Was Danny abused as a child?

I'm with csifeline, I don't think Mac handled that situation well. Mac wants Danny to respect him and his decisions, but disrespects Danny by publically chewing him out. Not very effective management there.

In Crime and Misdeamenor when Mac was yelling at him Danny tried to protest with something like "so it doesnt count" Mac just glares at him and Danny immediately backs off and apologizes.

Also something interesting. I just started watching CSI:Miami and I borrowed the DVD's off a friend of mine. I rewatched the cross over with Miami and New York and when Horatio mentions that they fume at the scene Danny comes in. I just realized that Mac said something like I had you at the bodega in Queens. Danny says that he heard a cop was killed and he figured Mac could use a guy like him. Then Mac asks if he gave the Bodega to Aiden and Danny says he has senority over her. Sounds like Danny put him self on the case. So even as far back before season one started Danny was already disobeying Mac.

I agree that Mac didn't handle it very well. He should have took Danny into his office if he wanted to yell at him.

From what you guys have pointed out Danny doesn't think too highly of himself. He's expecting to do things wrong so when he does and gets yelled at, i think he's basically expecting it.

I don't know what Danny was thinking.
As well as with the end scene, I wondered what was going through his mind after Mac had told him to pass on the case. He was obviously thinking very hard about something as he stood watching Mac in his office. I thought it was sweet when Mac reached out to touch Danny but maybe that actually triggered the act of rebelliousnous? What did you think of his posture during that scene, Top41 ?

The adult thing to do would have been to go to Mac (knowing Mac would already know anyways), admitting he disobeyed orders and admitting he was wrong. Mac might have still been pissed, but at least he could have respected that.
He really didn't expect Mac to be as pissed as he was, that's for sure. It was the end of the day and he just wanted to go home. Maybe if he'd had the chance to think about it he would have said something to Mac the next day but Mac came charging up and caught him off guard. Did he actually do anything wrong legally?
I also wasn't impressed with Mac's supervisory skills when he told Danny to drop the case because he then didn't give any hint as to what Danny should do next. I've never had a supervisor just tell me not to do something and then walk away. They've either directly given another job, asked if I had anything to do so they knew where I was and what I was doing, or asked me to go around and check if anyone needed help or if there was a job needing doing.

Probably not the best way to handle it, but Mac was pissed. He gave a direct order and it was disobeyed. I can see why he'd want to make sure Danny wouldn't do it again and well, public humiliation is actually an effective technique. Well, it could be--I guess it's not so much with Danny.

A good supervisor should never use humiliation as a way of getting their staff to do what they want. At the start of the season I was impressed with how Mac managed his people. I thought he was much better than Grissom; I bet he didn't have to be pestered for evaluation reports and was much more aware of how much Stella backs him up, but he's loosing brownie points.

adder--good catch in MIA/NYC. Danny has been willful and disobedient from day one. :lol:

As well as with the end scene, I wondered what was going through his mind after Mac had told him to pass on the case. He was obviously thinking very hard about something as he stood watching Mac in his office. I thought it was sweet when Mac reached out to touch Danny but maybe that actually triggered the act of rebelliousnous? What did you think of his posture during that scene, Top41 ?

I actually don't remember too well--I've only seen the ep once. I'm going to have to rewatch it. I do remember thinking Danny did not look like he was going to give up the case at all.

Did Mac touch Danny in that scene? The touching thing is interesting...I'm sure it's way too subtle to mean anything, but I notice Danny doesn't often touch people. It's usually other people touching him. The one exception I can think of is "Hush" when he and Aiden had their arms around each other, but IIRC, she put her arm around him first. It's probably too subtle to really mean anything, but it could go along with the whole abuse thing if Danny isn't comfortable being touched.

He really didn't expect Mac to be as pissed as he was, that's for sure. It was the end of the day and he just wanted to go home. Maybe if he'd had the chance to think about it he would have said something to Mac the next day but Mac came charging up and caught him off guard. Did he actually do anything wrong legally?

No, but he did disobey Mac, and he knew Mac would be pissed at him. He was trying to scoot out of there before Mac could yell at him. Like Mac was gonna let that fly. :lol:

I also wasn't impressed with Mac's supervisory skills when he told Danny to drop the case because he then didn't give any hint as to what Danny should do next. I've never had a supervisor just tell me not to do something and then walk away. They've either directly given another job, asked if I had anything to do so they knew where I was and what I was doing, or asked me to go around and check if anyone needed help or if there was a job needing doing.

Well, he probably assumed Danny would pick up the next case that got called in. I'm sure there's no shortage of cases for the CSIs, and by now Danny knows what to do.

A good supervisor should never use humiliation as a way of getting their staff to do what they want. At the start of the season I was impressed with how Mac managed his people. I thought he was much better than Grissom; I bet he didn't have to be pestered for evaluation reports and was much more aware of how much Stella backs him up, but he's loosing brownie points.

Agreed, but I think it showed us that Mac doesn't mess around. He knew Danny knew better and he was pissed. And when people are pissed they don't always use the best judgment. I'm not exactly condoning it, but I do understand it.

i think that there are several hints to Mess being abused physically and/or emotionally earlier in life.

the way he handles situations makes it obvious. he tends to avoid things that most likely remind him of past events, he withdraws himself in 'on the job', as someone already stated, he says something to the fact like "i feel very alone in this..".

when he disregards Mac's orders in 'Crime and Misdemeanors', Mac is disciplining Danny (some have already disgussed the need for Mac to pull Danny aside), Danny does seem to sort of cower away from Mac. Danny feels a need to pull away from Mac and disregard him at times, but when it comes down to him taking the punches for his mistakes, he is extremely sensitive to Mac's words.

so there is definetly the evidence to back up the abuse suspicions.

Lenny

Did Mac touch Danny in that scene? The touching thing is interesting...I'm sure it's way too subtle to mean anything, but I notice Danny doesn't often touch people. It's usually other people touching him. The one exception I can think of is "Hush" when he and Aiden had their arms around each other, but IIRC, she put her arm around him first. It's probably too subtle to really mean anything, but it could go along with the whole abuse thing if Danny isn't comfortable being touched.
Not to sure about the touching thing. Wasn't there a pic on the Danny/Flack thread where Danny touched Don's arm? If he has a problem with touching it might just be with the older, male authority type figures.

He was trying to scoot out of there before Mac could yell at him.
But that's the strange thing, he wasn't trying to avoid Mac.It's like after he closed the case he just forgot that he defyed Mac to do so.

Well, he probably assumed Danny would pick up the next case that got called in. I'm sure there's no shortage of cases for the CSIs, and by now Danny knows what to do.
Danny should know what to do but Mac is still the supervisor. It is part of his job to know roughly where his people are and what they are doing. If he didn't want to give Danny a direct order then he could at least given him a choice or suggested some course of action. However, Mac is only human, maybe he had just picked a very bad day to not be on top of the work situation.

when he disregards Mac's orders in 'Crime and Misdemeanors', Mac is disciplining Danny (some have already disgussed the need for Mac to pull Danny aside), Danny does seem to sort of cower away from Mac. Danny feels a need to pull away from Mac and disregard him at times, but when it comes down to him taking the punches for his mistakes, he is extremely sensitive to Mac's words.

Yeah, that's a good observation. He disregards Mac and then can't take the heat for it. It obviously got to him when Mac yelled at him. And the cowering away from Mac was the body language I noticed--I'm glad I'm not the only one! That really stood out to me, and seemed to be an instinctual move.

csifeline, I see what you're saying about Mac--we have seen him assign cases in the past. But his message about what Danny shouldn't be working on was clear.

Yeah, that's a good observation. He disregards Mac and then can't take the heat for it. It obviously got to him when Mac yelled at him. And the cowering away from Mac was the body language I noticed--I'm glad I'm not the only one! That really stood out to me, and seemed to be an instinctual move.

yes... Carmine does a great job in portraying Danny's character and reliving his past, as well as being Messer in the present... he definetly feels a connection to the character to be able to react in the exact same manner as Messer would have in the same situation.

Lenny

yes... Carmine does a great job in portraying Danny's character and reliving his past, as well as being Messer in the present... he definetly feels a connection to the character to be able to react in the exact same manner as Messer would have in the same situation.

Lenny

Yeah, I totally agree with that. I wonder if the writers have given any mandate about Danny's past to Carmine, or if he's just made a conscious choice about playing Danny a certain way. Either way, the body language thing was a nice, non-verbal way to clue the audience into the fact that Danny is actually having a physical reaction to Mac's criticism. To me, that was a big red flag, but it came across nice and subtly.

you know you've found your best role acting when it gets scary because you're relating to the character way more than you're supposed to...

the whole baseball thing in 'the Closer'... Carmine hurt his back- Messer broke his wrist or hand (can't remember).

they both grew up in NY

Carmine says himself that he feels a bonding with this character because Danny Messer reminds him of himself. he's very serious and private, but has that humor to back it up.

Lenny

you know you've found your best role acting when it gets scary because you're relating to the character way more than you're supposed to...

Yeah, no kidding, right? Though honestly, I think the writers are tailoring the character to Carmine. The art, the baseball stuff...they must enjoy writing for him.

Hopefully the abuse stuff is a different story, though. :(

the whole baseball thing in 'the Closer'... Carmine hurt his back- Messer broke his wrist or hand (can't remember).

I think it was his wrist in a fight.

they both grew up in NY

With that accent there's not much of a choice, is there? :lol:

Carmine says himself that he feels a bonding with this character because Danny Messer reminds him of himself. he's very serious and private, but has that humor to back it up.

Yeah, it's always cool when an actor can relate to the character he/she is playing, or obviously enjoys the role. You can kind of tell when actors aren't into it, and when they are. It seems like he's getting into his role. It's a good thing, too--I think he's got the best one on the show thusfar. He's certainly had the most to work with.

Danny Messer is definetly the character who is growing the most in this show.

we know the least about his past, he's the shadyest and dark, he's defensive, he gets you thinking, makes impulsive and bad decisions at times (obvious in 'on the job'), and he has a wolf's point of view (not to be confused with Ryan Wolfe...)

he stands alone, and therefore feels alone. he strands himself. which, most likely, sprouts from the abuse.

Len

Danny Messer is definetly the character who is growing the most in this show.

Yep indeed! That's why he's my favorite...I find him the most interesting. The more we learn about him, the more we want to know.

we know the least about his past, he's the shadyest and dark, he's defensive, he gets you thinking, makes impulsive and bad decisions at times (obvious in 'on the job'), and he has a wolf's point of view (not to be confused with Ryan Wolfe...)

he stands alone, and therefore feels alone. he strands himself. which, most likely, sprouts from the abuse.

Yeah, I think a lot of his "issues" (an over-simplified word) stem from the fact that he has some very unresolved issues from the past. I think it goes beyond being a former bad boy in a gang--characters with a past like that tend to be tough but not emotionally on edge or vulnerable in the way Danny is. And his relationship with Mac suggests he's got Daddy issues, or at the very least, authority figure issues.

Back