously obvious and dominate the third season the way the character dominated the last half of the third, especially when they made it their weekly goal to place her in a scene with Danny. I could barely breathe this season as it was. Frankly, Anna just isn’t worth that much screen time, there is nothing amazingly talented about her nor does she draw you into the storyline, she is the weak link in an amazing cast, dead weight if you will. She manages to diminish Carmine and that is no easy feat considering the raw emotion and charisma he brings to the screen. It was an unfortunate pairing and one that I feel was forced to try to make the female viewer identify with her and like her, in other words, she wants Danny and I want Danny so she must be cool. Nice try, but really I have a lot more self-respect that that and I would hope that none of the viewers fell for that manipulative ploy.

Ali

That's the problem I come back to, too--even if Lindsay as a character is salvageable (and I'm not totally convinced she is), I'm really not sure I want to sit through that much Anna screen time to see the writers try to fix the character. Nor, after three different incarnations of Lindsay, am I convinced they can do it.

Lindsay/Anna is actually the mirror opposite of Danny/Carmine--whereas the latter is the perfect marriage of actor and character, the ideal blend of excellent writing and a talented actor to carry the role, the former shows how a mediocre actress simply can't carry a poorly written character. If the writing were better, the character more defined, Anna might have pulled it off. On the flipside, if a better actress had been cast in the role, Lindsay might come across better, might seem like more of a character than she actually is. I.E., Eddie and Hill do much more with their roles than what is put on paper.

I keep coming back to Anna on Medical Investigation. Many of her mannerisms are the same, and there's something slightly fake or mannered about her, like I pick up on NY, but the character is so much better developed and drawn out, the lines so much more indicative of who she is as a character that she works much better than Lindsay has or, I believe, ever will.

I was searching the internet today and I came across this blog that talks about the three CSI shows. Now, granted, the blogger, David W. Boles, doesn't think much of CSI:NY on the whole and prefers Miami, but I still found this little part interesting. He was asked about Lindsay's character and had this to say:

"Her name is Anna Belknap and she, too, is a theatre actress on television. She has great promise, but she is rough and inexperienced on the show. She overplays her part and is too obvious in confronting the suspects. Part of that is bad writing. Part of it is woeful direction. Part of it is her not feeling comfortable in the role."

I think that pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter (as well as a lot of people in this thread ;)).

To echo Top, I don't think Anna was as bad on Medical Investigation. The character had a defined purpose on the show, so maybe that's part of it. It often seems like Lindsay is doing a scene, etc. that another character could do more effectively, but on MI Eva was the publicity liason, a more specific role than being one of the CSIs on NY.

Wow, Boles really hates CSI: NY! :lol: But he's dead on about Anna. She just doesn't seem comfortable in the role at all, and it really is a combination of that, the writing and the direction that just make Lindsay pretty much unwatchable.

You gotta hope that TPTB are listening when the same things are being said from such different directions.

Boles mentioning that NY gets the tired leftovers was spot on. You get that feeling in the writing. I think they need fresh blood at the script table (hmm, wonder who I'd nominate for that? :D) and get people who love the characters besides Danny. No slight to Danny, but I'd really love to see Lindsay gone and the team a team again instead of a High School drama headed for a bad end.

I would love to see the little playing bits they had in S1...like Flack complaining about Stella never stopping to eat and Stella and Aiden teasing Flack about the ghosts in the monastery. Those moments were small, but they gave the team a team feel, a feeling that they liked each other and were comfortable with each other. S2 was completely lacking in that area.

I hated Lindsay as soon as she said "sorry i spew trivia when i'm nervous" and that was like her third line! Its true she displays no emotion and has a monotone voice, maybe thats a Montana thing lol.

I dont see why people are so worked up about her being introduced so quickly, she'd be a bad actor/character even if she was eased in through 20 episodes! She's way outta her depth, and cant act believabley around other people; has she ever talked to Hawkes or Flack?

And i think its extremely important to have another woman in the csi gang. Stella is great and strong and all but the majority of women aren't like that, you need someone softer but not a soppy wuss with a bit of spunk. I think the whole Calleigh in miami is awful, she is pure rubbish, and another gal could even things out, like contrast with Stella.

I really dont know what to think about Danny/Lindsay situation. Although he has asked to eat with her on a few occasions he otherwise doesn't seem that bothered or REALLY flirts with her. i think he could be subtley mocking/taking the pee. I dont know how she cant act the chemistry around him even in real life he is jus so gorgeous she must be gay not to let it through.

The character in general is poor, even if it was played by another actress. They need someone...hmmm havent quite got that far but prob someone more down to earth, natural but with a twist (?) or something.
In a nutshell: Linsay must go!

dannys_lova said:
I dont see why people are so worked up about her being introduced so quickly, she'd be a bad actor/character even if she was eased in through 20 episodes! She's way outta her depth, and cant act believabley around other people; has she ever talked to Hawkes or Flack?

Yeah, I don't really get that either. None of the other characters needed 20 episodes to find their footing. They barely needed half a dozen. And yet we're supposed to wait through how many seasons for her to improve? Her acting is wooden, period, never more so than in NY. Improving her stilted, awkward delivery would take a lot of work, and it really does distract from the other performances and the show as a whole. And that's frustrating.

She actually talked to Flack in CoTP. She asked about the block party. Flack explained it to her and she couldn't believe it was out in the street and Flack said "Where do they have block parties in Montana?" and she replied "In Wyoming". I don't recall her ever talking to Hawkes.

What IS the problem with Lindsay? Is it her acting or the writers trying to find a way to make her fit? On CSI:Miami when Speedle was killed and they introduced Ryan, he fit in pretty easily. It didn't take 20 episodes for him to be likeable. They moved Hawkes out of the morgue and made him a CSI so why did they have to bring in another CSI? He kinda got lost in the shuffle.

It seems easier for me to bear when she works with Mac. She needs to quit working with Danny so much. We know he's Flack's. :devil: She will never have the chemistry with Danny that Aiden had with him.

I believe she talked to Hawkes in "Heroes" after they identified Aiden.

Cheshyre said:
I believe she talked to Hawkes in "Heroes" after they identified Aiden.

yeah she did , she asked him about his relationship with Aiden if i remembered correctly.

Hawkes and Flack? somebody get the point, it's like she can only talk to Mac or Danny (i won't talk about Stella cause their scene are just to painful to talk about it, and it's not coming from Stella's part), i wonder if the writers thought about the awful image they give to the country girls to us, i mean europeans....When i watched her scenes, i swear, i really wonder if country girls in America are just like her, and i have to admit, that's scary

sissi, I think I can pretty confidently say that Lindsay does not accurately represent a good portion of the country girls in the States, specifically the ones around where I live.

I don't know about country girls, I am a city girl through and through. I just re-watched Run Silent Run Deep and I never noticed how wooden she actually is. Her scenes with Danny at the hospital and when telling him about the DNA results were painful to watch. She has no chemistry with the cast.
I find the way that Flack reacts to her as comical, he doesn't even acknowledge her presence. Lindsay's addition to the cast is like fitting a square peg in a round hole its not going to fit, and that is how she is portrayed to the viewers.
Her delivery and facial actions are wooden, and she has started to bring down even the most talanted actors within the show. In short the writers need to sort her character out over the hiatus in order to allow the 3rd season to florish with a top notch cast.

Cheshyre said:
sissi, I think I can pretty confidently say that Lindsay does not accurately represent a good portion of the country girls in the States, specifically the ones around where I live.

thanks for the info :D see how scary it is, some of us in France really think country girls in America are like that, even if it's a fictional character, she is supposed to fit , on some ways , to reality...argh i think that one of the big problem is that writers use a stereotype and they continue on that way, they made a mistake at the beginning and they keep going this way.

neverapromise i totally agree wth you, that's exactly what i fell about Lindsay

never_a_promise said:
I don't know about country girls, I am a city girl through and through. I just re-watched Run Silent Run Deep and I never noticed how wooden she actually is. Her scenes with Danny at the hospital and when telling him about the DNA results were painful to watch. She has no chemistry with the cast.

Bingo, baby as Danny would say! :D Everyone else interacts so naturally with one another, and she just recites her lines like they're, well, lines in a script. No nuance or depth to her performance at all.

I find the way that Flack reacts to her as comical, he doesn't even acknowledge her presence.

Flack absolutely ignored her up until the season finale, when he snarked her with the line about block parties in Montana. I laughed, because it totally seemed like he was making fun of her. Yet another reason I love Flack--he doesn't like Lindsay either. :lol:

Her delivery and facial actions are wooden, and she has started to bring down even the most talanted actors within the show. In short the writers need to sort her character out over the hiatus in order to allow the 3rd season to florish with a top notch cast.

CSI: NY is one of the top-rated dramas on television. They could do better than having an actress on the show who doesn't have any chemistry with the rest of the cast and simply doesn't fit.

The one thing that bothers me though is during that chat with Eddie and Hill when they asked them how they felt about Anna's addition to the cast and does she fit in well.

Eddie replied "I love her. She fits like a glove. And one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Hill replied Anna fits in great... She is a great actress and more than that she is one of the most kind and decent people you will ever meet, I love her to death.

Are they just being nice? Do they not see what we see? I guess they can't actually just come out and say negative things.

And No, country girls do NOT act like Lindsay. She is not a good example of a country girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back