Why Lindsay Must Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my drama class, I had one kid who couldnt act, because they didnt have the skill, and one who concentrated on the moments leading up and the script so much that they let it get in the way. There is room for improv in acting, even if it is scripted, and Anna Belknap doesnt bring that which makes her character who could be interesting suffer.

Showtime, I think I see your point, it's like failing your driving exam because you psyched yourself out, not necessarily because you are a bad driver. If that is applicable here.

As it seems people are having problems respecting people's opinions on an actress' lack of acting, I guess I will refrain from voicing my opinions instead of the people who do not care for the thread avoiding the thread. :rolleyes:

What does that prove? It's a discussion board, not only certain opinions are allowed board. Even the Mods have tried to drill this in. If you want a single opinon only board, they're easy to find as well. There has to be opinions or it becomes a bore and rather stale. If there are those who object, let them. If they have a valid argument, read it. Discuss it. If they simply believe you are bashing and not paying attention to what you're talking about, then their opinon doesn't really matter and you should pay them as much attention as they pay you.

I know that theatre is a very different venue than tv, I have friends in theatre and the idea that she could be having trouble transitioning would be more valid if this weren't her second or third series and she's done how many guest spots? At some point it becomes either a lack of desire, talent or ambition.

Thanks Jaer. I mentioned this in the Anna/Lindsay thread so I'll add it here too:

Anna seems to do better where she's processing some sort of item, either the tiger dung, Lyn mentioned in the How do you fell...thread, or where she's using the bow, as opposed to her coming out with a theory/motive which may or may not be where she comes across as forced. Maybe her scenes can be fitted so she's finding evidence and dealing with props she can focus on, and have her interactions with other characters centre around that. It wouldn't be limiting her character either as they can write it off as her having some sort of specialty.

Jaer said:
I know that theatre is a very different venue than tv, I have friends in theatre and the idea that she could be having trouble transitioning would be more valid if this weren't her second or third series and she's done how many guest spots? At some point it becomes either a lack of desire, talent or ambition.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. She was just as abhorrent on the shows she guested in, and brought nothing to the series/movies she starred in.

How long was she on the other shows? I've never seen them, so can't comment on that, but I'm just wondering how much time she had for each role. The only show I'm really familiar with is WaT, but I've never really watched it. I can see the deal with theatre as you say the same lines to the same play night after night after night, so after a while you don't have to search for the character as much after a while.

abc said:
I guess I will refrain from voicing my opinions instead of the people who do not care for the thread avoiding the thread. :rolleyes:

Yes, yes you will. Why? Because I JUST stated a few posts above (not to mention in other posts around the forum) that opinions can be attacked but NOT OTHER POSTERS. So yes, you WILL refrain from saying whatever you were going to say of those who avoid the thread.

BittenByTheWolfe said:
abc said:
I guess I will refrain from voicing my opinions instead of the people who do not care for the thread avoiding the thread. :rolleyes:

Yes, yes you will. Why? Because I JUST stated a few posts above (not to mention in other posts around the forum) that opinions can be attacked but NOT OTHER POSTERS. So yes, you WILL refrain from saying whatever you were going to say of those who avoid the thread.

I wasn't going to say anything to the people who avoid the thread! :confused: I'm really confused. All the comments I stated were no different than yours or Top. So why are my comments being the ones who are being addressed?

"Opinions of the people who do not care of the thread" followed by an eyerolling smilie sounds like you're implying something that's not very nice. If I misread it, my apologies, it's late, it's finals week, and we're all on edge around here from the snarking that's been going on.

abc said:
BittenByTheWolfe said:
abc said:

I wasn't going to say anything to the people who avoid the thread! :confused: I'm really confused. All the comments I stated were no different than yours or Top. So why are my comments being the ones who are being addressed?

I think that one was taken the wrong way because of the way it was phrased. Also, no-one is saying you can't voice your opinion?

LiquidCrystal said:
How long was she on the other shows? I've never seen them, so can't comment on that, but I'm just wondering how much time she had for each role. The only show I'm really familiar with is WaT, but I've never really watched it. I can see the deal with theatre as you say the same lines to the same play night after night after night, so after a while you don't have to search for the character as much after a while.

She was pretty big in the WaT -- the girlfriend of the African man who went missing and then the murderer of the African ambassador, because her boyfriend, part of a terrorist organisation, couldn't go through with it. The episode was pretty cheesey, and her acting fit right in.

The SVU I dont remember as clearly, but I remember being bored to tears by her acting. I dont even know how big her part was in it, but I know I wasn't impressed.

BittenByTheWolfe said:
"Opinions of the people who do not care of the thread" followed by an eyerolling smilie sounds like you're implying something that's not very nice. If I misread it, my apologies, it's late, it's finals week, and we're all on edge around here from the snarking that's been going on.

That's ok. I wasn't implying anything rude to the other people, except respect of opinions.

I just felt a little startled thinking that I was trying to go off on other members.

P.S, Lyn! What are you doing up so late/early?! :eek:

abc said:
BittenByTheWolfe said:

That's ok. I wasn't implying anything rude to the other people, except respect of opinions.

I just felt a little startled thinking that I was trying to go off on other members.

P.S, Lyn! What are you doing up so late/early?! :eek:

I'm sorry if you took what I said earlier the wrong way also - I'm just getting kinda tired of the argument being as extreme as it is and was trying to rein it in a little and get back to a debate.

And... I can't sleep. I'm going through an insomniac phase and my sleeping patterns are well and truly messed up. So I sit here til I'm too tired to do anything else, and then go sleep. So some of my posts this week have been quite grumpy, I confess.

The only other show I've ever watched Anna Belknap in is Medical Investigation. There, she had what I'd consider a minor role, since her character didn't do much and was mostly in scenes where she just had to explain things to the team or be ordered to do something. I must say Rossi (the character's name) did have some good moments on the series, but the other characters took precedence over hers most of the time. I have also seen her in Without a Trace, although, I didn't even know it was her until someone pointed it out in this forum much later.

As for the arguement that her acting may be suffering because she comes from a theatre background, there're many actors in Hollywood who also come from the same place. But, some of them are just as good on screen as they are on stage. In fact, there're also tv actors who move to theatre acting and do just fine. So, I don't see the theatre thing as a factor that influences her acting ability on screen.

My speculation is that part of the reason Anna got onto CSI:NY was to get a better and more prominent tv role than her previous ones. The show is getting more popular as we speak, so it's a smart move. I think this whole like/dislike Lindsay fiasco is as big as it is now because this is Anna's first major tv role where she's really one of the main stars, especially compared with her other roles. It's one of those things that will make people look hard at an actor and judge him or her more strongly.

Add that with how badly the writers handled Aiden's leaving, the lack of reaction from any of the other characters, the writers literally shoving the new girl in town down viewers' throats in too short a time and then lumping Lindsay with the most popular character on the show in order for more people to like her ... And we have what we call a chain reaction of negative factors that add up to the Lindsay must go mindset.

I'll be honest. If Lindsay had been introduced from the very beginning and the viewers were given more time and space to get to know her, I would have liked Lindsay a whole lot more. But, from the start, it has really felt to me as if the writers were too desperate to get viewers to quickly like her in light of Aiden's sudden leaving. So, in my case, it's not the character nor the actress I don't like. It was the way the character's introduction to the show and her subsequent, seemingly forced interactions with the other characters that irked me.

And this is my personal opinion and not meant to attack anyone or anything: so far, it has been difficult for me to see any relationship going past friendship between Danny and Lindsay. Their interactions in previous episodes show a lack of chemistry where romantic overtures are concerned. Lindsay seems to be crushing on Danny more than the two of them mutually liking each other. It would certainly be a shortlived and unhappy relationship if the writers do decide to put them in some romantic one. For a show like CSI:NY, I can't imagine two of the main characters being all lovey dovey every episode. That would be really corny and awkward, to say the least. Look what happened between Warrick and Catherine in CSI:LV. The writers there wrote them having interest in each other, and Warrick ended up marrying a character who wasn't one of the main cast. That was a good decision, in my opinion. And look what happened with Stella and Frankie! Frankie wasn't even one of the main characters, and they turned him into a wacko for drama. Poor Stella.

P.S. Sorry for the long post. And this is a tv show, dudes. Chill out, no need to get all mad and fight each other over fictional characters. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back