Was Danny abused as a child?

exactly. He has worked for Mac for five years and he still thinks that he is out to get him somehow. Danny really is messed up!

:lol: I just pictured Danny on a ropes course hanging on and screaming that no one has his back to his co-workers. that cracked me up! of course, in my senario, Danny is naked and his co-workers aren't around. but I am :devil:

Yeah, Danny doesn't know Mac very well if he thinks that Mac would put department politics over the well-being of one of his people. Please--that's not Mac. I do think it was just Danny's paranoia talking in that scene, and also his own feelings that he's not worth sticking up for. Poor Danny.

And yeah, if Danny was hanging naked on the ropes course, I imagine the Locker Room Groupies would show him that, well, if he was in trouble, there are some gals that would rescue him. :lol: What would happen afterwards, though... :devil: :devil: :devil:

^Aren't there exercises and stuff that can help people work on their trust issues?

I think even before he does that, Danny has to sort himself out inside. In the book I was reading it said how it's the victims rather than the abusers who carry around a feeling of guilt. They can't get on with their lives because they haven't looked at the past and been made to realise it wasn't their fault. They don't think they are loved because they don't love themselves and they don't think they are worthy to be loved. Danny has to 'see' himself properly before he will be able to see how other people view him.

:lol: heh yes I also had the locker room groupie senario running through my head as well. Poor Danny, naked and dangling from a rope and all of us, staring up at him, mesmerized by his amazing body, unable to say anything to him to actually help him! ok, I admit it I just want to see him climb the rope naked.

I think even before he does that, Danny has to sort himself out inside. In the book I was reading it said how it's the victims rather than the abusers who carry around a feeling of guilt. They can't get on with their lives because they haven't looked at the past and been made to realise it wasn't their fault. They don't think they are loved because they don't love themselves and they don't think they are worthy to be loved. Danny has to 'see' himself properly before he will be able to see how other people view him.

Agreed, totally. Danny's self-sabotaging behavior seems to be evidence of this to me. Nick and Sara talked about the promotion they were competing for quite a bit. Has Danny himself ever mentioned being on the promotion grid? Not that I recall. Not even once, I don't think. Why wasn't he excited about it? I think we talked about it earlier in the thread--deep down he probably doesn't think he deserves it. He also probably didn't think he'd get it.

I'd venture he probably has some sort of self esteem problems related to the abuse. Like you said, he probably blames himself, not the person he should blame: the one who hurt him.

I think the idea of Mac hitting the table and Danny flinching would be a good one. Perhaps if Mac was shouting at Danny and then hit the table. It would definately make Mac realise that Danny may have been abused.

Yeah, I could really see this. Can you picture the expression on Mac's face when he puts it together? The "rebellious" behavior, the trust issues, the psych report? Man, that would be really good.

I think his face would be a mixture between shock, anger at himself for not realising, sympathy for danny and relief that he's finally figured it out.

^Yeah, that would be exactly it IMO, too. I think he'd also be hopeful that now that he'd figured out what exactly was eating at Danny, maybe he could actually help Danny.

Nick and Sara talked about the promotion they were competing for quite a bit. Has Danny himself ever mentioned being on the promotion grid? Not that I recall. Not even once, I don't think. Why wasn't he excited about it? I think we talked about it earlier in the thread--deep down he probably doesn't think he deserves it. He also probably didn't think he'd get it.
Aiden was more excited that Danny was up for promotion than he was. Also, when Mac took off his gloves and told Danny he had the scene, I was surprised that Danny didn't say anything. No smart answer, joke or even a serious reply like 'you can count on me', absolutely nothing, like he was in shock.
I'd venture he probably has some sort of self esteem problems related to the abuse. Like you said, he probably blames himself, not the person he should blame: the one who hurt him.
In the book, one of the case studies was a man who couldn't believe it wasn't his fault. The therapist gave him an account of a child being abused and asked whether the child deserved it. The man said 'no' and she asked him 'why is it any different from when you were a child then?'.

I think the idea of Mac hitting the table and Danny flinching would be a good one. Perhaps if Mac was shouting at Danny and then hit the table. It would definately make Mac realise that Danny may have been abused.

Yeah, I could really see this. Can you picture the expression on Mac's face when he puts it together? The "rebellious" behavior, the trust issues, the psych report? Man, that would be really good.

I think his face would be a mixture between shock, anger at himself for not realising, sympathy for danny and relief that he's finally figured it out.

Wow, all at the same time? :eek: Gary Sinise certainly has his work cut out for him. :lol:

Aiden was more excited that Danny was up for promotion than he was. Also, when Mac took off his gloves and told Danny he had the scene, I was surprised that Danny didn't say anything. No smart answer, joke or even a serious reply like 'you can count on me', absolutely nothing, like he was in shock.

Yeah, you're right. No excitment, nothing. And even though he's immature when investigating and always has to present his evidence first (saw him do this in "Tri-borough," too, last night to Maka) and is stubborn about pursuing the cases, we've never seen him have any real faith in himself. It's a strange kind of Catch-22: he doesn't really trust others (he's always doggedly pursuing his own hunches/evidence first), yet he doesn't seem to really be confident in himself.

Have you ever noticed how when Mac yells at him he kind of just stands there and takes it? He'll offer a weak protest sometimes, but mostly he just stands there and hangs his head. Most people are defiant and stubborn even when they know they're in the wrong, but Danny just kind looks like he expects to be yelled at. Or worse. He didn't express a single disappointment or protest at all when Mac told him he was off the promotion grid.

In the book, one of the case studies was a man who couldn't believe it wasn't his fault. The therapist gave him an account of a child being abused and asked whether the child deserved it. The man said 'no' and she asked him 'why is it any different from when you were a child then?'.

See, I could totally see Danny taking this stance. He would never, ever tolerate anything bad happening to a child in a case he was working on (I think he'd take it pretty hard, actually), but I think he'd see his own situation as different. He'd assume he was bad, the adult hurting him was just trying to "fix" him, etc.

If you think about Danny being yelled at by Mac, by Hilborne, by whoever, he always looks so defeated. Like it's not even worth fighting because he thinks they're right about him. Even if Mac was right about how Danny should have listened to him, the normal reaction still would have been for him to defend himself. But he didn't--he just stood there and took it. Did that strike anyone else as being off?

I did. I caught that with maka and presenting his evidence first, as to show what he has. I actually reprimanded poor Danny when I saw it onscreen last night :lol:

It is again unusual for someone to not defend themselves when they are being reprimanded (I love that word today) and yelled at. He just took it and moved on, like he deserved to be yelled at and he doesn't even try to prove his case or make a point.

Yeah, you're right. No excitment, nothing. And even though he's immature when investigating and always has to present his evidence first (saw him do this in "Tri-borough," too, last night to Maka) and is stubborn about pursuing the cases, we've never seen him have any real faith in himself. It's a strange kind of Catch-22: he doesn't really trust others (he's always doggedly pursuing his own hunches/evidence first), yet he doesn't seem to really be confident in himself.
I'd say Danny has been rude to both Aiden and Maka but I got the feeling it wasn't a 'I'm better than you' attitude but more a childish 'look what I've got first' thing. However, in 'Outside Man', I don't think he was wrong to pursue every lead right to the dead end. It was a big case for him and he was nervous and wanted to make sure he'd looked at all the evidence.
Have you ever noticed how when Mac yells at him he kind of just stands there and takes it? He'll offer a weak protest sometimes, but mostly he just stands there and hangs his head. Most people are defiant and stubborn even when they know they're in the wrong, but Danny just kind looks like he expects to be yelled at. Or worse. He didn't express a single disappointment or protest at all when Mac told him he was off the promotion grid.

Haven't seen the ep where he gets taken off the promotion grid yet, just had 'Crime And Misdeameanor' here. He did try to defend himself a little but Mac went all alpha male on him and Danny just kept rubbing his head. I know Danny disobyed Mac, and that isn't good, but apart from that, did what he did really deserve such a dressing down by Mac?

I did. I caught that with maka and presenting his evidence first, as to show what he has. I actually reprimanded poor Danny when I saw it onscreen last night :lol:

Yeah, he's done with Aiden, Maka and maybe even Mac. He's like a little kid with show and tell with that evidence! He can't wait to show his. :lol:

It is again unusual for someone to not defend themselves when they are being reprimanded (I love that word today) and yelled at. He just took it and moved on, like he deserved to be yelled at and he doesn't even try to prove his case or make a point.

It's just unusual. My experience with adults is even when one is in the wrong, defending oneself is almost an instinctual and normal reaction. I mean, if someone's yelling at you, don't you at least try to explain your reasoning? But Danny just hangs his head and takes it. And tenses up. Both strike me as abnormal reactions. Any attempts to defend himself always look feeble, like when he shakes his head. That always makes me sad. He looks so vulnerable and defenseless when he does that. Like a child.

I'd say Danny has been rude to both Aiden and Maka but I got the feeling it wasn't a 'I'm better than you' attitude but more a childish 'look what I've got first' thing. However, in 'Outside Man', I don't think he was wrong to pursue every lead right to the dead end. It was a big case for him and he was nervous and wanted to make sure he'd looked at all the evidence.

Yeah, I don't think it's rudeness either--just impulse. Again, Danny's like a child in some ways and I think that's one of them. As for his behavior in Outside Man, yeah, he was right to pursue every lead, but he shouldn't have ignored Aiden's evidence, which he did for a while. He can be very stubborn.

Haven't seen the ep where he gets taken off the promotion grid yet, just had 'Crime And Misdeameanor' here. He did try to defend himself a little but Mac went all alpha male on him and Danny just kept rubbing his head. I know Danny disobyed Mac, and that isn't good, but apart from that, did what he did really deserve such a dressing down by Mac?

How did you read that scene, specifically Danny's body language?

I think Mac was right to yell at him harshly--Danny shouldn't have defied him, which he did, directly. He probably hoped to nip the behavior in the bud, and was also probably pissed off that Danny basically didn't listen to what he said at all.

I found his attitude stranger than his body language, to be honest. He jokes with Aiden and then Mac comes striding up and Danny's just like 'night Mac', as though nothing is wrong. Hw must have at least known Mac would find out what he had done, even if he didn't realise just how pissed off Mac would be about it. If I'd just defied my boss like that you would've had a job finding me for at least a few days.

As for his body language , the thing I noticed the most was the head rubbing and holding his head in his hand as he walked away. He was stressed and upset with the telling off. I actually thought his posture and movement were how Danny is a lot of the time. He can never stay still and rarely has the shoulders back, head up stance that all the other members of the team have.

I don't think Mac handled it as well as he could have. If he didn't want to take Danny to his office then he should have at least found a quite corner. No one likes getting told off in front of other people.

I found his attitude stranger than his body language, to be honest. He jokes with Aiden and then Mac comes striding up and Danny's just like 'night Mac', as though nothing is wrong. Hw must have at least known Mac would find out what he had done, even if he didn't realise just how pissed off Mac would be about it. If I'd just defied my boss like that you would've had a job finding me for at least a few days.

Again, like a child. I once wrote LOVE on my parents' couch and put a pillow over it and thought they wouldn't find out. I was like four. :lol: They found out. ;) I don't know what Danny was thinking. The adult thing to do would have been to go to Mac (knowing Mac would already know anyways), admitting he disobeyed orders and admitting he was wrong. Mac might have still been pissed, but at least he could have respected that.

As for his body language , the thing I noticed the most was the head rubbing and holding his head in his hand as he walked away. He was stressed and upset with the telling off. I actually thought his posture and movement were how Danny is a lot of the time. He can never stay still and rarely has the shoulders back, head up stance that all the other members of the team have.

Yeah, Danny is slouchy. He doesn't have the best posture but I guess I noticed him literally shrinking away from Mac when Mac was yelling at him. Something about his body language seemed off to me.

I don't think Mac handled it as well as he could have. If he didn't want to take Danny to his office then he should have at least found a quite corner. No one likes getting told off in front of other people.

Probably not the best way to handle it, but Mac was pissed. He gave a direct order and it was disobeyed. I can see why he'd want to make sure Danny wouldn't do it again and well, public humiliation is actually an effective technique. Well, it could be--I guess it's not so much with Danny.

Back