What's Your Occupation?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by eggbe4thechicken, Apr 28, 2007.

1. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

It sooo is. :lol:
    There is quite a mixed bunch isn't there? Just shows that not only scientists watch the show. :D

2. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

I'm a teaching assistant at an elementary school. I work with kids in grades 2-4 in a self contained classroom for kids that are emotionally disturbed. We have seven kids to three adults. That means that they get all their instruction in our classroom, with the exception of specials like gym, music and art.

Personally, I love my job and I love the kids I work with. I don't ever wake up in the morning with the "I don't want to go to work today" thought in my head. Yes, it's hard when the kids are having a bad day but lately, our good days outnumber the bad. They are some of the funniest kids I've ever come across...I'm gonna be sad when they move on from us in June.

3. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Very interesting thread :)

Here goes. I live in Markham, Ontario. For those that don't know Markham is just north of Toronto. I've been working in the retail sector for over 20 years now and for the last 6 years my hubby and I have been running out our pet food and supply franchise. We love it. We are our own bosses and it is a very rewarding job. Everybody needs food for the pets :)

4. eggbe4thechicken

Boomerang that sounds like such a rewarding job. I know someone who works at a special needs primary school, (is that the same as an elementary school? :confused:) she seems to enjoy her job as well. :)
    Do you not get new pupils every year, or do you get 'batches' if you see what I mean, one group of children who you see through the 3 years?
    I bet it's brilliant being your own boss, no one to blame but yourself, no nagging. :lol: Awesome. :D

Thanks for sharing everyone. ;)

5. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

Ok, I am from Portugal. I am an 8th grade student. You want to know what subjects do I have? Well, lets start: Portuguese, English, French, Maths, Natural Sciences, Phisic-Quemistry, History, Geography, Phisical Education, Visual Education/Technologic Education, Art&Design, Project Area, Supervised Study, Civic Education, Religion. Long list, huh? Thank God I don't have them all everyday, or my shcedule would be of 12 hours or something. It's enough and too much, in my opinion. :p I have no idea what I would like to be in the future. I just hope some idea comes to my mind soon!

6. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

I'd think so. Well, maybe it is. The school district I went to had a primary school, which was k-2 and then an elementary school which was 3-5. And my school has regular ed kids in it too.

It has rewards and benefits just like any other job, but it's very challenging some days too. It's hard for me to understand what's going on in their heads sometimes and when I don't understand, we both get frustrated. That's when it's not so much fun and not all that rewarding.

And as far as them moving on from us in June, it all depends on the demand of who needs our services. Like in the 2007-2008 school year, we're moving from grades 2-4 to k-2 because that's the group of students that needs us. Next year we could be grades 1-3 or something like that. It changes every year. Most of the kids from our class will be moving to a classroom similar to ours at a different school.

7. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Hmm, I'm nosy too, I'm always interested to know more about my fellow posters. :lol:

I am an Environmental Advisor, mostly providing advice about energy efficiency, water efficiency, renewable energy and sustainable waste management.

In addition I am also currently doing a PGCert on a part time basis in a related field, so I can still pretend to be a student every now and then, although last time I was at the university someone mistook me for the lecturer, so obviously I don't pass as a student quite as well as I thought. :lol:

8. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

I live in Los Angeles, so I have no idea what some of the things you all are tallking about are. Okay, I'm an 8th grade student, and I take Honors Geometry, Honors Physics and Chem, Honors English and Honors World History. In High School I plan to take lots of APs, play sports, go to a University, maybe out of state, and work in law enforcement, medicine, or anything to do with science.

I volunteer, which is close to working I guess. :lol: In fact today I went to my school to move boulders, plant 300 bushes, and paint a mural for Big Sunday. In High School I plan to get a part-time weekend job to raise money so I might be able to drive with these crazy gas prices when I hit 16. :lol:

Great thread egg. :D

9. 4ENSIX

4ENSIX Pathologist

I'm in high school still, and as such I am an overworked, underpaid student. I take full IB, which includes English, French, Chem, Bio, Math, History, and World Literature. I really enjoy it, though it's a LOT of work. I'll be going to university for sure, likely to take either a degree in Honours Chemistry or in Forensics. Maybe both. After that, I'll join the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to work for them as a crime analyst.

And no, it's not because of the show.

10. eggbe4thechicken

Awesome! You seen that video Billy Petersen did? :lol: I love that guy. :) I have a friend who is going to do Environmental science at uni next year. :)

You seen the prices in England? I've heard that America is cheap for petrol/gas compared to England. :confused:

:lol: Which came first for you, CSI (programme), or the career choice? For me it was the career choice. My mum told me one day, you know there is this show called CSI that you might like, it's about forensics. I was all 'Just because I like the subject, doesn't mean I'll like the programme.' :lol: Look what happened then. :p

11. 4ENSIX

4ENSIX Pathologist

You know what's really ironic? I live in the province Alberta of Canada, and we produce pretty much all of the country's oil and gas, yet the prices are the highest here. :confused: Whatever. :lol:

My career choice came before the show even aired! :lol: I was about six when I decided I wanted to be a police officer (I was ten when the show aired). Later, when I was eleven (still before I'd started watching the show), I really got into crime science, and I've wanted to do it ever since. :D

12. eggbe4thechicken

My parents had it in their heads that I wanted to be a doctor for ages, I sort of went along with it, you know? Then it came to choosing a degree, and I was like you know what? I don't want to do that, I'm not clever enough to even get into med school, so I made a spider diagram(I love spider diagrams, sometimes called brainstorms or mindmaps ;)) of what I could do with my A levels, and forensics totally popped out! :lol:

13. ilh214

ilh214 Pathologist

i'm a freshman in college and my major is broadcasting with an emphasis on radio/television operations and my minor is marketing. basically all that means is that i'll be qualified to be a station director which is what i want to do someday. right now i'm a weekend news anchor for a local country music and southern gospel station. i wouldn't be caught dead listening to any of the music they play but its great experience so i'll suffer through it. :)

14. mitzi

mitzi Prime Suspect

Nice thread, always nice to get to know a bit more about people on here!

Am living in Cork(weekdays) and Waterford(weekends) in Ireland. Studying BIS(Business Information Systems) in Cork. It's a 4 year course (am in year 2), has a mix of business subjects like marketing, management and computer subjects like programming(Java), Networking, Systems Analysis etc. I've absolutly no idea what I can become out of it, but I'm sure it'll all come together. This year a new course over here came out - Computer Forensics! Would have loved to have done it, but maybe I'll do it part time when I finish this one.

Work weekends in a dept store in my hometown. I'm the multimedia/stationary/nursury girl (my bosses obviously think I'm multi talented in that I can run 3 depts completly on my own! *rolls eyes*), but have made loads of really good friends working there so I guess that's a real good thing :)

15. KimAZ

KimAZ Prime Suspect

I live in Arizona and am in my second semester of community college. I'm studying to be a chef and working as a prep cook part time.