What Category Do I Belong In? Find out here! [Please rate/comment!]

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CSI_Kat, Sep 25, 2007.

1. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

Re: In what category I belong? - Icons

Wow! Loads of good icons crossing my way. Again... me being not the perfect persons to judge icon makers, but I'll give it another shot b/c of my PS-knowledge. Her we go:

1 - beginner :
    I like the colouring, also nice effects, but they are somewhat similar. I guess, you could improve just by cropping them differently. The rest is nice. :)

2 - intermediate which eventually will turn advanced :
    Wow! Tough one! Middle one is DEF advanced and lefty is quite advanced too, but compared to the middle one, it is rather intermediate. LOVE the one in the middle, nice colours, good font & brush work. But lefty and righty let miss the "special something" to be judged advanced in the end. They are all good cropped and coloured though. Like your style very much and I think it has great potential for becoming advanced very soon!! :D

3 - advanced! :
    Great artwork on such a tiny spot. Everything seems just right. The blue colour in the middle one is a bit over saturated on my screen, but anything else is just awesome. Nice work! :)

4 - rather advanced than intermediate :
    I like your style VERY much! :D This kinda outer frame thingy is working greatly for me. The colouring and lights are great. Still, the middle one is missing something... font, brush, whatever. So I'd say, it is advanced from the actual idea to most of the work, but intermediate in the finishing section, to give it the last "polish" so to speak... But that´s like the only thing that keeps you away from really stepping into the advanced section! Keep up that good work!! :)

5 - beginner :
    Like your ideas a lot, but the proportion thingy is somewhat irritating to me. So, colours and general cropping is cool, a bit more brush/font work could be nice too. :)

Again, that was an awesome bunch of icons. Thanks for sharing them. :)

ETA: Okay, after reading finally the other comments, I discovered I kinda wrote the same as cathwillows , but honestly, I haven't been reading that before! Pure coincidence. I also just could have wrote: See cathwillows' post. Same here... :lol:

2. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

1. Beginner
    I like that you chose different side of H's face. The lines are the same in each so it's hrd to tell what else you might be capable of. Keep going beause I like the simplicity.

2. Advanced
    Each are very difference in style yet have an ease to them that you definetly know what you are doing. The brushes etc aren't over done, so again I like the simplicity.

3. The first icon can go for advanced. The selective coloring is very nice and I like how you matched the shirt color to the text.
    The second two more for Intermediate because the lighting is too bright and starts to wash out parts of the people. The cropping is good. I liked the placement of the text in the third one.

4. Advanced
    I like the soft and simpleness of these and the different brushes used. The cropping was a very good choice and helps move the eye around the icon. I really like the snow lik effect on Stella.

5. Beginner or Intermediate
    I don't see anything wrong with the cropping, it works well with each individual icon. The bright contrast in the Greg icon works well with the darkness. Ryan being off center and the bright green works well too.

3. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

Such great icons this time! Great job everyone :)

#1-- Intermediate. The effects are great, and I think it takes knowledge in programs to know how to do that without butchering the entire icon (which was not the case with these icons). With a little more experimenting with different crops and colors, you'll be advanced in no time!

#2-- Advanced. #2 is what stands out in this batch, it's definitely advanced material. The others have nice crops and the colors are crisp and clear. Definitely advanced.

#3-- Advanced. #1 is just made of awesome :p But you have a great distinct method of coloring that stands out from the rest. You know what you're doing, clearly.

#4-- Intermediate. You're definitely on your way to advanced with these creative crops and colors. I would reccomend sharpening them a bit more to prevent blurriness :)

#5-- Beginner. Some great ideas, though I do think working on proportions would aid your icons greatly. Cropping the pics before shrinking them down to 100x100 pixels fixes that problem right up!

4. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

All the icons are really good, which makes this hard.

1) Intermediate. Again, you were able to do these without distorting the pictures in any way. The colouring and cropping are good as well. Don't be afraid to try something different! You seem to have a good eye.

2) I started to type that this one should be intermediate, but changed to Advanced because I couldn't really find anything to criticize :lol: Good work!

3) Advanced. Beautiful colouring! Other than that, I don't have much to say about these ones.

4) This is the one I had the hardest time with. I think I'm going to have to go with intermediate though. The icons are gorgeous, but some the the colours are just the tineyest bit washed out, and there are places that are either oversharpened or blurred. You're very close to being advanced, though.

5) Beginners. You've got some good ideas here. The icons are a little bit blurred, though. Some of the proportions are off just a bit as well.

5. Dragonfly

Sorry for the double post. Editing time has past.

Round Three: Banners
    You can start sending them in! (remember to send them to DragonflyDreamer) You may submit 2 or three signature banners. I'm not going to set you a due date, because I don't imagine I'll have trouble getting enough on time. I'll put the first round up on Friday, and if neccessary, we can do a second round.
    If you do not want comments on your banners, please let me know in your PM

~Any CSI cap from any of the 3 shows is acceptable
    ~No animations
    ~No vulgar words
    ~Please size all banners to the TalkCSI standards of 220x75

Until then, please feel free to continue commenting on the last round :)

6. Dragonfly

*Hides from mods for posting three in a row*

Okay, two things. I won't have time to put the banners up today. It'll be lateish Saturday before I have a chance. Also, I could really use some more banners. I've only had a few people send them in.

7. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

Okay, I'll try some. But I won't promise any quality...

ETA: Sent. Still... no quality work...

8. Dragonfly

Re: In what category I belong? - Banners

Alright, I guess that's all I'm going to get, so I'll go ahead and post them. You all know what to do :)

Set #1:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Set #2:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Set #3:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Set #4:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, anyone wanting to send in wallpapers can start doing that now :)

9. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

#1- Hard choice, you've got some good coloring and blending....but I think there is room to improve, as always, so I'm going to go with intermediate

#2 Beginners You have good use of brushes.

#3 I would have to say intermediate because of your use of teqnique.

#4 Beginners Your icons look a little green, try balancing that out with some other color layers.

10. Dragonfly

Come on guys, this doesn't work without your help. *Offers brownies*

11. Andreina

Andreina Lab Technician

#1 Intermediate--Pretty nice use of brushes and textures.
    #2 Beginners--Good use of textures but text I dont think there are like in the correct colors appropiate to the banner though could be the type of font. I would recommend you to be very careful when you are going to pick the font and the color however, white and black usually match in everything.
    #3 Intermediate-Love the first one.. though the second one I think the brush and text is out of place, I just dont see them matching the banner.
    #4 Beginners--Like Wyomin said they look greenish.. Try to dont put a lot of one color..balance the colors so that they could form neutral color sort of.
    Regards

12. that_girl1

that_girl1 Coroner

#1 Intermediate - Good colors and a nice blend on the second one.
    #2 Beginners - Good use of brushes.
    #3 Intermediate - Really nice use of brushes and the blend is very good.
    #4 Beginners - Looks green but it can use more brushes.

13. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

After reading the responses...I don't see anything that would help people improve if everyone says the same thing. IMO.

#1 Intermediate
    I lost the character on the right with I was looking at it, perhaps a bit more coloring on him would help him pop. The first one is awesome, I like the coloring, but the brush on the left take away from H.

#2 Beginner or Intermediate
    They are all very eye catching, the coloring works well. In the Greg one there is a lot of purple going on (not that it's a bad thing) just keeps the eye in the back rather then traveling around.

#3 Intermediate or Advanced
    The middle one pops very well and is quite eye catching. The end ones seems a bit sublte in the fact that the characters blend in. Having them stand out a but catches the viewer.

#4 Beginners or Advanced
    I like how the radioactive one have the sense that Greg is glowing, like he really is radioactive. It doesn't look too green at all. As for the Ryan one it's a bit yellow but it works well with the colors of the wall that he is next to. the orange text helps move the eye around the banner.

14. Dragonfly

I think I'm going to try to get the next round up thursday night. I'm collecting wallpapers this time, but if there's anyone else who wanted to send in banners, I'll take those too.

Until then, please keep posting in here. We haven't had much of a response for this round.

15. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

OK, I'll try to comment on the banners, too.

Hmmm...

#1: Intermediate to Advanced - you definitely know how to crop, blend etc., but... I don't know...perhaps s/t a bit less is more? I hope this helped in any way *blushes*

#2: again tough one! the third is - in my eyes - 100% Intermediate, nearly Advanced, but the first and second one are somewhere between beginners and intermediate. Perhaps play a bit more with contrast and light(effects) on them :confused:

#3: same as #1: Intermediate to Advanced. It's perfect cropping and blending, also great coloring, perhaps a bit more contrast and light?

#4: still Beginners but I guess it won't take long till you're Intermediate. Honestly the coloring isn't my fav, but that's just a matter of taste. The cropping is good but the subjects Ryan and Greg look a bit squeezed. (or my eyes are deceiving me...) When you crop and resize the pictures, you have to set "Keep aspect ratio", this will avoid the squeezing.