Was Danny abused as a child?

he's more of a runner than a confronter....

I don't know if I'd say that...he's pretty hot under the collar and tends to give people attitude. I wouldn't call him confrontational, either, because he's not really direct about it. He's very passive-agressive. Rather than telling Mac he disagrees with him, he just disobeys him. Rather than actually yelling at the son of the gypsy cab driver, he makes innuendos and pisses the guy off so that the guy comes at him.

He almost seems to prefer to egg people on until they turn on him. Which, of course, would makes on hell of a self-fulfilling prophecy. How can anyone help him out if Danny essentially pushes them away?

he pushes people until it becomes their fault that they snap and lash out at him... he avoids responsibility of the situation...

...and the pushing away is another defense mechanism for him...

he pushes people until it becomes their fault that they snap and lash out at him... he avoids responsibility of the situation...

...and the pushing away is another defense mechanism for him...

Yeah, definitely. That's classic passive aggressive. It's a way for Danny to act out and then blame other people when they get upset with him or let him down. It's definitely a defense mechanism, and also a way for him to prove he's right. I'm sure his impression at the end of "On the Job" was that Mac let him down, rather than that his own actions invalidated the evidence that Mac had.

yeah... he wanted Mac to go by his word, rather than by what the evidence said... it's like the 'intuition' thing in "A Man A Mile"...

Yeah, but Danny knows (because Mac told him in "A Man, A Mile" and because he's been a CSI for years) that that's not the way things work. He knows the evidence trumps witness accounts/intuition. And Mac and Flack both told him to sit tight. He didn't. He kinda got tunnel vision and it seemed in his eyes that anything he did was better than trusting the others.

Danny has some issues. Something must have happened somewhere. But I'm not sure it's child abuse.

Danny has some issues. Something must have happened somewhere. But I'm not sure it's child abuse.
Why don't you think it's child abuse? Love to hear yer thoughts on this.

Danny seems to withdraw into himself in rough situations. Like in On the job. He seems try and close himself off from everyone else because of his lack of trust.

He seems to close himself off from everyone because he thinks he's on his own and no one is there to help him. Perhaps he when he was abused when he was younger, he tried to tell someone, maybe his father if he wasn't the abuser, and they didn't listen. It could explain his trust issues.

Perhaps its his lack of trust that prevented him from telling Mac everything about the Tanglewood gang. He didn't feel he trusted Mac enough to tell him.

I had some new thoughts on the Danny abuse scenario prompted by a reviewing of "Recycling" the notion that Danny attempts to force people into a confrontation, and the whole Oedipus thing he has going on with Mac. Now bear with me - We know Danny's mother is deceased, but we don't know how old he was when she died, now most of my theory stems from the idea that Danny's father was emotionally abusive and at some point turned to or added physical abuse into the mix. I think the physical abuse followed the emotional abuse, and I think Danny's mother took the brunt of the abuse until her death. Now, her death coupled with the gypsy cab incident (which I believe is important because the writers shaped an entire case around that part of Danny's history) sent Danny's father into a downward spiral and his abuse escalated. Now here comes a huge piece of conjecture, I think Danny is the oldest child,and he protected his siblings from their father. What if Danny drew attention to himself, egging his father on, to keep the abuse away from his younger siblings; something his mother may have done while she was alive.

Did anyone else notice that Danny was gnawing on the inside of his jaw while confronting the pedophile in "Recycling?" I don't think Danny was sexually abused, but it seems like someone close to him was.

Ali

NICE!!!

that is a great way to look at everything that has happened so far, well done... Danny does appear to be that type of person and, he might as well be the oldest sibling.

he was kind of endgy in that ep... maybe he has a younger sister who was abused sexually?

I mentioned this in the A Man A Mile thread as well but i think it is worth repeating here. In the scene where Danny and Mac are questioning the brother in the hospital if you look in the corner of the screen Danny seems more figitiy than normal and he also does not seem to be able to look Joe in the face. He keeps dropping his gaze to the floor.

I had some new thoughts on the Danny abuse scenario prompted by a reviewing of "Recycling" the notion that Danny attempts to force people into a confrontation, and the whole Oedipus thing he has going on with Mac. Now bear with me - We know Danny's mother is deceased, but we don't know how old he was when she died, now most of my theory stems from the idea that Danny's father was emotionally abusive and at some point turned to or added physical abuse into the mix. I think the physical abuse followed the emotional abuse, and I think Danny's mother took the brunt of the abuse until her death. Now, her death coupled with the gypsy cab incident (which I believe is important because the writers shaped an entire case around that part of Danny's history) sent Danny's father into a downward spiral and his abuse escalated. Now here comes a huge piece of conjecture, I think Danny is the oldest child,and he protected his siblings from their father. What if Danny drew attention to himself, egging his father on, to keep the abuse away from his younger siblings; something his mother may have done while she was alive.

It's an interesting possibility. I could sort of see it, though I'm not sure Danny has the older sibling vibe. Aiden and he have a kind of brother/sister relationship, and she seems to be looking out for him more than vice versa. Of course, Aiden is a more stable person, so maybe Danny doesn't see any need to be proctective. I guess I have this image of him as an only child. I'd love to know one way or another.

EDIT: I do think that the idea of Danny provoking his father is a really interesting one. I could see him do that as a way of rebellion, even if it would make things worse for him. Danny seems to like to push the envelope. That could have been his way of maintaining some sort of control--showing his father that the abuse wasn't going to cow him.

Did anyone else notice that Danny was gnawing on the inside of his jaw while confronting the pedophile in "Recycling?" I don't think Danny was sexually abused, but it seems like someone close to him was.

See, I thought his behavior in this scene was really weird. He was confrontational, but not in the way he was in say, "The Dove Commission" once they got the killer, or in "Hush" when confronting the husband. It was strange. He was putting himself in front of the guy and taunting him. Which is what led me to believe that Danny might have been sexually abused...he was almost trying to provoke a reaction.

His question to the molester, "What, am I too old for you?" That was weird. It was challenging the guy to look at Danny in a sexual way. There's something off with that, especially coming from a guy.

Like I said before, I kind of doubt they'd go the sexual abuse route with Danny (though it's not impossible), I don't see Danny's issues with abuse coming from observing bad things happening to other children. I think whatever has given him a complex is something that happened directly to him, not something he observed happening to someone else.

Back