Why Lindsay Must Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant Lindsay, not Anna. My bad.

I want to respond further but I'm very tired right now. Since tomorrow would have been my 22nd wedding anniversary, I just don't think I'll be getting around to it in the next couple of days.

I'm going through this with another series myself - only the person in question is a real person, not a character, and I'm defending him to the hilt. I don't mind people not liking him, but when personal slander comes into play, I get really quite annoyed and will dive in there.

It's made me think about my views on Lindsey. Difference is - Lindsey isn't real.

I'm with Top - I don't mind people who bash Danny - I find it hilarious. Danny-bashing is practically a sport as far as I'm concerned. And he's my favourite character.

I don't hate Anna. I've even stopped hating Lindsey. Sad truth is, I can't even bring myself to care about her. There's just nothing there, as far as I'm concerned, and I've learnt to block her out completely. Is that sad? Very possibly. I just can't will up the venom anymore. There's not enough there for me to love or hate.

I think Anna would be better suited to comedy, and I've said it a lot. People can take that as they want, really.

Lyn said:
I'm going through this with another series myself - only the person in question is a real person, not a character, and I'm defending him to the hilt. I don't mind people not liking him, but when personal slander comes into play, I get really quite annoyed and will dive in there.

Exactly. No one here has or would say anything about Anna as a person. I've not seen anyone insult her character (by character, I mean her personally, not Lindsay ;) ). It's all been kept to the professional arena.

I'm with Top - I don't mind people who bash Danny - I find it hilarious. Danny-bashing is practically a sport as far as I'm concerned. And he's my favourite character.

I love it, too, and sometimes I agree with it, which makes it even more fun to discuss. Danny's my favorite, too, but he's far from perfect and I enjoy his faults even if sometimes they grate.

I don't see how any of us could actually hate Anna when none of us, Lindsay Lovers included, actually know her. They can love the 'ideal' of her all they want, but they don't know her any more than we do. I see my critics of her as basically performance evaluations and if she were in my pod, I'd be looking to replacing her ASAP.

Lindsay, however, is a different matter. This 'person' exists solely in the imagination. What we know of her is limited by what has been said or presented on the show itself and while others may speculate all they want, speculation does not reality make. So, based on what we've seen...Lindsay is the co-worker everyone tiptoes around and is very nice to because they're all waiting for the day she snaps and they don't want to be the first one she targets when she comes in the door with a modified uzi and spare clips.

Also, I see it repeated everywhere how she brings a 'new' or 'different' perspective to the show and I simply do not see this. I see references to where she is from, that she's worked with horses, whatnot, but I see nothing of her personality reflecting that she is actually a country girl. I don't hear it in her words, in her phrases or in how she sees New York. She mentioned not knowing what the water tower was for in one of the eps, but that was kind of a 'duh' for me. Then there's the 'wheat fields' comment which really seemed pointless. Blame the writers, whatever, but for me, as a character that should be multi-dimensional and have layers, Lindsay is rather flat.

Also, I see it repeated everywhere how she brings a 'new' or 'different' perspective to the show and I simply do not see this.
Heh. :) You know, I think that the writers went at one point:
"Guys, we have a good show here, don't we?" And then everyone in the room nodded.
"Now, we have this new character, why don't we make her a country girl, so she can explain all of New York's big mysteries, like the water tower, because people outside of the big cities sure don't know what its purpose may be." Nodding head all around again and the writer who came up with the idea got a big payrise.

Anyway: I kind of liked the idea of having a girl from the country move into the big city and be slightly confused by what's going on.
What happened, though, IMO was that the writers started patronizing the viewers in a way. I'm a country girl, too, and I sure as hell knew what the water tower was for. Duh.
Lindsay could have taken on the role of being Captain Exposition [i.e. explaining everyday things to us not-so-knowledgeable viewers] and she could have served her purpose well. But something went wrong on the way.

Then there's the 'wheat fields' comment which really seemed pointless.
Terrible scene. Whole purpose: maintaining Lindsay is still a country girl, so we acknowledge how terrible it must be for her when the Little Mermaid dies. Gah.

Lindsay is the co-worker everyone tiptoes around and is very nice to because they're all waiting for the day she snaps and they don't want to be the first one she targets when she comes in the door with a modified uzi and spare clips.
:lol: Aftereffects of the rabid hedgehogs?

Bunny said:

Anyway: I kind of liked the idea of having a girl from the country move into the big city and be slightly confused by what's going on.
What happened, though, IMO was that the writers started patronizing the viewers in a way. I'm a country girl, too, and I sure as hell knew what the water tower was for. Duh.
Lindsay could have taken on the role of being Captain Exposition [i.e. explaining everyday things to us not-so-knowledgeable viewers] and she could have served her purpose well. But something went wrong on the way.

I think the idea of a country girl adapting to the Big City is great, I think they've executed it so poorly the need to scrap it or, better yet, get a better, more believable actress and actually do something with the idea.

Completely agree with the patronizing thought...when was the last time you saw a clip of a small town, usually in a news report, where they didn't pan by the water tower that usually has the town name printed on it in huge letters? Hell, places I grew up, it was a rite of passage to graffti them. Or a makeout point.

:lol: Aftereffects of the rabid hedgehogs?

Why not? After Lindsay has been ventilated with extreme prejudice by everyone with a gun handy, they can go to the bar and toast the poor hedgehogs who were the true victim. :D

Jaer said:

See, the wheat fields comment was actually one of the few comments Lindsay has made that didn't bug me. But, I admit to a lot of subjectivity on that.

Lindsay is just completely "meh" for me. I don't care about her at all. I don't care enough to dislike her. Most of the time she barely registers for me.

And, when she does register, it's instances like her little huff-screech-stomp that makes me wonder who lit the fuse on her tampon or the Danny/Lindsay moments, which I can't tell if I dislike because of the lack of chemistry between the two and the forcefulness of it or because I am pretty much against kissing in my violence.

Basically, she's like plain oatmeal with a few inexplicable cold lumps.

Part of it could be Anna's acting (haven't seen her in anything else so it's really hard for me to judge), but I'm laying some of the blame on the writers. They dropped the ball on this character and wasted an opportunity to bring in an interesting outsider. It's like they came up with her five minutes before filming and her only gimmick was being a country girl in a big city and they just decided to wing it from there. That sort of thing just doesn't do the show any justice.

Man, I had cold lumps in my oatmeal.

I've just seen three episodes of Medical Investigation, and I'm more convinced than ever Lindsay's failings as a character are really due to both the writers and Anna.

Anna's not great in MI--her range as a dramatic actress really does seem to be pretty limited. (Having not seen the musical/comedy stuff, I won't presume to judge her skills there.) But Eva Rossi, her character on MI, seems to be a much better thought out character than Lindsay. Whereas the writers can't seem to figure out what exactly to do with Lindsay, the MI writers seemed to have a pretty clear sense of who Eva was, and I think that was helpful for Anna. Some actors need more guidance than others.

Eva also had a great line in the second episode when they all sat down to play cards: "Sometimes I can't even tell when I'm bluffing." That cracked me up and it was delivered well. I actually felt like Anna had a handle on her character.

I've only seen three episodes, so I can't really say for sure one way or another, but right now what I've seen of Anna on MI is better than anything she's done on NY.

Cheshyre said:
Jaer said:

See, the wheat fields comment was actually one of the few comments Lindsay has made that didn't bug me. But, I admit to a lot of subjectivity on that.

Lindsay is just completely "meh" for me. I don't care about her at all. I don't care enough to dislike her. Most of the time she barely registers for me.

And, when she does register, it's instances like her little huff-screech-stomp that makes me wonder who lit the fuse on her tampon or the Danny/Lindsay moments, which I can't tell if I dislike because of the lack of chemistry between the two and the forcefulness of it or because I am pretty much against kissing in my violence.

Basically, she's like plain oatmeal with a few inexplicable cold lumps.

Part of it could be Anna's acting (haven't seen her in anything else so it's really hard for me to judge), but I'm laying some of the blame on the writers. They dropped the ball on this character and wasted an opportunity to bring in an interesting outsider. It's like they came up with her five minutes before filming and her only gimmick was being a country girl in a big city and they just decided to wing it from there. That sort of thing just doesn't do the show any justice.

Man, I had cold lumps in my oatmeal.

You think it was five minutes before the camera rolled, wow, you are nice :lol:, because I'm not sure the writers have actually written the character yet, maybe they are waiting until season 5. By then they will have monkey CSI's rounding out the cast, picking their asses, dry humping one another and solving crimes. I mean that's basically what happened this season, wasn't it?

The whole country girl shtick was old long before the writers could find a way to make it a cohesive part of Lindsay's character. Even if the writers had succeeded, I'm not convinced Anna could have done any better with her delivery.

Yes, cold lumpy oatmeal is a great description, she is absolutely unappealing in every way imaginable and like the aforementioned food she should be chucked out with the rest of the trash.

Ali

JDonne said:
You think it was five minutes before the camera rolled, wow, you are nice :lol:, because I'm not sure the writers have actually written the character yet, maybe they are waiting until season 5. By then they will have monkey CSI's rounding out the cast, picking their asses, dry humping one another and solving crimes. I mean that's basically what happened this season, wasn't it?

The whole country girl shtick was old long before the writers could find a way to make it a cohesive part of Lindsay's character. Even if the writers had succeeded, I'm not convinced Anna could have done any better with her delivery.

Yes, cold lumpy oatmeal is a great description, she is absolutely unappealing in every way imaginable and like the aforementioned food she should be chucked out with the rest of the trash.

Ali

I think the country girl gimmick could have worked as an aspect of the character if they'd actually consulted a country girl. Unfortunately, they didn't. And, unfortunately, that's about all they came up with for the character, except for her "bloody secret". In fact, at this point I'm willing to bet the entire outline for her character was "Lindsay Monroe...Country girl with a bloody secret" and then they hit the beer bong.

The character just looks so sloppy and half-finished compared to the other characters. And, considering all the screentime she's had, you'd think we'd get something out of it.

Perhaps if Anna was a stronger actor, she could have made something out of it, but I'm not convinced of that. Granted, Hill and Eddie have made a mountain out of a mole hole when it comes to screentime and development for their characters, but Anna's been handed some pretty weak stuff, so the jury's still out on her acting for me.

If they want to keep Lindsay, they need to start all over. This just ain't workin'. This character is beige. And beige is what you paint a room because you don't want to put any effort into color coordinating the furniture.

After seeing MI, I do believe a lot of the problem is the writing. Anna doesn't blow me away on MI, but she does clearly have a handle on who the character is, and she plays her with much more confidence and skill then she plays Lindsay. And yeah, I agree...country girl with a bloody secret is an awfully weak premise. Straight out of fanfiction, and not even good fanfiction.

Okay, first of all I will step up and say that I like Lindsay, and I think Anna is a decent actress.

That said, I understand some of the negative thoughts about her. I think the writers kind of tried too hard to make her character waaayyyyy different than Aiden. That was going to get a negative reaction from some, it was just destiny.

Also, they really did put Lindsay front and center from day one, and it seems to me that they've also gone a bit overboard trying to give her facets - ie Mermaid Girl, getting all PO'd at that one suspect, etc. CSI:NY has a great cast and they need to spread out air time (I love Hill Harper, they'd better give him some love). I can understand the criticism of her getting too much right out of the box.

That said, I still like the character since I like to see female cops on shows be more than tough-as-nails types. I've always kind of liked her ackwardness and see it as fitting being that she is from Montana.

And I also have to believe that the controversey this character has caused shows that a lot of people are watching and that is actually kinda good for the show.

My thoughts. Thanks for reading. Peace.

audrina said:
Also, they really did put Lindsay front and center from day one, and it seems to me that they've also gone a bit overboard trying to give her facets - ie Mermaid Girl, getting all PO'd at that one suspect, etc. CSI:NY has a great cast and they need to spread out air time (I love Hill Harper, they'd better give him some love). I can understand the criticism of her getting too much right out of the box.

Agreed, completely. I think that a lot of this is from the writers just mishandling how Lindsay was introduced and developed. I know many others have said this as well, but I felt like she was being shoved down my throat, especially once they started inserting a "cute" Danny and Lindsay interaction scene in every episode.

Again, I look to the introduction of Ryan Wolfe. He really wasn't forced front and center at all his first year. He was there, he was a member of the team, he even had some growing pains, but it's not like the writers took time out from every episode for "The Ryan and Calleigh Flirting Scene." We also didn't have to hear constant references to Ryan's time on patrol, like we're always hearing about Montana.

The Montana references are all the writers, and it makes me wonder if any of them have any concept of life outside a big city. I'm a city girl myself, but I don't think people who live in small towns are all hicks who have to go to the next state over to socialize. :rolleyes: I blame all of those annoying, dumb references on the writers.

That said, I still like the character since I like to see female cops on shows be more than tough-as-nails types. I've always kind of liked her ackwardness and see it as fitting being that she is from Montana.

I like the idea of diverse female characters, but for a more well-rounded example I look to Calleigh, who is feminine and pretty, but also tough. I guess I don't think a woman who isn't relatively strong and confident would be attracted to the field of law enforcement (the same is true of men). The CSIs are scientists, which qualifies it a bit, and Lindsay's comment in "Jamalot" about not knowing about women needing hair products because she works in a lab made me chuckle. She's kind of a nerdy science girl type, and that part works, mostly.

Thanks for the comments Top41. I love Calleigh, she's the main reason I watch CSI: Miami (although Ryan's a babe so that doesn't hurt either!).

Top41 said:
The Montana references are all the writers, and it makes me wonder if any of them have any concept of life outside a big city.

I'm gonna go with a big no on that one. There are so many ways they could bring in how country she is without the implication that just because she's a country girl she has no clue what real life is like. Ironically enough, one of her most 'country girl' moments was that hideous...I think JDonne called it a 'maternity prom dress circa Molly Ringwald'...outfit she wore. I could see her trying to shop for something 'citified' to wear to the theatre and buying that thinking she'd fit in. I wouldn't have been caught in it, but I know a lot of girls I went to High School with who would have thought it was just so shiny and pretty.

Top41 said:
I like the idea of diverse female characters, but for a more well-rounded example I look to Calleigh, who is feminine and pretty, but also tough. I guess I don't think a woman who isn't relatively strong and confident would be attracted to the field of law enforcement (the same is true of men).

I agree with this statement a lot and it is a big reason why I have such a hard time with Lindsay. She isn't a tough character, a lot of the time she strikes me as lacking confidence...which doesn't fit with a country girl who is used to working with horses and I have a hard time believing she belongs in law enforcement. Her moments in the lab are her best moments, but even then, a lot of the time she seems hesitant about what she's presenting to someone...when she isn't wiping something on someone or snatching something.

If they're going to keep her, they need to decide who she is a go with it, be consistent with it. But I would rather they get rid of her entirely because at this point, I see nothing that would make me like the character more and I want them to stop wasting time on getting people to try and like her when others are more deserving of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back