Why Aren't You Posting?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by MrsGiovinazzo, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiara4carmine

tiara4carmine Police Officer

I chose other, and this is why ...

1 - Here in Australia, the channel that airs NY has cut it off half way through S3, so even though Fay mentioned bringing it back up again when we see it, the point is, you guys are so far ahead there's not much point. When I have mentioned the odd thing here and there, it was either ignored, or no one wanted to comment.

So 2 - since you guys are into S4, there's not much point me commenting on the eps cause I have no idea what they're about and haven't seen them. But I do read the posts and new season info.

3 - I do read every post in the threads I like, but like others, I don't comment on everything, just those I want to. I do generally post in any thread to do with Carmine, but I have made comments in the odd thread here and there. I'm not a fan of Mac, Stella, etc, so there's no need for me to go into those threads. I did participate in Carmine's scrapbook last year, and the emmy nom. I wrote in a Hill thread, and some threads JKladis have made :eek: not that they need much thought or comment. :lol:

And with that, I'm sick to death of reading about Danny Bloody Messer and what type of glasses he's wearing, whether they're the same as last year, and how good he looks in white shirts! AAAAHHHHHHHH, There has to be something else to talk about????????? And no, not the banana!

4 - This is where I'm really going to express my thoughts and mind, and what you think of them is your business, not mine. So if you want to bitch about what I say and try and tear me to pieces, keep your crap yourself. And here's why.

As a newbie last year I found this board after googling Carmine. After reading a few threads I joined and made a few comments. Several people welcomed me and that was great. When I expressed an opinion about something and asked what others thought, there was a particular comment from a particular person that was uncalled for.

I was sliced and diced to shreads for asking for opinions. When I replied to the comment with something like - I didn't expect to be torn to shreads - her reply was - WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?

I didn't expect someone who was obviously having a bad hair day to take her shit out on me for asking a question I didn't know the answer to. I have since learned this person is younger than me so I understand her immaturity got the better of her. But still, as a newcomer, the scathing replies were hurtful, and I didn't contribute for a while.

A few months later, someone else asked the same question, and the person who ripped into me said nothing bad to the person who asked. So it looks like I got her at her worst. Poor me. :(

So to newbies reading this, I completely understand your comments in this thread. When you express your opinion and people think that gives them the right to rip into you when they don't, it hurts. I've been there, and I'm sorry for the way you're treated, because I know what it's like.

During the year and few months I've been here, more than half of my comments have either been ignored or glossed over. I've come to deal with that, because I don't always see a need to comment on what other people say either. This is the first board I've joined and it's a sharp learning curve in the process. To the newbies, please, understand that whatever comments people make about you, they don't know you and are irrellevant to your life. You do learn to ignore the hurtful comments, and realise that these people are in bitchy moods and that is not your fault, or your problem. Learn to ignore and gloss over, and you'll be fine.

I have read several bitch fests in some threads, between those who like Lindsay/Anna, and those who don't, etc and blah, blah, blah. State your opinion, say you agree or disagree with the person, but what the f*ck gives you the right to attack the person writing their comment? I cannot stand people like you and I don't give a f*ck if you like me and my comment but that's your problem not mine. I am allowed to state an opinion and NOT ONCE have I ever abused or insulted people on this board.

As a reader of posts I get SICK TO DEATH of bitching and ragging from immature imbeciles who think this is the place to air their anger. It isn't. And as the butt of said anger when I joined, I don't care to read it, or be at the end of it.

Let me tell you, slagging someone off is rude,disrespectful and down right disgusting. It says a lot about your mentality and you REALLY NEED TO GET OVER YOURSELVES.
    SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! This board CAN DO WITHOUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

And to prove my point, there's even been sniping back and forth on this thread.

That said, it seems that some people who joined just to slag off did leave when told off, thanks to our mods.

Why can't people start off their posts with - "I think that", or - "I believe this", or - "My opinion is", or - "I agree or disagree". Why do you need to bring your anger into your posts and pull apart the people in the thread for stating their own opinion? You're entitled to yours as they are to theirs, why do you need to be a bitch and tear people down for their personal thoughts when they're not being rude about the actor/relationship/character they're talking about?

I feel sorry for people who join and start making comments, only to be torn down by some people who can't get their shit together. It's hurtful, and hateful. And if these newcomers don't know english well, it seems to be even worse. Some comments are just mean, and it says a lot about the people making them. None of it good.

Unfortunately we all don't have balls of steel like our dear mod Mrs.G :lol: Some of us are emotional people and just have to grind our way through it, and learn to understand that you won't get along with everyone in this world, or on this board. Comments can hurt, but you get over it, and forget it to move on.

So to all the newbies, welcome :D and I hope you stay and make yor comments, just like I have today. I'd have to say, this is the most out there I've been. I don't see the need to make bitchy comments and air juvenile thoughts. If you want to behave like children, go punch up in a playground, not here!

So to our mods, please, please, pull people and their bitchy comments into line, because for me, it's a real turn off.

2. NinaM

NinaM Hit and Run

I chose "other" ... cause different things...

I at times really don't have the time to hang around forums no matter how much I would like to play...

Sometimes I also feel like I really don't have much to add to some points.. I don't really feel the need to go in with post seeing 10 before me stating the same thing I felt and go *ditto* and that's it.. so I usually leave it..

When I got onto this forum I took one look in the thread saw the snide remarks and negative attitude I just turned around knowing that hardly was the place for me... why I did that? well I'm on another show forum alot and let me tell you there are attacks left and right, snide horrible remarks, gloating when one side sees the other side didn't get what they wanted in an epi, or the most horrible remarks from some when they see the other side got some good stuff in an epi... aweful attacks on actors when they gave interviews stating a differnet opinion then those fans had,, and I came here and took one look at the threads and walked right out again seeing a part the same happening here...

Can we have different opinions,,,sure we can...I've never told anyone they have to feel or think like me,, do some do that,,sure... not just on this forum..it's everywhere.. and I don't shove down my opinion on anyone,, BUT I do expect then the same treatment back... I can handle someone having a different opinion then me,,and even have a discussion if it's valid criticism. I however isn't gonna tolorate when I say something posetive about a character/actor/pairing and get back..yeah well guess what she/he sucks.

I hardly say everyone is like that,,there are those "few" which just feels the need to stir up things, they see a posetive remark and they just have to get in there to give their snide remark of how much they hate that, with no real reason but just to get that out there to let just once again everyone know how much they hate that character or actor or pairing..

And yes groan all you want by me telling that yes I am a Anna/Lindsay/DL fan. If anyone doesn't like Lindsay/Anna or DL fine.. no problem,,whatever floats their boat.. but can we actually respect eachother and the actors behind these characters. If anyone has a thing against Anna's performance, or Gary's or Melina's ,, sure they have a right to it, but just to go in and state she/he suck. well sorry but I feel that is insulting to the actor/actress since I hardly think anyone here knows any of them in person. It's like some jerk you hardly know comes up to you and without any reason says *your mom sucks* isn't that gonna hurt both that someone and that someone's mom, same thing I feel here. how fun can it be if Anna knew that people she don't even know and who sure don't even know her tells al over the place how much she sucks. I've heard snide remarks with no valid reason only just because of an actor I met last year and it's no fun hearing, even though I don't know him in person only from the little I talked to him and spend time during a weekend I find it no way at showing the actor any kind of respect.

I hardly think any of this will go away sorry to say, but can we think a little more and act with understanding, and it's not just for the one side it's for all.

We shouldn't have to fear to post our opinions but in the end some will feel that when it nothing but jumping down that persons throat because they actually like something someone else might not. I may be a Lindsay fan but let's say I don't like Flack (I do like him,have to state that though, I actually like all characters on NY) when I see a post of someone saying they like Flack, I hardly go in there and tell them, yeah well Lindsay was awesome in this epi and yeah oh by the way Flack sucked, that is just pure snide remark and only to bait and a war is started, and done only because I saw a pro post of something I don't like then ohhh I have to set it straight I have yet again tell them that sucks .. what's the point in that, is that mature? hardly, it's so childish it's not even funny.

Gosh that got long,,must be the longest post I've ever done in here. But I've been in so many peace talks over at my other show I have a feeling nothing will really change, but if it would be able to happen in here then I will state that I'm impressed. I have no idea how many members this forum has so I'm not sure if it might be able to get better since it might be harder to get to many fans when some forums mabe have several 10000 fans and mods who are doing nothing more then trying to seperate blazing fire wars.

So thanks for putting up such a thread to find out the problem, if they can be worked out then great, if not it's hardly no surprise, but even if we just reach a few then that is better than nothing.

3. Joolz

Joolz Police Officer

I had to chose 'other' also.......

OK I do have a really busy life, with 5 kids it's never gonna be quiet....I find that with a big board like this, I've only just read everything I'm interested in and gotten up to speed before time's up and I have to run and get back to real life. I've noticed that sometimes people are chastised in forums for not putting enough content in posts, sometimes it's unavoidable, so instead of a post'ette' I tend not to post at all if I'm pushed for time.

I'm certainly not a fan of D/L or the Lindsey character but I don't think I've ever said anything spiteful or hurtful. I'm sure actors are thick skinned enough to take constructive criticism.

It took me a long time to make my first post on here. The sheer size and pace of the board overwhelmed me and it did seem like there were particular cliques that 'outsiders' were ignored in, so where I chose to post became an issue. After a while I just got over it and posted wherever I wanted, sometimes my comments were acknowledged, sometimes they weren't ....so what? I don't necessarily acknowledge comments after my own, don't have the time mostly.

I live in the UK and wont get to see season 4 until next year, so can feel pretty left out and running to catch up in the episode discussions. I do, however, never miss Top's reviews. It's just that without actually seeing the episode I don't feel qualified to comment.

Okay, said my piece......

4. Gaelen

Gaelen Coroner

I had to chose the option where my views are being attacked. I'm a D/L shipper and I'm perfectly fine and aware of the fact that not everyone shares my views however when any comment of mine about Lindsay and Danny or Lindsay as a character is taken apart and processed into scrap followed by another fact of how D/F is the one and only ship, I get irritated.

Shipping comments should stay in the respective threads and shouldn't just be added as an afterthought when not everyone agrees with you. It's pretty pointless when you're trying to read a review and someone comes in saying this character should've done it instead of Lindsay or that.

D/L shippers are probably a minority here and frankly sometimes I can't see much point venturing out of our shipper threads cos that's the only place where I don't have to defend and back up every word I say whilst others simply pick and stab.

This is a board and the views of others should be respected, not pried apart. Shipper comments should just stay in their threads, not everyone wants to read them but when they start appearing on gen. threads, you don't have much choice.

5. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

OK, the temperature has definitely risen in this thread. For those of you that have had bad experiences with people being snarky or hostile--that's what we're trying to remedy. It is a good reminder to remember that this is a TV show we're talking about, and not worth saying angry or cruel words to anyone over. We're real people discussing fictional characters. That's a good thing to keep in mind.

The Welcome thread issue--I've never been super keen on them because I think they turn into massive spamfests, but I'd love to hear from the newbies in here--do you think that a welcome thread would have made it easier for you to wade into the forum? Veterans--is this something you would have liked to see when you joined the forum? If people think this would help--and wouldn't get spammed up too much ;) --we can open one.

And welcome to our newbies in this thread! I'm glad you guys spoke up, and that you're here. :)

A few more points to address:

Others have already pointed out that this isn't true, so what's the point of furthering what you're referring to as a "shipping war"? Trying to thrust people into one camp or another only fans the flames. I've seen shipper wars before, and I don't want it to get to that point in this forum.

There's an old saying my English teacher used to throw out: "When you assume, you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me." The biggest mistake in a rational argument that you can make is to turn to the other side and say, "Well, you only think this because of that!" Let's try to actually listen to each other and not make assumptions about where the other side is coming from.

6. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Personally, I found the welcome threads a great way to join in. I was a little scared when I first joined, you all seemed to have your friends and it was a little hard to break into the 'cliques'. But that is true of any new situation. Once you have broken the ice, you're fine. Its just the intragation that is difficult. I found the welcome threads very useful for that reason.

However,I get your point, Top, about spam. People posting midless comments such as 'hi' and leaving it as that, then coming back later to repost. Maybe stricter rules could combat that?

Anyhoo. I have just realised I am actually new on the NY thread and have only ever posted in the D/L thread. I have been everywhere else though. Hehe so I guess it's hi from me. Its kinda odd actually, I live in NY but the NY thread is the one thread I have never ventured properly into...

Jodie
    xxx

7. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

Adorelo, if I haven't welcomed you before, welcome to Talk. You will like it here. We're getting the fun back! :D

8. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Thankyou my dear. I am not actualy new anymore, but I hadn't been in this neck of the woods. :lol:

If you guys do open a thread to gather in the new folks, I'd be happy to help with the welcoming, maybe help to encourage more posters?

9. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I think a welcome thread would be fine--I know the one in GenCSI doesn't get much in the way of spam. Plus, the opening post in that thread could list a few general rules to help people feel more confident about how the forum flows. ;) I think the pros would outweigh the cons overall. If it turned into too much of a hassle, the mods could close it at any time. ;)

10. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Yeah. What she said. :cool:

11. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

Thanks for quoting this, Fay. I missed it on my first read-through.

Top, I think an Intro thread would be a nice idea. Sometimes newbies' first posts get lost in the middle of other threads, and then a response welcoming them is often overlooked in the reply for the thread's topic.

As a veteran, I'm pretty sure the other vets and I would do our part to keep the Welcome thread spam-free, or as close to spam-free as can be expected. I do agree with Fay that a few general rules listed in the beginning would be advantageous to a successful thread.

12. dl_shipper34

dl_shipper34 CSI Level One

I think a 'Welcome' thread is a fantastic idea and a step in the right direction :)

ETA: Kudos to Top and MrsG for acknowledging this issue and taking action to sort it out :D

13. xxAnGeLheArtZ

xxAnGeLheArtZ Police Officer

I chose "other" because it's a mix of things: work, disinterest, and the hot topic that has been touched upon in basically the entire first page.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am glad each person is able to post what they feel (namely on Danny/Lindsay, Lindsay/Anna, and other talks related to those). But what is seen to be the negativity by some and not by others, has for me diffused into other threads in the forum leading me to become disinterested. It's fine because I do not pass judgment on those who are here posting and if I do not want to become involved with it or feel uncomfortable, I prefer to leave (even if that can be seen as weak/cowardly/stupid).

Despite that, one thing that the NY forum has as a plus is that posters do have a chance to express themselves from everything real to fiction. We can be creative. However, it becomes a problem when posters would like to express themselves but cannot without feeling like an apple amongst oranges.

I do not have a solution, nor do I have an idea in a better direction; however, the two spoiler threads idea is something more in a positive direction; the welcome thread idea is nice as well.

14. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

Hey, just joined... this thread made me join which is wierd.

I've been a lurker for a while now mainly in the spoilers thread and reviews thread. And from the UK but I'm not one who fusses that I see it early however starting to regret it as I find I hype the episodes up.

Basically I'm kinda a DL fan but I dont like watching the smushy stuff (I giggle at it), but I find as soon as it happens in a review everyone is like no its bad shouldn't happen.

I love the reviews cos they are honest but sometimes they focus so much on the downsides and not on the fact the episode was great (e.g. the latest one I found it great because they took it down a step and slowed down) but I also think part is that reading spoilers does up the hype.

I am in a way a pro lidsay I like she's different and quirky but what I find is the fact the title of the thread its "why she REALLY must go"... its almost scary, I dont see any other threads labelled like that, but I also understand people have views and opinions.

I hope I stay a while, taken me long enough to join.

15. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

Hey Dawni, it's nice to see you here. Welcome to Talk. :) I'm passing some brownies to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.