What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

^^^ You'd be surprised how quickly you can pick up Middle English after reading The Canterbury Tales for a while. I found myself using the glossary at the bottom of the page less and less until it sort of came naturally for the most part. And yeah, I did really enjoy it. :) I did Beowulf in that course too, which I really enjoyed.

Anyway, good luck with Chaucer.

I am currently reading the follow up to "Wicked" called "Son of a Witch", and while I'm not finding it quite the page turner that Wicked was, it's still quite good. I think I'll hold off on the 3rd one after this though- sometimes you need a break or you get sick of an author.

I'm also reading Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore. His books always make me laugh out loud (which can be embarrassing when you're sitting in public somewhere, reading! :lol: ) and this one is no exception. I think I preferred a couple other of his that I've read, but he still has this flair for bizarre and somewhat supernatural comedy that I totally appreciate.

On a side note, I'm also re-reading The Wizard of Oz. I LOVED that series as a child- it was like my Harry Potter! :)

2. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

I'm currently reading Belladonna by Karin Slaughter. It says on the cover "Don't read it in the dark. Don't read it when you're alone"....well it's not that scary, at least not yet. Not giving anything away here, it's on the cover It's about a female pediatrician and part-time pathologist who finds a woman in a rest room. She has two deep cuts in her stomach which form a cross. All attempts to save her life fail. Turns out she had been raped and she was blind.

3. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I'm quite well versed in Chaucer, thanks for the well wishes. I've read all of The Canterbury Tales in high school for advanced placement class, sadly I was the only one who really got it. Guess some don't get the British humor. :lol:

4. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I'm reading some book called "Dooley Takes the Fall" by Norah McClintock (?). So far it's about this kid who committed some crime that has to do with a baseball bat (that's really all the book has said so far, it's some big mystery). He's also a former drug addict, as far as I can tell. He witnessed some kid jumping/falling/being pushed off of a bridge, and everyone thinks he had something to do with it since he was a criminal. This is one of the books we're supposed to read for the book club. I'm so cool. :lol:

I also have out "Message in a Bottle" by Nicholas Sparks. I LOVE his books so much, but I haven't gotten around to reading this yet. Hopefully soon.

5. bookgirl20

bookgirl20 CSI Level Two

I'm reading "First Person Plural" by Cameron West. Its a first person account of a man diagnosed with Dissociative identity disorder (formerly multiple personality disorder) and his efforts trying to deal with his mental health issues, and how it effects him and his family.
    Its awesome! A very interesting perspective of a disorder that is interesting, confusing and frankly kind of scary. I found it especially interesting when Cam describes what it felt like to switch between "personalities".

6. bookgirl20

bookgirl20 CSI Level Two

I'm reading "Pretty Little Mistakes" by Heather Mcelhatton. I love that I don't have to worry about ruining the end because there's like over a 100 of them! Its subtitled "a do-over novel" and its like those choose your own adventures I remember from when I was a kid, except instead of choosing whether to enter the lair or doom or fight the oncoming sodiers (thats the kind of thing that sticks in my head from those books) in this novel you're choosing to marry or not to, go to college or travel, etc. And it leads you to some very interesting outcomes. I love that the "right" choice doesn't always lead to the happy ending and the questionable one sometimes turns out far better than you could have ever thought. Sometimes.

Its very fun and always unique. The only downfall is I end up with about four bookmarks scattered through out the novel because i want to go back and see where the paths I didn't choose led to..over and over and over :D

7. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

right now i'm reading Breaking Dawn. i'm like dragging through this book, the story is soo good but the writting in horrible. it's not just BD it's for all the Twilight books. but they've been my crack for the past 2 months and i can't stop reading them.

the next book i'm going to read is called Strapless. it's about a painting in the Metropolitan Museum called "Madam X". there was a lot of controversy around the painting when it was shown in Paris in the 1880s and it's a beautiful, commanding painting.

8. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Finally, I'm reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons. One of the best sci-books ever - for me it's the same very high level like Dune by Frank Herbert. It's amazing story in which seven people to help savin their worlds they need to sacrifice on the planet Hyperion. They'll meet a mysterious creature - Shrike - it's "a organic killing machine" and an object of the cult. Book Hyperion is first from the tetralogy.

I love sci-fi books. Next time I'll want to read Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delaney.

9. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I'm reading Keeping Faith by Jodie Picoult. I just started it so I don't have much to tell you other than it's quite good. It's about a woman who comes home, finds her husband with another woman and leaves him. Shortly thereafter her daughter starts to recite scriptures from the bible even though has never benn to church.

I like it. The author switches from first to third person narrative quite often which makes it a real page turner as you don't know whose perspective you'll be getting next. Even the philandering husband gets a voice in this one.

10. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

I'm reading a book! Seriously! I haven't read on for a long time, and I kinda missed it. I'm reading CSI: Cold Burn. I've had it for ages, but I've never had time to read it... till now :)

11. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I just finished Atonement. I started it a long time ago. It just seemed so wordy to me. I did see themovie and the book is pretty true to the movie, but it took me SOOOO long to get through it. :rolleyes:

Now I started reading a book called The Dance by a Northwest author Jamie Davenport. It's a 'romance' and it's set in the Northwest. The heroine owns a horse and the sexy latin neighbor can't keep his eyes off of her... I know romance novels turn out pretty much the same way, but the author is also my sister-in-laws close friend.

12. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

I'm reading Stephen Fry in America (obv by Stephen Fry), I'm sure many of you won't know who he is, but he's a British actor/presenter/novelist, his book is about his tour of America, in which he visited all 50 States, each state has a chapter dedicated to it, in which he talks about his experiences while being there, the people, the sites, the things he did, etc, it's fantastically written, very quirky and gives a great insight into what he experienced and how the States is so much different that Britain, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. :D

13. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

^^ Suprisingly, I know who Stephen Fry is. :) My friend talks about A Bit of Fry and Laurie all of the time (she's obsessed with Hugh).

Anywho, I am reading "The Kid: A Season with Sidney Crosby and the New NHL" Obvisously it's about hockey and the Pens' Sidney Crosby. It follows through Crosby's 05-05 rookie season, from when he first started in the NHL to when he became his team's leading scorer.
    It makes me feel like traitor reading this since I'm a Rangers fan, but Sidney is my guilty pleasure. ;)

14. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

I just started reading Twilight. I doubt I would have ever bought it for myself. I got it for a birthday gift from my sister-in-law last week. Seems pretty good so far.

15. LtKitty

LtKitty Pathologist

watched movie and now i am reading Twiligh - Fool moon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.