What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Choups

Choups Victim

I've just started "I heard that song before", Mary Higgins Clark.
    It's quite interesting so far :thumbsup:

2. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I have to read 1984 by George Orwell for English class. It's okay but it's not something I'd read if I didn't have to.

3. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i just finished a biography on Ingrid Bergman. it was so fascinating. she was such an interesting person. what i loved about the book was reading how much she loved to act, that's all she ever wanted to do. she made a movie when she was so sick with cancer and then died 4 months after the movie was made. if that's not dedication to what you love to do i don't know is.

now i'm reading a book on the building of St.Peter's Basillica. it's very interesting so far. in the book it takes about the raising of the basillica that Constantine built and how the mosaics and some of the art in it were not saved. even though this happened hundreds of years ago i was going so mad!! i hate it when art gets destoryed or not saved. the money that went into the building of the basillica could probably feed the people in Africa for years and years.

4. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Well I put Twilight down for now because I decided to start reading The Birth House by Ami McKay. It's a really well-written fictional book about midwifery versus medical science in the early 1900s set in Nova Scotia.

It resonates with me given my background (my parents were from Prince Edward Island but most of my family were from Nova Scotia) so the Eastern references have me nodding in recognition.

5. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

Once I started I could not put the books down. I had all 4 read in about 1 1/2 weeks.

6. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i'm very proud of myself i read 3 books over my college winter break. i haven't read 3 books in a month like i did in a long time.

i finished my Basilica book and now i'm reading Daphne Du Maurier's novel Rebecca. the Hitchcock movie of the novel is one of my fave movies so i had to read the book it was based on.

7. SheShotSherlock

SheShotSherlock Witness

i just started with twilight, all of my friends have read it and everyone said it's totally worth it, so i gave it a try :)
    and i already fell in love with it

8. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

Thats what i ended up doing and now sufferering from finishing them so fast, keep having this temptation to go reread them again.

Breaking Dawn was really good I thought and the ending although i felt could have been so much better it was very very apt for there story that it ended the way it did.

9. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

I sooo wanna read Twilight it looks soo good :).

At the moment I'm reading His Darkest Materials. I'm on the first book Northern Lights. So far so good!

I wanna read Twilight as soon as I'm done with this series!

10. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

I'm close to end book "City Of Saints and Madmen" by Jeff VanderMeer. This one got World Fantasy Award. It's the story of imaginary city Ambergris - book has a strange construction, you have there books in book, short novels, stories. It's a big collage about Ambergris. Good book for anyone who loves secretful books which you can read many times and find in the same stories new things:)

Personally, I love this kind of fantasy - not classic a la Tolkien with elves, dragons etc. but with totally different worlds and ideas.

11. SheShotSherlock

SheShotSherlock Witness

you gotta read it.. it's amazing, one of those books you can't put away :thumbsup:

12. andunesilme

andunesilme Lost in the parking lot

I just finished reading Breaking Dawn (Stephenie Meyer) and before that I read the other 3 books from the same series. I enjoyed reading them, but I must say that they don't make it to my top 10 books -list... I wish there would've been some chapter like '20 yrs later' or something (not with weird ending, like in the last Harry Potter, but something like that, where writer tells how things settled..), but I always, after reading even a decent book, end up wishing that.. Obviously I don't like just imagining things in my head, I must see the later-part in canon :guffaw:

Bwah. I should study right now to my finals, but .. I just started the 4th book again (Breaking Dawn). From the middle. Haha, I don't like the beginning that much. Last trilogies I read was Robin Hobb's The Farseer Trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy, so it's nice change to read finally something that ends well. I got really frustrated with the Farseer Trilogy because of the main characters luck.

13. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

I'm reading The Magus by John Fowles. It's about a young man who started to teach in a privet school on the small island, Pharox, in Greece. Story is quite strange 'cause main character met an older man who took him into his strange psychological game 'cause he's living with mental ill girl - but this thing we can't be sure. Nothing there is clear and many answers you can't find. It's important to read it very carefully.

So many people here are reading Meyer's books. Surely it's a good story to relax but definitely not my type. Maybe one day I'll read it but now I have so many books which I want to read at first.

14. andunesilme

andunesilme Lost in the parking lot

I first thought that they wouldn't be my type either, but eventually I must admit that they were quite good (krhm, okay, maybe i still think 'not my type', but anyway anyhow). I had time to read the series only 1 week ago, so I took the change and read them..

15. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Of course, maybe I'll like them in some way but they're so far on my reading list... But who knows? Possiblity that I'd like to read them for a relax is big. I've just never was too much into vampire stories (if they're from other planet, I'm into, lol) and not a fan of romance - it just sounds too sweet for me but definitely I'll give a try for, at least, one book:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.