The Soundbox--Speculations and Whatnots

Re the books saying Danny's family were cops.
I wouldn't take that as canon unless it's mentioned on the show. It wouldn't be the first time that an author filled in their own interpretation of a character only to have it contradicted as later episodes air.

Very true, and I thought the same thing, but I decided to mention it because it's an interesting possibility. ;)

In "On the Job" when Mac tells Danny that he was discouraged from hiring him, Danny wanted to know who was bad-mouthing him. I think it would be intriguing if he was worried that people might think he's a dirty cop because of his dad.

But you know, I really think it's more likely that Danny's dad was just connected, whether or not he was actually in the mob itself. :)

Yeah, tangling with the mafia would be great! Since we're in the discussion of mobs, how would dealing with the triad (Chinese mafia) sound to you guys? I'm not too sure if they touched something like that in "Rain" or somewhere in S1. I'm not too sure.

And going back to a prospective mafia storyline. A Flack back story could be inserted, since his father or Flack himself has dealt with them sometime ago.

The only thing I can remember that sounds similar is when Danny told Aiden that the 'rub and tug' joints were run by the "Asian mob" in "Tanglewood."

But bringing Papa Flack in is always a good idea. ;)

NY is a popular venue for mafia activity. And CBS themselves stated that the Messer family is mafia-ish.

I think the book they are talking about is the tie-in... Blood in the Sun or something.

I can think of a lot of scenarios where they can introduce Papa Flack....

Going off in a different tangent, spoilers have said that Peyton Driscoll will only be in four eps next season (unless we like her, yeah :rolleyes: ). Are those four eps the first four eps or will they be scattered? Coz if it's the former, I'm wondering how they will explain her in the 5th ep: does she fade quietly into the sunset and we'll only hear from her time and again? Does she get transferred? Does she leave again? Or is she just there at the ME's office temporarily? Giving Hammerback or Pino time off. *Shrugs*

Oh, and I like how she & Mac have their first professional argument in Ep2 :cool:

I'm happy that they're keeping Hammerback. CSI shows have a tendency to make their detectives and MEs important characters apart from their main cast.

Anyway, if they are planning to just give Peyton an arch - three or four episodes, then we can do it both ways:

(1)Four consecutive episodes -- After all, it starts out with Mac in *bed*, right? By episode four, they end. But this won't be good since there will be less time to explain how their relationship came to be, where they are now and basically, the relationship and the character won't be that established.

(2)Scattered -- enough time to see how the team (especially STELLA) would react to the relationship. And not to mention, more Mac drama. We open the season with them being a couple and close it with them breaking up.

So what do you think?

Well, the spoilers say that Mac wrestles with the notion of now actually working with the woman he is dating. And their "professional argument" might be a sign of things to come, that they can't work together. I could see the writers having her leave the lab, but leaving it open that they are still dating, she's just not working with him anymore. That way, if the audience reaction was favorable to that storyline (and her), they can continue having them date offscreen, and eventually bring her back for occasional appearances. If the audience hates her, then she and Mac eventually break up offscreen. I have a feeling the writers might leave themselves an "out", either way.

tiqlado said:
And going back to a prospective mafia storyline. A Flack back story could be inserted, since his father or Flack himself has dealt with them sometime ago.

I would love to see some Flack backstory, and maybe some interaction with Donnie and his father. I remember reading in the Eddie Cahill interview that he suspected that sometime the father figure would rear his head. I hope so! I think lots of people suspect that Flack Sr. is a demanding, egotistical jerk, which is why so many people write him that way in fics. I think maybe he was demanding, but not much more than that. A dedicated cop who couldn't see past the job.

Seeing Flack interact with his dad... A man whose shadow he's had to work to get out from under a good majority of his life. That would definitely be interesting.

I think it would be interesting (hope this hasn't already been brought up ;)) if Danny and Flack's fathers were both involved in some mafia storyline. Flack's dad is sure papa Messer is involved, and we have Danny being a drama queen and poor Don trying to mediate...very interesting, especially when you consider the potential for friendship drama between Danny and Flack. I think the differences in their upbringing would make for a very interesting storyline. ;)

And as for Flack's dad--I think he was probably demanding and very stubborn. But I don't think he was necessarily a jerk so much as he had a very firm idea of where he stood with the law as well as a very specific concept of where others stood as well. That's the sort of thing that could lead to issues where Danny is concerned. ;)

But, of course, we won't know the truth until the writers give us something. :p

Faylinn said:
I think it would be interesting (hope this hasn't already been brought up ;)) if Danny and Flack's fathers were both involved in some mafia storyline. Flack's dad is sure papa Messer is involved, and we have Danny being a drama queen and poor Don trying to mediate...very interesting, especially when you consider the potential for friendship drama between Danny and Flack. I think the differences in their upbringing would make for a very interesting storyline. ;)

You know what, this has a lot of potential. If it doesn't make it to the TV screen, someone should write a fic about it... ;)

Based on the past two seasons, and the beginning of S3, what do we know about the CSIs? I mean, as in their background, their relationships, age, etc? TPTB haven't exactly given us a chart for any of them, but there's tidbits floating around in the episodes. Things like Danny has an older brother named Louie who joined Tanglewood, or that Mac used to work in Chicago.

I just think it would be a useful thing to have, not just for myself but for other fans. Either for fic or just in general.

Good idea, screamingpoet. Maybe that would be a good thread idea in itself, kind of a compilation of what we know for sure, background-wise, about each of the characters. Great reference for fanfic writers, or for anyone who hasn't watched since S1 and simply wants more background info. on the team. The writers have dropped some good info. here and there about everyone, including Sid and even Adam, but it has been scattered at best, and it would be nice to have it all together somewhere, wouldn't it? :)

I'm actually thinking of getting that info to make each character a page on Wikipedia. We have a lot on Danny but none on his particulars -- birthday, age, family, educational background, etc.

As for Flack, apart from his NYPD legend dad and training officer, we don't know anything else.

Back