What Category Do I Belong In? Find out here! [Please rate/comment!]

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CSI_Kat, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Re: In what category I belong? - Icons

:lol: You make perfect sense Vera. Basically, it's nice to give feedback on areas where the icon maker could improve whilst also commenting on what they are doing well. ;)

Although I agree that it would be good to look at all the icons from one maker as a whole. Because that way you could do one icon focused on colouring, and another of effects/blending etc... Rather than trying to incorporate everything in each icon... ;) And you would then get feedback based on your whole repertoire, so to speak...

2. mitzi962000

mitzi962000 CSI Level Two

i submitted my two, i think it really is a good idea if all the experts out there, gives comments, i,d love to know where i am going wrong :D

3. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

Ok I agree! I will group them together by icon maker - still no names though. I think feedback would be wonderful. I know I am one that always wonders how I could improve!! What I will probably do is once I get about 20 icons I will post those and we can start looking at those for a few days. Entries can still be submitted for as long as we need to do this....I will just keep putting 20 or so up at a time until it is done. Sound good?

4. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Me too! Though, I think most of us do :lol:

If you need any help Kat, or if you want to rotate or something, just give me a shout!

5. CSI_Kat

Thanks Meg - I was actually hoping you would do the banner or wallpaper one! :D

6. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Lol... I'd had just been thinking along the same lines. Maybe when the first icon one is over, we could have one for banners? Or maybe we could have a seperate thread for banners and wallpapers (maybe combine them, as there is only one challenge for each)

7. CSI_Kat

Ok we have our first 20 icons (why can't we ever get challenge icons this fast? :lol:)

So I will list them by icon maker and you should rank by icon maker and make any comments you feel would be helpful per icon. Please rank either beginner, intermediate or advanced. Also - if you feel like 1 icon is beginner and another is intermediate - please note that as well.Please keep the icons coming in - we can do as many rounds of this as necessary!

Icon Maker #1
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Icon Maker #2
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Icon Maker #3
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Icon Maker #4
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Icon Maker #5
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Icon Maker #6
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Icon Maker #7
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Icon Maker #8
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Let me know if there are any issues!

8. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

Oh! One quick question-- do we vote for ourselves? Because if we don't that kind of lets everyone know who made which icons :lol: :p

9. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

right! i wanted to ask the exact same thing :lol: *high five* if we don't vote for ourselves, everyone will know who made which icons. but i think it would be okay to vote for yourself as this is just to get an idea in which category you should enter and you can't 'win' anything.

10. mitzi962000

mitzi962000 CSI Level Two

i dont think that it will matter voting for ourselves, after all, we will probably be a lot harsher with our placing in the catergories than others will :lol:
    sooo, shall i start it off

1 - advance
    2 - intermediate
    3 - advance
    4 - advance
    5 - beginners
    6 - advance
    7 - advance
    8 - advance

a good job well done :D, mind i think voting in the challenges, sometimes comes down to your favourite characters :lol:
    sorry no comments from me, as my skills are useless :)

11. CSI_Kat

Rank yoursekves where you think you belong and compare it to everyone else!!!

12. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

mitzi, your skills are NOT useless! *slaps head* ;)

And you're right: voting for yourself won't affect s/th.
    (nevertheless, I guess I know what icons you made, Steffi, Ann and mitzi :p ) Of course everybody should stay "professional" and try to make the right performance rating, unattached of whether you know/recognize the icon maker or not - I'll try it too, later... ;)

13. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

hey where is everyone? nobody wants to rate the icons? okay i'll do it.

#1 - intermediate: good colouring, nice cropping. you could have used another font for the icon on the left, a graffiti-ish ( :lol: ) font might have fit better. and the icon on the right looks a bit grainy (cath's arms and face)

#2 - beginner: a screen layer on the doc robbins icon would've been helpful and the brushes (those orange thingies) don't really fit i think. maybe you could have used a texture or something else...

#3 - i dither between intermediate and advanced. the first is definitely advanced quality! great colours, nice texture and brushes. the second and third one are rather intermediate. ryan looks grainy maybe it's because of the texture. you could have erased the part that covers him.

#4 - intermediate i would say. the icons are good but not really eye-catching. a more creative cropping might have done the trick.

#5 - beginner: the icons look pale, sharpening and a soft light layer could have been added. the texture on the second icon doesn't fit the icon and what is that white spot between speed and his hand?

#6 - intermediate, maybe advanced: the first icon is smooth but sharp at the same time. nice colours. i love the light effect/texture in the third one! interesting choice of colours in the second one. but hey, why not?! ;)

#7 - intermediate, rather advanced i think. smooth, nice colours.

#8 - advanced. the same as above. oh i wanted to add, i could have lived without the tiny text brush on the sara icon :lol:

okay i hope that was of any use :rolleyes: but it was a pleasure taking a closer look at the icons. :)

14. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

That's true Vera :lol: Okie-dokie, let's see...

#01-- Intermediate. Very nice colors except the icons look just a little bit grainy. The font on icon #1 kind of blends into the background, so it's a little hard to read, but it's a nice choice because it fits the graffiti :)

#02-- Beginner. I think cropping them a bit differently would have prevented them from looking stretched-out, but it's a problem that can easily be fixed!

#03-- Intermediate. I think anyone who knows how to use a texture like in icon #1 knows what they're doing :p The other icons look a bit grainy, and the text is a bit oversharpened in the Ryan icon.

#04-- Intermediate. The colors look slightly washed-out.

#05-- Beginner. I love that these icons have nice textures, however they are slightly blurry and take away quality from the overall icon. The colors are a little washed-out.

#06-- Intermediate. I have to say I love the colors and textures used, however I think the black border in icons 2-3 actually made it slightly larger than 100x100 pixels.

#07-- Advanced. Nice colors and obviously, if you know how to make slices and use the correct texture for icon #3, you know what you're doing :p

#08-- Intermediate to Advanced. The first Sara icon is a little bright along her face, and the gaussian blur emphasizes this.

15. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

#1 Intermediate. i think the icons look really good, you can see the icon maker is not totally new to the whole fanart experience, but still has to work on placing decorations and managing contrast.

#2 Begginner. i like the crops but the icons lack this special icon *feel*, that there was some work done on the layers etc.

#3 Intermediate. i love the cropping, and how you managed to add the textures so nicely but they seem too dark to me.

#4 and here i have a problem. b/c the first icon has definitely an Advanced look, but the two remaining are Intermediate to me, basically b/c of the coloring.

#5 Beginner. i see a lot of potential in this icon maker, some great ideas that i've never really seen before. the technique needs a bit of polishing though (the faces are streched, the coloring is not very icon-like).

#6 Intermediate. and here i go again, the first icon looks Advanced but the rest is Intermediate, although i see that there's been some advanced techniques used to make them.

#7 Advanced. great style, awesome ideas. nothing else to add.

#8 Advanced. just ... amazing. the person who made them knows very well they are advanced, they just wanted to hear it from us! lmao ;)