UK Season 7 LV Ep Discussions

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Emerson08, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

Empty Eyes

I really loved this episode for so many reasons. From the opener it was quite clear this one going to be one of those emotionally charged episodes. I enjoyed the opening, but I wasn't too keen on the beginning flash backs. It didn't bother me too much, it was just a little gripe that I had with it.

I want say that Sara stole the show with her emotional attachment with the victim, but I found that there were may emotional moments in the episode involving a few of the actors, which overshadowed Sara's story a little. Funnily enough, I quite liked it not being totally based around Sara. Jorja Fox was fantastic, and she does emotion so well. I really loved the scene with Nick and Sara in the kitchen where Nick said to her "It was good that you were there for her Sara. She didn't have to die alone." That was such a nice comment from Nick. I can't help feeling that Nick understands this type of thing quite well and he seemed to relate to how she was feeling.

The stand out moment of this episode, and probably one of the best scenes in this season, was the scene with Hodges answering the victim’s mobile phone. I admit that when the phone rang and he looked down at it, I was willing him not to answer it, because I didn't really know if he was allowed, as a tech, to deal with something like that. I was also a little apprehensive to what he was going to say. But I was absolutely amazed by him and I thought that scene was played wonderfully. It was obvious on screen that he hadn't done anything like this before. It's incredibly brave to pick up the phone and give a parent news like that. It was wonderful to see Hodges play that type of emotion rather than the usual comic one, and he played it so well. Absolutely fantastic scene.

After that came Warrick heartbreaking scene with the victim’s grandmother. When she told him her daughter had died recently, I really had to hold back the tears. Horrible moment for Warrick. :(

I thought the plot line was very good and I was on the edge of my seat. When Sara told the guy in hospital that she was going to take his prints, I thought to myself "That dude is well dodgy!". He seemed odd from his first scene, he just looked particularly frightening when he was in hospital.

One thing I'm a little confused about is how he was attacked. Did he do that himself? There didn't seem to be an explanation to it.

I loved the scene at the end with Grissom and Sara. I was expecting Grissom to say something logical about emotion on a case, but I was pleased that he didn't. It would have been a wrong move if he did. Wiping away her tear was a great, and showed Sara that he was there for her as a supportive boyfriend.

Overall, I would give the episode a big fat 10/10! Loved it. :)

2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Empty Eyes

This was a good episode. Disturbing but good...

Even though I already knew that Sara found a girl alive I was still shocked when it actually happened. It was a good episode for Sara, and it was interesting for once to see how much these crimes and the scenes can actually effect the CSI's. I agree with Tinkerbell, that it was wonderful to see this different side to Hodges, especially his sorrowful look when he was mentioning to Sara about doing the right thing but still feeling bad.

Other good points to this episode, seeing Warrick for more than a minute (and Greg for that matter). I was sad to hear that Warrick's grandmother has passed away, as his only direct family member I was always hoping we would be introduced to her at some point. :( But, his scene with the grandmother of one of the murdered girls was interesting, and highlighted to me the potential difficulties that CSI's like him and Catherine would have with having longer term connections to the city, and potentially dealing with people they have known for a long time.

It was good to see Grissom be supportive instead of scientific for once, and I think it was a scene that suited the development of their relationship too. Clearly they are extremely close and Grissom now appears able to understand and interpret the emotions of others. As I believe Catherine once said, he isn't very good with people...

Negatives of the episode. As much as I liked the humanisation of Hodges, I can't help to dislike the fact that he answered the phone. Now I know CSI is allowed to stretch science and procedures, and if it didn't then how dull it would be, but never, ever would a lab tech answer the phone. Neither would a CSI in reality. I've heard first hand accounts of people extremely distressed by the ringing of mobile phones and not being allowed to answer them. That to me would have worked as a scene too....

I've kind of lost memory of some of the actual crime. :lol: But, I'm pretty sure the guy stabbed himself, probably in an effort to kill himself.

Anyway, I liked this episode too. 8/10. :) And I'm taking away a great moral to this story. Smoking kills.... there always has to be a moral...

eta: *yayness* for remembering to review the episode sooner than a week after! :lol:

3. britfan

britfan Pathologist

The other Head of Year wouldn't leave so I couldn't get back to this until today. Sorry! Comes with sharing an office I guess...

So, Fallen Idols first -

Loved the whole mystery of this. Where could the kids have possibly disappeared to? Warrick and Sara were excellent preparing themselves for a body in the back of the van. You could feel their reticence to open the sleeping bag... then being relieved nothing was there... I had to breath deep there too.

Lots of black humour again - post coital panty search, :eek: chastity belt and crabs - always good for a laugh!

Had to laugh at Nick, 'I want me a cheerleader... I stalk 'em!' I felt this was his episode as he broke down all the characters involved one by one - especially Charlie. He went for it and still knew he was lying at the end.

Loved how the camera work went from Sheila collapsing to her wide eyed gaze from the morgue table. Nice cinematography.

I have to admit that the photography teacher creeped me out. Being a teacher and knowing never to give out phone numbers and email addresses for our own protection, when it came out she had had a call from Ryan... alarm bells were ringing. It had to be her!

And the photography death bit... a bit uncomfortable. Is it me or is anyone else noticing that the CSI's are making or feel like they are making a lot of mistakes this series? Warrick felt he was slipping, Sara admitted she got too close and lost perspective in Empty Eyes, Cath with Keppler, Griss with the MCSK, Greg with the James family? It's as if they are being pulled down a step or two to make them refocus on their jobs and how they are changing as people - from series 1 to now. Just a thought.

And so to Empty Eyes.

I love Sara centric episodes as it feels like we are going on a journey with her. Loved Committed and I think this was better. Not as tense, but just better.

The whole creeping through the crime scene interspersed with flashback imagery was a good move - following in a killer's footsteps. All the CSI's were shocked at the violence at the scene. Warrick's 'Just follow the blood,' showed his distaste.

You knew Sara was in for a bad night when she came in to work this case on her night off and her date got cancelled because Grissom had to attend the scene. When you're not supposed to be there, it always goes wrong. Sod's Law.

I loved the way the tension built until the reveal that Cammie was alive under the bed - from suspect to victim in seconds. Sara is empathising with victims again. Has her relationship with Grissom made her suseptible to violence again? Then the symmetry in the ambulance holding the killers hand. That was well done. One person had died in he arms, she didn't want another.

Her relationship with Nick was also touching. He was really there for her at the crime scene - especially as we could all see she was not OK despite her protestations. I have missed the closeness between the 'kids' - Sara, Nick, Warrick and Greg, this series. It was only noticeable in Redrum when they stood up against Cath and Keppler, and Sara being there for Greg when he was beaten up.

Sara was determined to get her man - she must hate hospitals- everytime she is attacked, it;s by a patient in one! But I loved the way the killer recognised he was buggered when she noticed his prints were like those on the wine bottle. The close ups on his eyes and her slow turn to face him.. Excellent direction again.

And the ending... awwww! So sweet! Griss is there for her and in public! Our Grissom is growing up, Bless!

Big Shots tomorrow I believe. I hope it's better than the last gangsta one, Poppin' Tags... I hated that! The weakest episode of series 6 in my opinion.

And I am done. Thank you for listening! :D

4. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

I also wasn't so keen on Poppin Tags. I'm really not a fan of rap music, so it was hard for me to get in to. Although, the audio commentary on the episode on the DVD with George Eads is very good! :)

I can't wait until tonight’s episode. I believe it's centered on Greg. *yay* :D

5. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

*yay* for Tuesdays. I trust you all had a nice long bank holiday weekend, despite the poor weather.

Hmm, yeah, I agree about Poppin Tags, it certainly isn't an episode thay I'd be bothered about seeing again.

As for this one, to be honest I've not heard much about it at all, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. :lol: But, it will be nice to have a little bit of Greg time again, and it's interesting to have some continuity with his storyline. The Radio Times noted that this episode was quite complicated to follow, so I'm not expecting great things. We'll see...

6. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Did anyone catchin S7 Toe Tags on FIVEUS last night? It was part of the Death By CSI: Bizzare Weekend for BHW.

I thought it was kinda of strange they shoehorned in a Season 7 Episode in with S1 and S2 episode's. It through me a bit a had to double check I was actually watching FIVEUS lol :lol:

7. britfan

britfan Pathologist

Yeah, I saw it. Being a Billy/Grissom girl, it was nice to see how he has changed in seven years. My friend and I had to agree that he is better looking now than then!

Love the chainsaw bit. Makes me giggle when Sara goes at him with the thing!

8. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Er Big Shots?

Well, granted I wasn't paying full attention, but I have no idea if this episode was any good. :lol:

Seriously, I have just re-read the synopsis to even have a clue what went on. The sum total of what I remember, Greg had some good scenes and came across quite well, Sofia looked pissed off when she had a drink thrown at her, and the undersheriff needs to be taken down a peg or two. Oh, and Warrick didn't seem to break the news particularly well to the Mother whose daughter wasn't really dead, strangely acted maybe but I just thought it was a bit weird. And embarrassing that such mistakes can be made in the first place.

Anyone got a better review than that? I hope so... :p

Happy birthday britfan :)

9. csi_love

csi_love Police Officer

I just got back from my holiday about 20 minutes before Big Shots aired so the first thing I did was watch CSI. Therefore I can't really tell whether it was me not fully paying attention or whether this episode was just a bit...Actually I'm not sure of the word. It just seemed difficult to follow.

Lots of Greg though :D

10. britfan

britfan Pathologist

Nope, Elsie, that pretty much was a thorough review you did right there. CSI needs to drop the gangsta rapper stuff. That's two episodes they have devoted to it and they have produced two crappy shows.

Poor Greg. Working for that sleazy arse of a Sheriff. I was hoping Sophia would smack his face, but sadly not. And his comment to Greg was, I thought, very off. Just showed me how twisted politics is. Grissom is right to be weary of it!

Glad to see Mrs James and Aaron had spent the money they got from the City well. Flash pad and buying dodgy businesses. And fair play to Greg when he gave Mrs James a few home truths - it's all about decisions we make and the consequences of those actions.

This was the worst eppy of the series so far. It just makes me think and hope that the final few eps are going to be belting.

TPTB - please, PLEASE... no more gangsta! It's pants! Thank you!

PS - Elsie? Thanks for the birthday thoughts! :D

11. csi_love

csi_love Police Officer

You know, I've never really thought about the gangsta thing affecting the quality of the episode but Poppin Tags was the worst of Season 6, if not one of the worst made ever. Looks like Big Shots follows it..

12. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

These weeks are going by so fast at the moment! It's Tuesday again. :)

So, I think most people are agreed that Big Shots wasn't the greatest episode of the season, but I really think Lab Rats has the potential to be fantastic. It's really something different for them, but Hodges is great in all of his scenes and the rest of the supporting cast has always shown great potential. It's fantastic that they are being given this chance to shine. :D

Can you tell I'm excited by this one? :lol: I'm really looking forward to it.

edited to add the episode number, I can't believe we're up to 20 already!

13. britfan

britfan Pathologist

I saw the trailers for this while in New York at Easter (wow! we are catching up! :D) and the bit in the autopsy room wi Grissom and the Doc made me wee myself with laughing!

I am VERY excited too, Elsie!

14. GameFace

GameFace Lab Technician

what episode number is this one on next over 'ere then? I'm so confused. I've actually watched all of season 7, but I'd like to know where we are actually up to! I get all me CSI's in a mix trying to watch em all *insert confused face here*

15. csi_love

csi_love Police Officer

Hodges! I love Hodges :)
    And this episode is meant to be good so I'm quite excited about it. 20? Already? Wow only 4 left to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.