What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i just finished reading Murder on the Orient Express. i watched the movie 2 times before i actually read the book. i like both very much. the book was quite interesting, i have 3 people that want to read it now.

now i am reading a book The Lost Painting by Jonathan Harr. it's about the search for this lost paitning by the Baroque painter Caravaggio called The Taking of Christ. so far it's interesting. i'll most likely be done with the book by the end of the week.

2. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

I just started Whiskey Straight Up by Nina Wright tonight.

3. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

I'm reading Little, Big by John Crowley. Again I've started a very strange book where reality and world of elves and other fantastic creatures is close but still hiding. Not everyone can invade it except one family - Drinkwaters. Book is written in a great way - language is very subtle. Definitely it's fantasy but this kind which I like.

4. SheShotSherlock

SheShotSherlock Witness

i finally bought myself a sherlock holmes book yesterday, it's the first one

a study in scarlet by conan doyle

it's amazing !!

5. CSI24

CSI24 Victim

I checked out a book from the library and it is awesome! It is called House of Rain. It is about tracking the ancient civilization the Anasazi across the midwest.

6. CoachMom

CoachMom CSI Level One

Charlie Bone and the Beast. I like to try to read some of what my students are reading that way I can recommend a good book.

7. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

The Wanderer by Fritz Leiber. Next sci-fi book, definitely hard sci-fi, a "planet" replaced the moon and 'cause of that on Earth are many tragedies - tsunami, earthquakes, floods. Army wants to contact possible creatures which they could be on Wanderer.

8. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

I am currently reading Plea of Insanity by Jilliane Hoffman. I read Cupido and Morpheus and liked them so I thought this one might be worth reading. And so far, it is. It is about the murder of a mother and her 3 children with the father as prime suspect. I'll post the amazon review in spoiler tags for those who don't want to be spoiled...

[...]A successful Miami surgeon and devoted family man. The victims—Marquette’s own wife and three small children. The perfect father and model husband, David Marquette seemingly just snapped. His experienced defense team claims paranoid delusions caused by schizophrenia drove him to slaughter his entire family.
    But the state suspects Marquette’s insanity defense is being fabricated to disguise murders that were cold blooded and calculated. Worse, Julia believes Marquette could be responsible for a string of unsolved, brutal homicides. Could he be one of the most prolific and elusive serial killers in the country’s history? To bring him to justice, Julia must embark on a terrifying personal journey back into her own past[...]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  9. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Ok, call me crazy... I've been today close to end The Wanderer and well, it happened. I haven't been thinking to start next book today but I couldn't stop myself - Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge. This SF novel is based a bit on a fairy tale by H. Ch. Andersen. Typical scenery of space opera - planets, starships, romance, jealousy...

10. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I have just started "The Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. I'm not sure whether I like the format of it or not... the sort of "her side" "his side" juxtaposition. Not to mention I don't usually enjoy stuff written in the fist person. However, I'm not usually one to give up on a book after only a few chapters so I'm going to slog on and see how it goes. A friend of mine loved it so...?

11. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

Death of a Six-Foot Teddy Bear by Sharon Dunn

12. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

I'm reading Helliconia Spring by Brian W. Aldiss. It's about planet Helliconia and creatures which are living there. It's first book of three (Summer and Winter). My favorite kind of SF - on other planet and creating of the different culture.

Am I crazy? I'm only reading and reading, lol.

13. Kemy

Kemy Dead on Arrival

I read "The client" by John Grisham.
    And for school I am forced to read "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Die Leiden des jungen Werther"..that is boring.

14. Deirdre

Deirdre Coroner

Oh, that book is really good. I enjoyed it.

You're reading it for school? We don't have this one like many other books from US.

Oh no, that's one of the worst things ever. Goethe's Faust is really great but Werther, c'mon... The most funny was that teacher said to us that we usually like things like that 'cause it's about love blah, blah, blah... Boring! I don't like when books are written in a way like letters. Sometimes it's good but not in this case. Weltschmerz? No, thank you.

15. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

The Forge of God by Greg Bear

and

Zodiac by Robert Graysmith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.